SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Activist makes list to bust imposters claiming to be Native American
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Activist makes list to bust imposters claiming to be Native American Login/Join 
posted
They’re coming for white lies.

A list of allegedly fake Native Americans has begun circulating in tribal and academic circles, accusing 195 people of falsely claiming an Indian identity for personal gain.

The “Alleged Pretendians List” is the creation of Jacqueline Keeler, a Native American writer and activist who has spent years busting fakers in politics and academia.

“Everyone on this list has made public claims through interviews, in books authored, documentaries, and even in Congressional testimony. They are also all monetizing their claims. These are not privately-held beliefs,” reads her introduction. “We will release the names and findings of all those who are found to have no relation to the American Indian tribe they claim in the United States.”

The list is a hodgepodge, with some entries containing detailed genealogical records to back up the claims, while others offer little beyond Keeler’s j’accuse. The list contains both those being probed and those who have already been disavowed by tribes they claim affiliation with.

The list includes well-known imposters and claimants like Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Johnny Depp, but also less well-known figures in media and the arts.

Nadema Agard, a New York City visual artist who claims Lakota, Cherokee, and Powhatan ancestry, is named. Keeler insists Agard’s heritage traces itself back to Barbados and showed genealogical records which she said backed up the assertion.

Agard denied faking her ancestry and called the allegations from Keeler a “witch-hunt,” and sent her own slew of documents which she said backed up her claim.

Many of the accused sit in prestigious academic perches. Dartmouth’s assistant undergraduate dean, Susan Taffe Reed, is named. In 2015 Reed was forced out as director of the school’s Native American Program over allegedly faking membership in the Eastern Delaware Nations.

Reed did not respond to request for comment from The Post.

The issue of Pretendians made headlines last month when Canada’s top indigenous health expert, Carrie Bourassa, was ousted after her claims of membership in the Métis nation were debunked. Researchers found her people actually originated from Eastern Europe and Russia.

Keeler, 53, a member of the Navajo Nation, was born in Cleveland to parents who went there as part of a voluntary relocation program by the Bureau of Indian Affairs in the mid-20th century

“I am an enrolled Navajo Nation citizen. My mom’s full Navajo. My dad is 5/8ths Yankton Dakota, but they had to choose a tribe,” she told critics in March. “My grandparents didn’t even speak English! Only Navajo!”

Keeler said she was inspired to create the document this year in response to a New York Times op-ed by Claudia Lawrence — a freelance journalist who has since been accused of being a Pretendian. The op-ed was a letter of advice to Deb Haaland, a Native American who had just been nominated to serve as President Biden’s Interior Secretary.

Ms. Lawrence was unable to provide evidence of Native ancestry; she is not an enrolled member of any federally or state-recognized tribe,” an editor’s note above the Times piece now reads. “If the editors had known that there were questions about her connection to the Native community, this essay would not have been published until those questions had been resolved.”

Lawrence is on the list. The Native American Journalists Association has since rescinded Lawrence’s membership.

“Ethnic fraud, particularly against native people is huge,” Keeler said. “There is an element of narcissism. There is a lack of empathy because they will retaliate against native people who try to expose their fraud.

Keeler said the list was a collaboration of many researchers, journalists and activists, but that she had been the one to compile those efforts into a single place.

Keeler says she and other researchers capped the list at 200 to help make the investigative caseload manageable, but that the true number of alleged fraudsters is closer to 500.

Keeler’s list is controversial within native communities as well. A parody website lists her and like-minded natives as “Karendians.”

Rhiana Yazzie, a Native-American playwright, said she had mixed feelings about the list.

“Pretendians are a major problem yet I’m disturbed that there’s a list like this that feels arbitrary. I’m not sure who is investigating and what the consequences are,” she said.

LINK: https://nypost.com/2022/01/01/...ke-native-americans/

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
.....but I have high cheek bones!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’ll be following this story for a while. While I am quick to dismiss the ‘poor me’ claims of most “Pick your Race” American groups, the American Indian is in a different category altogether. Their story is one part of our American History that I’m not exactly proud of.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I hope Chuck Norris's name isn't on that list (one-fourth Cherokee). For their sake.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://docs.google.com/spread...hcHT2BH44/edit#gid=0
^^
This is the link to the list. Didn't see Chuck Norris on the list.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that this is necessary and long overdue, and if it prevents any more of these phonies from popping up, these Indians yes I said Indians will have accomplished much.

The bonus in this is that most or all of these frauds are leftists. Ward Churchill is on that list. Remember that asshole?

I knew a woman who managed to get into Optometry school by claiming Indian heritage, and the word is it was just a lie. She looked about as Indian as Jimmy Stewart.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
https://docs.google.com/spread...hcHT2BH44/edit#gid=0
^^
This is the link to the list. Didn't see Chuck Norris on the list.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Lot of those folks are in academia….do they not think that people won’t dig into it? Of all the things to claim, being an Indian shouldn’t be one of them. Don’t they know the tribes keep records?

Sheesh..just mind boggling

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Lot of those folks are in academia….do they not think that people won’t dig into it?
There was a time not too long ago when these frauds could get away with this stuff, but it looks like the gravy train is entering the station.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Haha.

Pretendians.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
There is lore in my family. All of my life I remember hearing how my great grandfather was a medicine man who ran a clinic for other Indians since they could not get healthcare from the white man. He had a white nurse assistant with whom he fell in love. They couldn't be married so they carried on in secret. My grandfather was born of that affair. He married my grandmother but the culture frowned on the interracial relationship and they split up. My mother and her brother were born of that marriage. As a youth we visited my "Indian" grandfather at his house in Oregon. His place was decorated with all kinds of Indian stuff. He wore Indian style clothes and turquoise. He had long straight hair parted in the middle and ponytailed. He sure looked the part to me.

That is what I was told and believed. Sometime after Billy Jack in the 1970's the culture changed. Now everyone wanted to be part of the 'noble, peaceful, persecuted' Indian tribes. Lore stories were ubiquitous. This would be around the time Elizabeth Warren came out of the closet and shed her whiteness. She clearly was not alone. My family lore was declared more boldly and I participated.

I began to doubt as I matured past my youth and early adulthood. I quit retelling the story and excused myself from the discussion when it came up. Sometime in 2010 my uncle had a DNA test done to prove his heritage. It came back negative for Indian heritage. He was crushed as were the rest of the family. My suspicions were confirmed. What is most distressing to me is that in spite of the science that indicates otherwise, they all still insist that our heritage is Cherokee. It's kind of Jussie Smollett-ish.

Anyway, I hate falseness and artificiality. I will not be a part of it. So I reject my family lore and think those who believe it in the face of the truth are somewhat emotionally unstable.

Edit to add: LOL Cher is a Pretendian.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
They already got this guy.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Darthfuster’s post is exactly why I never understood or put any stock in “ethic pride”.
1. It’s in reality got nothing to do with YOU.
2. In many cases you really have no idea if it’s even true or not. (Oh yeah, we never told you, you’re adopted. So where is your heritage pride now?)

What is there to be proud of?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like Jacqueline Keeler needs to connect with Don Shipley. He'll show her how to track down and expose frauds.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about this. I know of a family that tried to adopt a child who was part Cherokee, was being brought up in an abusive family, the would-be adoptive family really loved this little girl.
The Cherokee tribal council refused the adoption because the little girl would have been brought up by a white family.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Lou Diamond Phillips on that list

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
They already got this guy.

Hey, he was from the Eagle Eye Talians tribe! Big Grin

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Lou Diamond Phillips on that list

So is Ben Nighthorse Campbell. That could get embarrassing.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Somehow I can only think of Sopranos references when I hear about this.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@darthfuster

With every passing generation the odds of having DNA from a Native American ancestor plummets. If they are the only Native Americans in your family tree then chances are any DNA passed down would have been lost by now.

Think of it this way, although you do get 50% of your DNA from each parent, that doesn't mean that every single building block of your DNA is 50% from each parent. If your father has blue building blocks and your mother has red building blocks you don't get blocks that are half red and half blue. You get some red blocks and some blue blocks. What happens to the blue blocks from your father that weren't needed because you got the red blocks from your mother? That DNA is lost to time.

I'm 1/64th Cherokee. I have an ancestor that married and had children with a Cherokee woman. I've seen the family tree and have visited their graves, well, at least his grave. Though they are in the same cemetery in southern Illinois, they couldn't be buried next to each other. She is in an unmarked grave somewhere in the cemetery.

I also have had a DNA test and it shows no Native American ties. That DNA has been bred out of me. If my ancestors would have continued to have relations with Native tribes then the likelihood of my test showing Native American ties would have been higher, but she was the only one so her DNA eventually was part of the 50% not passed down.

I hope that makes sense.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post