SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What level of training do execution staff receive?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What level of training do execution staff receive? Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I don't know the training standard, but if we intend to use lethal injection the personnel who perform the IV insertion should know and be adept at hitting all the major places (arms, wrists, hands) and have experience with central lines.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I don't know the training standard, but if we intend to use lethal injection the personnel who perform the IV insertion should know and be adept at hitting all the major places (arms, wrists, hands) and have experience with central lines.

Just grab one of the heroin junkies fwill find a rom the jail. They vein in no time.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Go to Nitrogen and the problem would be solved.

I was thinking Nitrous Oxide. It's too frequent we hear about folks accidentally offing themselves with that stuff, in an attempt to get high.

No veins, no chairs, no rope, no firing squad. A small tent, a cylinder, and a valve operated.

HOW DOES NITROGEN KILL AND WHAT WOULD YOU FEEL BEFORE DEATH?

Nitrogen makes up roughly 78 per cent of 'normal' air.

Oxygen, the gas essential for life, makes up around 20 per cent.

If the oxygen percentage falls below ten per cent, it can be deadly.

Nitrogen gas causes death through a process called 'nitrogen asphyxiation' via the odourless, colourless and tasteless gas.

The gas is completely undetectable to human senses, and so in theory you're unlikely to feel a thing.

But that has not stopped campaigners from arguing that its prospective use for capital punishment purposes is inhumane and must not be allowed.

They argue that there is not sufficiently strong evidence to prove the safety and legality of the new process.

Campaigners also say that many things can go wrong when the state seeks to terminate involuntarily the life of someone who wants to live, who will be struggling determinedly and trying not to breathe.

Normally, when a person suffocates they will experience severe pain as carbon dioxide builds up in the bloodstream.

Nitrogen gas does not cause this build up of CO2, so there should be no discomfort preceding death.

To perform nitrogen asphyxiation as capital punishment, the condemned would be sealed in an airtight chamber pumped full of the gas.

This would cause a painless death by lack of oxygen.

People do die accidentally of nitrogen asphyxiation, and usually they never know what hit them.

It may even be possible that death by nitrogen gas is mildly euphoric.

For instance, deep-sea divers exposed to too much nitrogen develop a narcosis known as 'raptures of the deep,' which feels similar to being drunk.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They are executing a guy here in Georgia today convicted of crimes since 1977.
Yes, they really need to be sure he did it first but 41 years?
If they had done it more expeditiously he would have been electrocuted.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
The firing squad was used at the request of the inmate in 1977 . Gary Gilmore . Armed Robbery and Murder .

We used the firing squad in 2010 here in Utah to end Ronnie Lee Gardner.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Broa...ah/story?id=10949786

firing squad is our back up method should drugs availability become an issue.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Let’s get creative. If viable, put them under and harvest their organs. They took life now let them give it!

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27...execution/index.html

It can't be much as this sort of thing seems to happen quite frequently. I can't imagine an ER or OR staff screwing around for hours to start an IV if he was a regular patient.

I'm not arguing that the shit bags don't deserve what happens, but the staff are acting on our behalf to do it right. It seems like the lethal injection method is a bit too technically challenging for efficiency.

According to the article the condemned had chemo and prior IV drug use. That can make starting an IV a major PITA. There are other ways to obtain IV access. Ultrasound to look for a vein, insertion of a PICC line, doc to do a cutdown for a central or femoral line. Easiest, just screw an IO into the tibia. Quick and can be done by an EMT or nurse.

Makes me wonder what type of personnel are conducting these procedures.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:Makes me wonder what type of personnel are conducting these procedures.

I wonder too. Corrections personal with minimal training? Throw in a difficult "patient" and an inexperienced/nervous practitioner and trouble ensues.

Posts: 8960 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of hanging myself. It's worked for centuries. The rope and the gallows are reusable too. Eco friendly and all.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Even that has issues. Improper drop, beheading, choking, scaffold/rope breakage. No need for the theatrics if something as simple as the nitrogen room will do.

Posts: 8960 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
ANYTHING can be screwed up, even this new nitrogen thing. Oh well.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very true. Never underestimate the ability of people to screw things up.