SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer brake controller? UPDATE pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer brake controller? UPDATE pg 2 Login/Join 
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Awesome karma, it’s a great controller.

Well done, yet again, here on the forum.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also hate devices that mount to the lower dash. Luckily, my Prodigy fit and mounted into the opening for the ashtray I didn't use.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Email received. I'll get 'er boxed up and on the way.

ensigmatic...
Do any cooking / grilling? Could you use a Thermapen thermometer?
I upgraded to the new version and so I have a used but perfectly working
older one. If you want it... or you know some one who does, it's yours!
Sort of a Karma trade!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2018 Titan had one from the factory . It's easy to overlook but it's mounted in the lower dash . You don't have to remove any panels to find it .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There are some vehicles that are wired for a controller, but are not set up completely to issue braking signals.

A 2007 Suburban requires that the owner fully connect the power and ground wires underhood to certain terminals in the fusebox, and splice in the wiring harness under the dash.

Please ensure that you know that you are sending a braking signal to the trailer before assuming that it just works.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'll buy the offered controller if the OP does not want it... just private email me.

I paid a guy to install one in my van and the first time I plugged it in it over heated... I don't have the time or effort to get him back to see what he wired wrong.... the wiring is not rocket science it could have been the controller.... but at some time I need to take the time and figure it out... the other thing he did that I now don't like is he got rid of the standard small plug in for a trailer.

Seems the big deal on installing these is running a wire to the back... hooking to the brake peddle switch and running a wire direct to the battery, which has all been done.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I’d look at my local salvage yard for an OE controller for your make/model. Plug and play.
Maybe. With relatively late-model builds, anything not as-built is likely to need a BCM re-program.

Can’t speak for others than GM but up to 2017 if it was not factory installed you cannot add the OEM unit to the vehicle. BCM programming is the issue there.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Email received. I'll get 'er boxed up and on the way.

ensigmatic...
Do any cooking / grilling? Could you use a Thermapen thermometer?
I upgraded to the new version and so I have a used but perfectly working
older one. If you want it... or you know some one who does, it's yours!
Sort of a Karma trade!

I rarely cook/grill and, of what of that I have done, never anything that's needed a cooking thermometer or probe. And my wife already has a ThermaPop with which she's very happy.

So, while I appreciate the counter-karma, it would be wasted on me Smile

Perhaps pay it forward by karma'ing to another SF member who could make good use of it?

Anyway... The controller is boxed-up and labeled, but I didn't get that done until after the PO was closed, so it'll go out Monday. I'll email you the tracking number.

(I emailed you in response to your email to me. Did you get it?)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

I paid a guy to install one in my van and the first time I plugged it in it over heated...

Seems the big deal on installing these is running a wire to the back... hooking to the brake peddle switch and running a wire direct to the battery, which has all been done.

For God's sake , if you haven't already , ADD A FUSE to that battery connection ..

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's on the way, cparktd. I emailed you the tracking number & expected delivery date info.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I started hauling a much heavier tractor and decided to get a brake controller for my 2005 Duramax. I ended up with a Tekonsha Prodigy P3, they have some great reviews.

We do have the best members on here.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well thanks again to ensigmatic...

Apologies for the delay but I had some unexpected health issues...
Back hitting it again, just at a reduced pace...

Install was straight forward, just had to know the color codes of the wires to connect as none color matched.

I started to put in on top of the dash after some suggested there might be a clearance issue if it is in the knee-cap area but I was afraid the sun might cook it. So it went on the front of the dash, it leaves me about three inches room and I put it close-ish to the steering column so it doesn't interfere getting in or out either. You have to keep it level and tilted between 0 and 70 degrees of vertical, the angle of the dash front was 60 degrees so it worked just fine.

Easy to program, worked and calibrated perfect from the git-go.

I made one 10 mile haul so far and it worked flawlessly! Really nice. I could not be happier.

SO, thanks again everyone. Sig forum to the rescue once again!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post