SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know of a gutter seam sealant that works well?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know of a gutter seam sealant that works well? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Not Flex Seal.

I have some short angled gutter stretches that are leaking and the trim behind them is starting to be a concern.

Anyone know of a really good sealant that I can get into the seams of already installed gutters?

Posts: 17898 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Polly butyl, and a good hot solvent for prepping the area.

DAP has some that is made for gutters.

I have always liked DAP products.

If your gutters are aluminum, likely vinyl clad, a small brass wire brush and the solvent should be fine.

If they are plastic/vinyl (PVC), then the solvent/primer plumbers use Oatey clear to prep.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3M 5200. It is sold at Lowe's and HD. We use it extensively in the marine industry, it lasts at least 10 years in the sun and salt, and is incredibly strong. Don't use it on anything you want to take apart. But on a gutter it should be ideal. It is used in the marine industry for anything underwater, sealing thru hulls, where it is submerged in water 100% of the time, it's also used above the waterline on anything that's permanently mounted and needs to be 100% waterproof. It sticks to aluminum really well. Around $16 a cartridge for a caulking gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Not Flex Seal.

Actually this is what I’ve used with very good results. I bought a quart of it and after about 2 years it’s still holding well

DO NOT get the rustoleum version, only lasted about 60 days

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
100% silicone should work.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Geocel is what you want.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 3M 5200.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I used Henrys roof repair. It worked well. Drys even in wet locations.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Flexseal three years ago and it was still okay when I sold the house this past June. Bad commercials don't always mean bad products.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post