SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite venison recipes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite venison recipes? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Got some free deer meatz from a kindly neighbor. A couple pounds each of roast, back strap, and cubed whatever are now in my freezer and I need recipes.

What do we like to do with these cuts (and cubes)?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it on the grill with limited seasoning to kill the waxy taste venison has.

Posts: 17289 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cut the back strap about the same width as a hockey puck (2-3 inches in width) and wrap with partial cooked bacon. Pin the bacon with a toothpick. Cook on a hot grill and enjoy. Don't over cook the backstrap :-)

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

Posts: 68 | Location: northern New Brunswick | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do not do roast's. I would cube them. Save a make chili.

I good venison stew is hard to beat.

Back strap is great to just fry in cast iron and eat as your meat dish.

You could also cut the roast when half frozen into thin strips and make jerky out of it.

I love venison. Enjoy.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Back strap is great to just fry in cast iron and eat as your meat dish.

In garlic butter to medium rare, then dipped in Heinz 57. Breakfast steaks.

Posts: 20133 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
I don’t usually do roast but if I did it would be Mississippi roast google it it real easy and good

Back straps or tenderloin leave em whole. Liberal amounts of Montreal seasoning all over it. Sear high heat on both sides in cast iron skillet about 2-3 minutes a side. Pull off set aside. In same cast iron skillet add mushrooms and sliced onion and sauté to your liking. Cut back straps into one inch medallions and toss back into onion and mushrooms and enjoy with whatever sides you like.

Cube steaks I will use as stew meat or chili chunks I’ve also done Mississippi roast recipe with cubed meat and is good over tater or rice. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1143 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Venison Goulash is really good. Serve on top of egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream on top

Recipe

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1079 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did my entire deer this year into jerky. Yes, the whole deer.
I have been giving it away to hunting buddies for Christmas.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I second that opinion on cutting up the roasts for stew meat. It will taste great.

Roasts just don't turn out all that well with venison. At least thats been my experience.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5057 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Love cubed venison!

And backstrap / tenderloin is delicacy.

My favorite cubed steak/venison recipe …

https://community.legendarywhi...ed-deer-steak-gravy/

I often serve this over jasmine or basmati rice with English peas on the plate.

Just made a variation of this tenderloin recipe last Sunday. Absolutely delicious.

https://www.foxvalleyfoodie.com/roasted_venison_loin/

I slathered the tenderloin with yellow mustard as a binder and the coated it liberally with a rub of pink Himalayan salt (it’s gentler than white table salt or kosher salt IMO) and crushed black pepper. Put it in the fridge overnight to rest. Seared in cast iron pan with grape seed oil, butter, minced garlic, rosemary, and onions for three to five minutes per side. Then baked in the oven at 350 till internal temp was almost 130. Only takes about 10 minutes tops. Took it out and covered it with foil to let it rest for 5-10 minutes or until it finishes at appx 135 degrees internal. Made Demi glaze as suggested in recipe from left overs in original pan drippings.

Served with black rice and roasted Brussels sprouts.

I guarantee you that either recipe will make you sit in a tree before sunrise the following week.

0:01

Posts: 4217 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
When I get a deer, the first meal I make is with a roast.

1) venison roast
1) can of peaches
1) 16oz bottle of ketchup

Mix peaches, juice and all with the bottle of ketchup in a blender.

Pour mixture over the venison roast in a crock pot and cook until done.

The sauce is used on the meat and poured over mashed potatoes.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll give you two ideas.
1- if interested, look up low carb Texas chili. I’ve cooked it with beef and venison several times. Delicious!
2- a friend introduced me to this. McCormick beef stew seasoning. Works great with venison in a crockpot. Easy and very tasty. They don’t even brown the meat.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more. For steaks, marinade overnight in Italian dressing, then grill. I like zesty.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I cook tenderloins and backstraps whole, either on a hot grill or hot griddle. Olive oil, salt, and pepper. It doesn’t take long, stay at medium rare or less.

I use my ground meat for chili mostly. I think it makes fine burgers but they are not for everyone. The ground meat can be a little chewy.

And I love running a ham through the cubed and having country fried steaks. Season your flour, dredge in milk and then flour and fry in a cast iron pan. Make a brown gravy from the drippings. Whatever doesn’t get eaten for dinner winds up on biscuits the next morning.

For some of the lesser cuts like neck, brisket, and ribs, braising and slow cooking is the way to go. I’ve seen a recipe for beer braised venison neck. Tacos from shredded braised meat can also be very good.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10501 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a neck roast as if it was for pulled pork in the slow cooker. Shred and reduce the cooking liquid mix back in and maybe a bit of your favorite bbq sauce. Serve on kings Hawaiian buns.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Venison carne guisada for dinner last night.

Sourdough biscuits with sausage gravy this morning, venison jalapeño breakfast sausage.

Posts: 1079 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I like it on the grill with limited seasoning to kill the waxy taste venison has.

That "waxy" taste is from the tallow, and what turns a lot of people off from venison. The more you trim off the better and why I don't like taking mine to processors as they leave too much on in my opinion.

I err to the side of trimming too much off when I process mine. My venison is almost all meat when I'm done as our family doesn't like that taste / texture.

My mother in law said she didn't like venison, but has eaten deer I've prepared and changed her mind.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Ted Nugent venison stroganoff
By far my fave!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Marinate back strap or leg steaks, 1/2" thick in freshly ground Tibetan salt and Cajun seasoning, both sides for 30 minutes.
Heat cast iron frying pan on hi heat until HOT.
Add 2 TBSP EVOO and butter.
When melted and brown add seasoned venison.
Sear 90 seconds on both sides.
Heat to low, 2 minutes each side.
Serve immediately.
Tasty, juicy and easy.
Enjoy.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post