SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2023 annular solar eclipse visible in eight states
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 annular solar eclipse visible in eight states Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“A 'ring of fire' will appear over parts of the US when the moon passes between the sun and Earth during the 2023 annular solar eclipse.

The cosmic event will occur on October 14, starting at 12:13 pm ET in Oregon and concluding three hours later in Texas.

Only eight states will be in the path of the eclipse: Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Texas.

The annular eclipse also extends into Mexico, Central America and South America.

This will be the first time in 11 years that an annular solar eclipse has been visible in North America, previously seen over parts of the same eight states. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12453573

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
The last total solar eclipse was in 2017, and I saw it in Tennessee. There will be another total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024. I highly recommend getting in its path.

I don’t recall seeing an annular solar eclipse, but I’m sure the “ring of fire” is cool. But there was something special about the total- day turned to night (almost)- birds got quiet- I felt a connection to primitive man being awed by the heavens.

Posts: 3436 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I've seen an annular eclipse, but I do remember it being nowhere near as impressive as the 2017 eclipse. I don't get awed very often, but I got a sense of the same thing that honestlou did. A sunset in every direction, the temperature plummeting, and seeing the solar corona. I'm going to make a point of seeing the total eclipse next year, probably from Texas. This one would be cool to see as well, though.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I haven't seen an annular eclipse so this should be fun.

We've already booked a cruise for next spring to see the total eclipse from the Pacific.

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
There will be another total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024. I highly recommend getting in its path.

My IT director has had a trip planned to the pathway in TX for a year now. Not sure how excited his family is but they are going!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We have an RV site booked in Wimberley for April. Cool

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post