SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tpms tire monitors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tpms tire monitors Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted
do i have to have these installed i have a 2014 rogue i want to get a set of winter tires on the rim from tire rack so i can swap myself and get a good set of summer tires for the summer months i keep my cars until they die so i have some years to go i hope

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
no you'll just set off the warning light

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25668 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Larger commercial installers may balk at putting them on w/o sensors since they’re required, but if you’re ordering them mounted from TR, I assume you’re going to be swapping them out yourself, in which case, the only downside is going to be the perpetual idiot light.

There’s also the consideration that you’ll have deliberately disabled a required safety system, but that shouldn’t become relevant to anything unless something happens because of your tires.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I can tell you is that some Toyota owners have decided to put tape over the TPMS dashboard light.

That being said, my wife finds it useful. I rely on the old fashioned method of "does it look flat?".

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Just put themnon. That warning will pay dividend when it goes off. Daughter had a low pressure warning and was abke to return home to the compressor.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I never bothered for my snow tires/wheels. The light can stay on for a few months. I always look at my tires (and the whole exterior) before I get in it (yeah, I'm paranoid)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 150.00 each for my 2013 Pathfinder "Just put them in dosn't always fly". Sometimes it's worth it to just look at them before you drive.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
With no signal from any sensor, the TPMS light will flash annoyingly for about a minute, but then stop flashing and just stay on, every time you start the car. It won't kill you.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
On my car, the warning comes up and pre-empts all other informational systems.

I hate TPMS - and wish I could dispense with it.

Maybe remove the sensors, wire them up in the glove box to a small airbladder at 45 psi.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
the the sensors cost 260.00 for all 4 and stealership wants a 115.00 to relearn the new sensors i could buy a the tool for that much

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Larger commercial installers may balk at putting them on w/o sensors since they’re required, but if you’re ordering them mounted from TR, I assume you’re going to be swapping them out yourself, in which case, the only downside is going to be the perpetual idiot light.

There’s also the consideration that you’ll have deliberately disabled a required safety system, but that shouldn’t become relevant to anything unless something happens because of your tires.

-Rob

What is this requirement to have TPMS that you speak of??

————————————————

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I swap out snows on my Tundra with no sensors and get used to the light in a few days. Last winter on my wife's Rav4 the idiot light never even came on all winter long with the snows on. The TPMS system isn't perfect and I'd never rely on it more than my eye or my gauge.
Neither Goodyear or the dealer would put the tires on either truck without sensors but I swap them out myself anyway. I also found out this past spring that the light didn't stop my truck from passing state inspection

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

-Rob

It's a HUGE liability for a shop to disable a safety feature. If someone has a blow out and kills themselves from a flat tire, they could sue and win from the shop that installed the wheels with no TPMS sensors and the shops liability insurance will most likely not cover the claim.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never put them on my winter tire rims. With my old Jeep GC and my "new" 2015 Ram the light comes on for a few miles and then goes off. I haven't had the warning light stay on at all.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know... it's a pain in the ass.
I've been driving for 35 years and I've never had a problem keeping an eye on my own air pressure. Yes, I get it. My wife never checks, and I have to keep an eye on hers too. But the TPMS system is a pain in the ass. More trouble than it's worth.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The TacomaWorld forums taught me how to disable the irritating light entirely. I have all my life kept my tires up to pressure without idiot lights, and I still do.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

You know... it's a pain in the ass.
I've been driving for 35 years and I've never had a problem keeping an eye on my own air pressure. Yes, I get it. My wife never checks, and I have to keep an eye on hers too. But the TPMS system is a pain in the ass. More trouble than it's worth.

I keep an eye on my own tire pressures too. My vehicle has one that just has an idiot light, not actual pressure for tires. But, 1 time it REALLY saved my ass. I was driving and everything felt normal, but the light came on, I had a 3/8" tap stuck in my tire and the pressure was 28 psi. It alerted me soon enough to drive from the highway and get off and drive to a place I could safely change the tire before it went too flat.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

It's a HUGE liability for a shop to disable a safety feature. If someone has a blow out and kills themselves from a flat tire, they could sue and win from the shop that installed the wheels with no TPMS sensors and the shops liability insurance will most likely not cover the claim.

That was not my question. He mentioned TPMS is a REQUIRED thing. I am curious where he heard that.

As for liability that would come into play if you removed it without the owners knowledge. The owner wants it removed there is no issue there. Have them sign a waiver if they request it be done.

————————————————

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's what Tire Rack says about it:
https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tpms%20Law

And in this article this article Tire Rack explains that the 2000 TREAD bill was signed into law, mandating the use of "suitable TPMS technology...." All new models produced after September 2007 are required to have the system.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Here's what Tire Rack says about it:
https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tpms%20Law

And in this article this article Tire Rack explains that the 2000 TREAD bill was signed into law, mandating the use of "suitable TPMS technology...." All new models produced after September 2007 are required to have the system.

Yep. That’s the one. Feds decided to meddle because a bunch of soccer moms in SUVs couldn’t be bothered to maintain their damned vehicles and rolled them all over by driving poorly on squishy tires.

Firestone took a lot of the blame and we all get to pay for it now.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post