SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What level of training do execution staff receive?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What level of training do execution staff receive? Login/Join 
posted
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27...execution/index.html

It can't be much as this sort of thing seems to happen quite frequently. I can't imagine an ER or OR staff screwing around for hours to start an IV if he was a regular patient.

I'm not arguing that the shit bags don't deserve what happens, but the staff are acting on our behalf to do it right. It seems like the lethal injection method is a bit too technically challenging for efficiency.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
the staff are acting on our behalf to do it right.

Eighteenth century French peasants seemed to manage the guillotine with no difficulty.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hamm's attorney, Bernard Harcourt, wrote Sunday in a blog post following a physician's two-hour exam of his client that "the IV personnel almost certainly punctured Doyle's bladder, because he was urinating blood for the next day. They may have hit his femoral artery as well, because suddenly there was a lot of blood gushing out."

"He has pain going from the lower abdomen to the upper thigh," Harcourt wrote, noting more than 10 puncture wounds. "He is limping badly now and terribly sore."

Hamm on Tuesday was back on death row in solitary confinement, Harcourt told CNN, adding that a doctor's report of the exam would be filed by Wednesday.
"Physically, he's sore," Harcourt said of his client. "Emotionally, he's traumatized."

I wonder if he thought about how his victim felt...

I hope he feels pain and suffering. His lawyer should feel it too for defending an asshole like this.

Lethal injection doesn't seem practical. I say use the firing squad and use some of the poorest marksman you can find. Hitting non-vital areas would be solved with more ammunition, which is relatively cheap.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't a coup de grâce be a standard part of any "execution" ?
How is it that this guy is still alive to whine about it ??!?!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
[QUOTE] I hope he feels pain and suffering. His lawyer should feel it too for defending an asshole like this.

If that's what you want, then make the penalty some kind of torture instead of simply death. Propose it, get it passed and face the Constitutional challenges.

Your second point might make it difficult for anyone to get a competent defense.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Bullet to the brain is all that should be needed.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should outsource it.

Lil Kim seemingly has no problem with doing the dirty deed.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
apparently they were paid to botch it up

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I applied for a job as an executioner about 30 years ago. I was told they wanted someone with a medical degree. Eek

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is hard to work up much sympathy for the condemned, but we should still do it correctly and without error if we are going to execute people.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with a firing squad? Helluva lot easier to train prison staff for that than lethal injection and you don't need to worry about a company not selling you bullets.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The firing squad was used at the request of the inmate in 1977 . Gary Gilmore . Armed Robbery and Murder .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
It seems like the lethal injection method is a bit too technically challenging for efficiency.

Boggles the mind that they screw it up occasionally.

It ain't rocket surgery. Start IV, screw on the syringe and push.

In this case though, to be fair, if he had had chemo for his cancer and a history of IV drug abuse, his veins probably were exceptionally bad, making the start much more difficult.

I'm in favor of a bullet behind the ear or a proper hanging. Both are quick, cheap, painless, and humane.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is hard to work up much sympathy for the condemned, but we should still do it correctly and without error if we are going to execute people.

I agree.
But I also think that "correctly and without error" should be judged by the primary goal: "does he end up dead?"
Nothing is perfect, and I am willing to tolerate a lot of imperfection.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:But I also think that "correctly and without error" should be judged by the primary goal: "does he end up dead?"
Nothing is perfect, and I am willing to tolerate a lot of imperfection.

In this case, he did not. They gave up.

posted Hide Post
Certainly ways to get creative if you get bored on the job.

Point in case: The Green Mile and Law Abiding Citizen. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Forgetting to water down the head sponge on "Ol Sparky" will create a nice light show.

Posts: 528 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Nitrogen and the problem would be solved.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
what do two rounds of .45 hollow point flying ashtrays cost? The bill his family.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Go to Nitrogen and the problem would be solved.

I was thinking Nitrous Oxide. It's too frequent we hear about folks accidentally offing themselves with that stuff, in an attempt to get high.

No veins, no chairs, no rope, no firing squad. A small tent, a cylinder, and a valve operated.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post