SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update in OP: Hard copy orders in hand for RDC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update in OP: Hard copy orders in hand for RDC Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Update: In addition to hard copy orders, it looks like I am gonna be solo on this one. Whether that means divorce or just geobaching I dont know.

Looking forward to it. I think I'm gonna downsize considerably, sell off quite a bit of my stuff. I think I've almost talked myself out of the travel trailer life while I'm there, I'd LOVE to do it, but I think finding a spot to park it full time just over the border in WI is gonna be tough. Talked to a member who is about an 1:15 away and I think with the 12+ hour days that's gonna be a bit of a stretch.

Gonna start looking for some places to live. I'll be leaving in 8 months.

Anyone have a spot for me to park my camper to live LOL!

Just got released to screen for RDC duty at Great Lakes, I’m hoping everything goes well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6625 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
You will be getting kinda close. Welcome, I’m just behind the cheddar curtain .

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
That'll be fun, camper in the frozen north! Buy some spare propane tanks Smile

And blankets, lots of blankets.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I did boot camp and "A" school at GLAKES.

Boot camp on the shores of Lake Michigan in February...Wheeeeeeeeee...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Just in time for winter

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, I think. How cold does it get up there? Still a beautiful place to see.

Posts: 7087 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Would prefer winter there to summer in the heat and humidity Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19775 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Chicago area, misery loves company!
At least you can sneak through enemy lines and escape to Wisconsin.
I think IL. Beach State Park in Zion is open year round, but no hookups.
No Campground in the Midwest will have hook-ups available till Spring.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I did A school there too. It's a cold, windy base in the winter.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I did Boot camp there Jan-March. BRRRRRRRRRRR, I have no memory of what it looked like, it was buried under many feet of snow the whole time I was there.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10378 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Started boot there in Feb.'65. Lived in the old WWII barracks. I remember we had to stay up all night sweeping the snow off the streets in two hour shifts. Soaked to the skin dungaree uniforms to hang in the laundry drying room while we changed into the next set of clothes and then back out to do it over again. Talk about a cold place in the Winter!

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2436 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did Great Mistakes the winter of '79. We wore everything they issued each morning.

I learned to sew my pea coat buttons on with dental floss because you didn't want to lose a button.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What is RDC? How long will the assignment be? It’s just too damn cold up there for people like me.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What is RDC? How long will the assignment be? It’s just too damn cold up there for people like me.

RECRUIT DIVISION COMMANDER

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10378 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Chicago sucks, except for the food. The upper Midwest and Great Lakes region is fantastic, though. Upper Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula will be an easy day's drive away...all kinds of opportunities for outdoor activities. Winter is cold but ice fishing is pretty popular. Spring and early summer has bugs, and late summer and fall are amazing. Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating...all that good stuff.

Buy some good cold weather gear if you're coming in the next month or two...you'll need it.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was there in late July to early October '78 for Hospital Corps School. Most of my class was from "up North" and complained about the heat and humidity in August. I (originally from NC) and a classmate from south GA just looked at one another and had a good belly laugh! Actually reflect on that time with fond memories. Congrats and best wishes.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chicago sucks, except for the food.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was an misinformed statement if I ever heard one. World class museums are there. People from abroad travel to Chicago to visit them. Please stay in the sticks.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see your Command does not like you.

Sending you here, in Nov / Dec...
You're going to freeze your butt off!

Email is in the profile, I'm on the South Side of Chicago, about 90 Min drive from GLNS. I had to make that trip a few times way back when Glenview NAS Closed and we were in need of a SCIF.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Chicago sucks, except for the food.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was an misinformed statement if I ever heard one. World class museums are there. People from abroad travel to Chicago to visit them. Please stay in the sticks.

Yeah, Chicago is nice, if you can look past all the shooting and gang violence...501 shot & killed, and 2217 shot & wounded thus far in 2023, but there's still time for new records to be set! Wink

Here's the map --> https://heyjackass.com/2023-homicide-map/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9442 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
REALLY? Please stay in NH. Do you seriously think I do not know this? Recycling old news and statistics. Do you even know where the museums are??? Please stop with the trolling behavior or at least stick to a topic you know something about. Thanks.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post