SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tpms tire monitors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tpms tire monitors Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i opted not to put them on you don't have to have them working in New Hampshire to pass inspection.
i went with the blizzak WS80 and a rim they had on closeout

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
At 150.00 each for my 2013 Pathfinder "Just put them in dosn't always fly". Sometimes it's worth it to just look at them before you drive.

That is quite a lot of money you put out. I knew I was putting 4 tires on my 2008 Yukon. I went on Amazon and bought 4 sensors at $24 each. Costco, who installed the new sensors with the new tires charged me an addition $6 per tire to install the new sensors.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Check out these guys:

https://www.tpms.com/

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
With no signal from any sensor, the TPMS light will flash annoyingly for about a minute, but then stop flashing and just stay on, every time you start the car. It won't kill you.

Well you are not OCD then. It could kill some people, or at least drive them completely bananas.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

... I knew I was putting 4 tires on my 2008 Yukon. I went on Amazon and bought 4 sensors at $24 each. Costco, who installed the new sensors with the new tires charged me an addition $6 per tire to install the new sensors.
I like the sound of that a lot more than $150/tire. Personally, I will not routinely drive with an idiot light on. I am afraid I will get in the habit of routinely ignoring them.

I am a big believer in checking tires, oil level, etc. frequently, and not waiting for an idiot light to tell me there's a problem. But sometimes things do suddenly go wrong.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
With no signal from any sensor, the TPMS light will flash annoyingly for about a minute, but then stop flashing and just stay on, every time you start the car. It won't kill you.

Well you are not OCD then. It could kill some people, or at least drive them completely bananas.

Indeed.

The TPMS (stands for Tire Pressure Monitoring System, btw) on my 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer worked flawlessly--until it didn't. Got very erratic. Was driving me crazy. In the end if turns out those sensors don't last forever. (They're battery-powered. Duh.) Discount Tire found the one that was giving the system grief and replaced it. Being as I'm a regular customer they didn't charge me an arm-and-a-leg.

Life is good again Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Say what you will about TPMS but they saved my butt on two different occasions. I pull my Jeep Wrangler behind my motorcoach.

First incident I lost a rear dual tire from a tread delam. Had a tire delivered to me and installed roadside. With the tire installed started going down the road three miles out and sensor went off same tire I was able to find a safe place to park and called the tire service again. Turns out the installer used the old stem extension worn rubber seal equals loss of pressure. I would have lost a new $650 tire.

Second incident lost air in the rear right tire of the Jeep. It occurred in a construction zone in Denton TX first available pull off was a mile down the road. I was able to slow down, and creep off the road to an on ramp to change the tire. Lost the tire but not the wheel. That could have done more damage. I could not feel a thing from the drivers seat. Not one vehicle driver in the left lane going past me gave me a heads up that I had a flat tire.

I have heard of extensive damage and even vehicle fires from an over heated flat tire. So I will not run down the road without my TPMS working on my coach and Jeep.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

It seems they could have at least designed them with replaceable batteries.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

It seems they could have at least designed them with replaceable batteries.

I agree there, up until about 6 years ago the RVers only option was to buy new sensors some companies are now offering sensors with replaceable batteries not so much for the automobile companies.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I ordered 4 new Michelin tires for my sons car. It's 7 years old. After reading and rereading these threads I decided to buy 4 TPMS sensors and the rebuilding kits that go with them for a total of $155.75 including tax and shipping.
Even worth it to pay Costco to install them for me. I read a lot of reviews about the TPMS system, and most agree that the batteries and hardware on these are good for 7 - 10 years. I don't want to put on new tires and have a sensor go bad one at a time. STS, now Mavis last year gave me a quote of around $100 per sensor to replace. I'll pay now the lower price and be done with it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I have two sets of wheels (street/track) for my '03 Corvette. All have TPMS sensors. Each time I swap wheels, I need to go through a procedure to "re-train" each sensor to the car.
The sensors perform a valid safety function. They have informed me of low pressure tires and over-pressured tires while on the track.
They are battery powered and last 5 - 10 years. I just replaced all of them in my track tires.
If you have them and they go bad, please replace them.

Posts: 591 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yesterday, I ordered 4 new Michelin tires for my sons car. It's 7 years old. After reading and rereading these threads I decided to buy 4 TPMS sensors and the rebuilding kits that go with them for a total of $155.75 including tax and shipping.
Even worth it to pay Costco to install them for me. I read a lot of reviews about the TPMS system, and most agree that the batteries and hardware on these are good for 7 - 10 years. I don't want to put on new tires and have a sensor go bad one at a time. STS, now Mavis last year gave me a quote of around $100 per sensor to replace. I'll pay now the lower price and be done with it.

I have a 2008 expedition delivered in Dec 2007, it still has all of the original TPMS sensors.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I have a 2008 expedition delivered in Dec 2007, it still has all of the original TPMS sensors.

Last year I had to replace all 4 on our 2008 Yukon XL. First one went, a month later another, so I had them all done.
Since I'm paying for new tires on a 7 year old vehicle, I would just rather put them in now then pay again in a year to have them replaced.

Living the Dream

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ok, so if TPMS is REQUIRED, how come it can't tell you which tire is low?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Ok, so if TPMS is REQUIRED, how come it can't tell you which tire is low?

Some vehicles will.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The real value comes in to play when you have a spare that is a pain to get to, like mounted under a 4Runner or hanging on the back of a RAV4 with one of those tight fitting covers.

Honestly, how many of you saying you always check your tire pressure are 100% sure that your spare has adequate pressure?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
They ARE a PITA, as well as added expense.

BUT....Few years back we picked up a nail in a construction zone outside of Sparks, NV. The TPMS alerted me....Was able to asses the situation, hit a tire shop and get it fixed.

Had I continued north, it probably would have gotten flat enough for me to figure it out, or it may have simply ruined the tire. I am now in the middle of nowhere. PITA to change tire by the side of the road...or worst case scenario, BLOWOUT and maybe I hit another car?

I'll stick to the TPMS sensors and install them in my rims.

Have a spare set of all seasons on rims for my Camaro. Bought my sensors off of Amazon. Roughly 40% of what the Stealer or tire shops wanted. Also bought a senso rest tool off of Amazon for $19...WITH batteries. Takes all of 2 minutes to reset all four tires.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a licensed repair shop, if your car comes in with a working TPMS system, it has to leave with a working system. If it doesn't work or shows a problem, you can leave with it that way. You could change the tires yourself or disable your system before you arrive to have your summer tires swapped. True, it's a PITA but if just one person is inconvenienced, it's all worthwhile.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 345 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post