SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update in OP: Hard copy orders in hand for RDC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update in OP: Hard copy orders in hand for RDC Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
REALLY? Please stay in NH. Do you seriously think I do not know this? Recycling old news and statistics. Do you even know where the museums are??? Please stop with the trolling behavior or at least stick to a topic you know something about. Thanks.

But you were extolling the virtues of the Windy City...Museums & stuff! Wink

Seriously though...You don't know, what you don't know!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9442 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I lived in SE Wisconsin for 22 years and Chicago, the actual city not a 'burb, for 2.

Seriously, it's not that cold. I was still sailing on Lake Michigan in November and didn't put my motorcycles away until the first ice on the roads.

St Paul, MN in January/early February was cold. Single digits and lower.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
Started boot there in Feb.'65. Lived in the old WWII barracks. I remember we had to stay up all night sweeping the snow off the streets in two hour shifts. Soaked to the skin dungaree uniforms to hang in the laundry drying room while we changed into the next set of clothes and then back out to do it over again. Talk about a cold place in the Winter!

You were there a year ahead of me. WWII barracks were still there. Warmed up by knocking ice out of the shower heads. Fun times

Posts: 808 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I spent 4 yrs there as an RDC from 98 - 02. One of the best jobs I've ever had at the absolute worst command I've ever had. Most of my experience there will not be relevant to what you would be getting into.

We hated being there for many reasons but we made the best of it. There are so many world class things to see and do, both in Chicago and the surrounding states. Love it or hate it, if you are bored, you can only blame yourself.

We lived in base housing to minimize my travel time to work and back due to the insane hours I was working but many others lived up in Wisconsin because, well, its not Illinois. One RDC i knew did live in a 5th wheel but i don't remember where he parked it. There was a campground on NTC with RV spots but I don't know it they have long term options.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3904 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
There's a FamCamp there.
https://www.navymwrgreatlakes....11-a93d-cadb1a3e8dab

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2002 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Chicago sucks, except for the food.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was an misinformed statement if I ever heard one. World class museums are there. People from abroad travel to Chicago to visit them. Please stay in the sticks.

I live 2 hours from Chicago. I've been there more than enough, including the museums. They're nice, but not worth the hassle of getting to them, paying outrageous money for parking, and dealing with the crowds once you're there. I stand by my statement. And if Illinois wouldn't force me to drive through there every time I go west by routing all the interstates in their state right through that cesspool, I'd happily stay in the sticks.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Anyone have a spot for me to park my camper to live LOL!

Just got released to screen for RDC duty at Great Lakes, I’m hoping everything goes well.

I'm confused. I thought Great Lakes was shut down???

That's where I did my A school. That was my first introduction to winter. I would double up my pants doing shore patrol on base at night. We would go from manhole cover to manhole cover where the steam was coming out. But as soon as we stepped off, I would feel my pants shrink and stiffen.

I lived off the roach coach and the sandwich vending machines. I remember there was one slot that was always giving two for one. For some reason, I never did go to the chow hall.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OttoSig:
Anyone have a spot for me to park my camper to live LOL!

Just got released to screen for RDC duty at Great Lakes, I’m hoping everything goes well.

I'm confused. I thought Great Lakes was shut down???

https://www.glenview.il.us/abo....%20Navy%20buildings.

You may be thinking about Glenview NAS, kinda nearby, shut down in the 90’s.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Still got the screening process but I’m feeling good about it.

I’ve always wanted to be an RDC.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6625 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Well, you’ll get your choice of coast assignments when you’re done Wink

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

...You may be thinking about Glenview NAS, kinda nearby, shut down in the 90’s.

http://www.airfields-freeman.c...icago_N.htm#glenview

Posts: 16020 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago is fine. At least no worse than any other major City. Just use some common sense and situational awareness and you should be ok. Make sure you don't go to the south and west sides. If you go downtown make sure you leave before it gets dark outside. The museums are great and well worth the time, money and effort to get there. As a matter of fact I just took the boys there last week and didn't get killed or mugged. We particularly enjoy the Museum of Science and Industry. The U505 exhibit there is worth the price and effort just by itself. Same thing with the coal mine. The Museum Campus (which is separate from the MSI ) has several museums in it that are well worth a look. The Field Museum, the Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium are all there and worth a look. We go to those at least once a year in addition to the MSI.

A lot of people boo hoo Chicago. It's a big City. They have problems with traffic, crime etc. Just like all big cities do. It's not Mayberry. But one can have a good time there and make it out alive to live another day. And visit another day. Enjoy your time here.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you! It is a professional sports mecca as well. Two pro baseball teams, NBA basketball, NHL hockey team,NFL football. THese are worth a look. Every major entertainer does a show there, not to mention big name bands and acts. It is also the home of Loloapalooza, if you enjoy that sort of thing. Graduate students in architecture travel there to study the building. Sinatra even sang a song about the city.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What is RDC? How long will the assignment be? It’s just too damn cold up there for people like me.

I think it's the Navy version of an Army Drill Sergeant or a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, right?

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What is RDC? How long will the assignment be? It’s just too damn cold up there for people like me.
I think it's the Navy version of an Army Drill Sergeant or a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, right?
When I was in Navy Boot Camp, Bainbridge MD, 1956, he was called the "Company Commander."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Not red dot connoisseur then, got it.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I think it's the Navy version of an Army Drill Sergeant or a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, right?[/QUOTE]When I was in Navy Boot Camp, Bainbridge MD, 1956, he was called the "Company Commander."[/QUOTE]

Bainbridge is gone. I did my Fire Control Tech A School there. Saw Louis Armstrong put on a show in the EM Club. It was awesome. They even had Happy Hour before the show and I was at a table right up front. You should have seen the babe that was on stage with him!

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2436 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Boot camp starting in January 1969 - Brrrrr. A School was next. We drove by the place a few years ago and it looked the same.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - Bainbridge is gone. I walked the area recently - cracked roads and wild grasses are all that’s left.

As for Great Lakes - I was there 9/76 - 10/77. Boot Camp, A school and then C school. COLD? Yes, just a bit. I think they set a record for consecutive days below zero (32 degrees below freezing). Wind off the Lake all the time. But was it bad? No, it was an experience I’ll never forget. Also got to see Pink Floyd in concert at Soldier Field. Also memorable.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve lived in the western suburbs all my life. I worked in the city for 7 years. The traffic sucks. You can see temps down in the -20’s on bad days. Mean January temps around 10°. The food is incredible, just about anything you could want. World class museums, and world class assholes as well. Plenty of sports as has already been mentioned. The one thing not mentioned yet is the music. Outstanding jazz and blues clubs in the city, and music festivals in the summer. It’s a great place to visit I could never live there. You’d need to put effort into being bored.
Did I mention the horrible traffic? Best of luck and thanks for your service!

Posts: 1178 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post