SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Re-siding the house with vinyl. Time for POE cameras?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-siding the house with vinyl. Time for POE cameras? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
The house currently has wood but after woodpecker and other damage we decided to replace it with vinyl due to cost and ease of maintenance. I'm thinking now is the time to run wiring for a future POE camera setup. Has anyone done this before. Can the Ethernet cable be run behind the siding?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can the Ethernet cable be run behind the siding?

YES

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I would also look into insulated vinyl siding if you don’t mind spending a few dollars more.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I would also look into insulated vinyl siding if you don’t mind spending a few dollars more.

Wish I had thought of that but it's already ordered. The house is pretty well insulated though.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As most cameras are up in the eves, it would be fairly easy to run the Cat 5 cables up into the attic. This could be before or after the siding is on.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Okay sounds good. I'll have to run some up the side of the house while the old siding is off and before the new siding goes on.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Why behind the siding as opposed to through the attic?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Okay sounds good. I'll have to run some up the side of the house while the old siding is off and before the new siding goes on.

You can't run them up (or down) under the siding. The flanges of siding are nailed pretty firmly to whatever it is to which they're attached. You can do horizontal runs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Ah okay.

I was going to have the NVR in the basement. And I don't have any easy way to get the wiring up through the walls which is why I was figuring on going behind the siding.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's why I ran mine up into the attic and hanged the cameras of the soffit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
You can't run them up (or down) under the siding. The flanges of siding are nailed pretty firmly to whatever it is to which they're attached. You can do horizontal runs.

You can drill up at an angle to reach an attic. Also can drill straight into the wall slightly, then drill straight down from the attic if there is room. Then drop a thin line and weight to use as a tag line.

I would run everything in the attic, then bring all the runs down to the NVR at one point. Also best to have two NVRs, one as a working decoy and the main NVR in a hidden location.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
What I want is cameras on the three entry doors, and maybe a couple other spots. One entry door is a walkout basement, the other two are on the first floor. Maybe one or two on the overhang for the front door to watch the driveway.

House is a 2 1/2 story "colonial". It's really just a big box.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
just be sure to not mount the cams too high off the ground. you don't want your security footage to look like the final scene of Taxi Driver.

in other words, you don't just want to see the top of someone's head.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Woodpeckers attack my vinyl siding.

Could you run wire horizontal from camera to corner, then under corner bead upwards or downwards?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Could you run wire horizontal from camera to corner, then under corner bead upwards or downwards?

I suspect that's possible, but I've never tried it, so I'd hate to recommend it.

Problem is: You'd have to do it as the siding's being installed. Contractors tend not to have a lot of patience with on-the-fly homeowner enhancements. (Ask me how I know Wink.)

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Ah okay.

I was going to have the NVR in the basement. And I don't have any easy way to get the wiring up through the walls which is why I was figuring on going behind the siding.

Give a bit more thought to that for the heck of it. I was able to file one interior wall where I could drill a hole in the basement and then up in the attic space. I made the two holes big enough for multiple (10) cat-5 cables. Then I snaked it up. I even left some paracord in place for future runs if needed. From the attic, the cables all run easily to the eves and positions where the cameras are.

Not saying you can do this at your house, but think about the interior walls.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
The only one I can think of would require peeling back the trim and somehow drilling through the bottom plate.