SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer brake controller? UPDATE pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer brake controller? UPDATE pg 2 Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
So I need some advice again.

New trailer equipped with brakes on one axle so I might as well use 'em right?

The tow vehicle is equipped with the factory tow package, so everything including the wiring for a controller is in place already.

SO... recommend a controller? Nothing fancy needed I wouldn't think. I am seeing them from 30 bucks to 300+ on Amazon. This will be for light infrequent use if that matters...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I’d look at my local salvage yard for an OE controller for your make/model. Plug and play.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
are you sure the controller isn't there too ? My truck cam factory with one. 2018 f 150

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I asked the same, and the near universal response was a Tekonsha P3. It has been easy peasy.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
If your truck came with a factory installed controller, you would know it. It would be right there on the dash in front of you. Most of the time getting a trailer package does not include a controller, it has to be ordered separately. But, you never know I guess.

I have a Tekonsha. It's a solid controller, offers a number of options and not priced too bad. Assuming your truck is prewired for it, and it should be with a trailer Package, it will be completely plug and play.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
are you sure the controller isn't there too ? My truck cam factory with one. 2018 f 150

Not according to YouTube Big Grin I haven't dropped the panel under the steering column yet to see but it is just supposed to be the wiring, labeled, hanging there.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 that has done me well over thousands of miles, including numerous trips over the Rockies. I have pigtails and mounts for both of my trucks, and it's easy to unplug and swap back and forth. It's a proportional controller, so it provides decent brake response and I've been happy with it.
https://www.tekonsha.com/produ...control-proportional

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy with my travel trailer and am very happy with it. It was highly recommended from multiple people when I was looking.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
One trailer dealer wanted $175 to $350 "depending". He didn't know the wiring was in place at the time.

He didn't separate controller cost and labor cost so... I'm not buying his trailer anyway.

Easy install looks to be, Ill do that myself.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
cparktd, I have an instant karma for you if you can use it.

This Tekonsha controller was installed in my Jeep Grand Cherokee when I bought it:

I didn't need it, and it cramped my leg room (I have long legs), so I had the dealership remove it.

The box was in the spare tire area, so it looks like all the original bits are there, incl. paperwork and a 2nd mounting bracket.

It's yours if you want it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Well, I believe Tekonsha is the best, I have one in the garage from when I had a car trailer. I keep thinking that I may get another.

And, ensigmatic is truly the best for offering up an instant karma. Smile

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
have you ever watched the movie "The Long, Long Trailer"? It's a hoot with Lucille Ball and Ricky Ricardo. Lots of discussion about how to use the trailer brake.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
The other's have made solid recommendations. The Prodigy is well known and respected as a solid controller. I will only add that if ordering one ensure you get the plug and play adapter for your vehicle. This makes it extremely simple to install and does not require splicing.

Personally I recommend ordering from E Trailer. Look before ordering how your harness is setup.

E Trailer - Ford F-150 7 pin

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I didn't need it, and it cramped my leg room (I have long legs), so I had the dealership remove it.

FYI do not mount a controller in the knee well area. In the event of a collision your knee will forcibly disassemble it. It’s also bad for your knee.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tekonsha P3 is a fine controller but it seemed wherever I mounted it it was in the way. This was in a Nissan Frontier your vehicle may have better options.

It was replaced with a Hopkins Insight. One little display and one small controller that were easily and unobtrusively mounted along with a sensor mounted on the side of the footwell. Installation took about 20 minutes and it has worked well in some 20,000 miles of towing.

Posts: 771 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:

FYI do not mount a controller in the knee well area. In the event of a collision your knee will forcibly disassemble it. It’s also bad for your knee.

Yup. That's where it was and that was why I had it removed.

I could just see my right knee impacting that thing in a collision.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I’d look at my local salvage yard for an OE controller for your make/model. Plug and play.
Maybe. With relatively late-model builds, anything not as-built is likely to need a BCM re-program.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

This Tekonsha controller...

Wow! Heck yea I'd love it!

email sent

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:

This Tekonsha controller...

Wow! Heck yea I'd love it!

email sent

Email received. I'll get 'er boxed up and on the way.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
This place is the best!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post