SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody have a high tunnel greenhouse?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have a high tunnel greenhouse? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm seriously considering putting one of these up this year.

I currently have four 4x12 and two 4x4 raised beds in my garden area. These keep me in fresh veggies for the summer, but it is not enough to grow enough to store an appreciable amount.

With the high tunnel, I could greatly increase my growing area, my production, and potentially grow year 'round.

I'm pretty handy at building things, but there are companies out there that sell kits for what seem like pretty reasonable costs. Additionally, there are apparently USDA farm grants available to offset cost somewhat and I'm always ready to get some of my tax money back.

Does anyone have one of these? Advice? Pluses? Minuses?

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I see you are in Montana, does it get windy there?

I have thought of building a type of greenhouse like that, here on the plains of CO, but the winds would destroy it. I would need something much more rigid.

As I drive around the county, I have seen many grow houses that used these high tunnel type greenhouses, and a lot have just been torn to shreds by the wind.

Otherwise, I have no direct info, but would suggest looking at wind ratings for whatever you put up. I'll be following this thread to see what others suggest.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Where I'm at, wind is not really an issue. We'll occasionally get some higher winds but it is rare. Also, the snow load is typically not very high here, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

I can see how either could cause a lot of damage though.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
My bro has had a few and I've help build some. I like em a lot. They are super cool, depending on the poly you can control the climate and some open at the top, fans, different features etc etc. They weren't that hard to build, but it helps to have a small crew.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ The kit I'm looking at has both roll up sides and a fan up top. I'd need to get a heater in there though and am thinking of a propane Hot Dawg similar to the one I have in my shop with a separate propane tank for it.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Yeah the roll up sides are more complicated to install, but not that bad. And you'll be glad you have them when it's hot especially. Depending on height I've zip tied fans to the ceiling bars and that works fine too.

I've seen various different heating options. They insulate well and do pretty good with propane heaters.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post