SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SL 550 for E350C4? -- Too Late, It's Been Sold :(
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SL 550 for E350C4? -- Too Late, It's Been Sold :( Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
If you don't understand the nomenclature, this thread may not be for you. Smile

I currently own a 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 Coupe 4Matic with just under 28,000 miles on it. I have dreamed of owning an SL-class for quite a while. My M-B salesperson is also a personal friend. She knows to contact me if she ever sees the "unicorn" I'm looking for.

Now I have the opportunity to purchase from CarMax a 2014 SL550 with new tires, 20K on the odo, and possibly the remainder of a 4-year, 50K warranty. Trading in my low-mileage E-class would give me the down payment (and more) on the SL, and my payments would stay roughly the same.

What's the down side?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fpuhan,

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
If you don't understand the nomenclature, this thread may not be for you. Smile

I currently own a 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 Coupe 4Matic with just under 28,000 miles on it. I have dreamed of owning an SL-class for quite a while. My M-B salesperson is also a personal friend. She knows to contact me if she ever sees the "unicorn" I'm looking for.

Now I have the opportunity to purchase from CarMax a 2014 SL550 with new tires, 20K on the odo, and possibly the remainder of a 4-year, 50K warranty. Trading in my low-mileage E-class would give me the down payment (and more) on the SL, and my payments would stay roughly the same.

What's the down side?

Not much downside that I can see, besides the financial hit. Either way, you're going to be out of warranty soon, and you are already likely aware of MB maintenance costs.

If it's within your means, I say go for it. The SL550 is a great, fun car.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2014 SL550

No rear seats for other passengers. Other than that, I like the black on red.

P229

Posts: 3828 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the last person to try to talk anybody out of an automobile acquisition (I have TWO Jag XJS's) but the only downside I can see would be giving up the 4 wheel drive. If that is not critical in your location, go for it. I love those SL's myself.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no help because an E coupe is my favorite Mercedes.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't warn you away as I recently picked up a lightly used SL65 AMG and love it. Just save up for the maintenance after the warranty is gone. It's only money.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
only downside is whether you will want the AMG after you buy the SL.

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
You won’t live forever. Buy what makes YOU happy.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
2014 SL550

No rear seats for other passengers. Other than that, I like the black on red.

Even though my E350 Coupe has rear seats, one would have to be a double-amputee in order to sit in one.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
As evident by the statistics, I don't put many miles on my Merc. Last year, on a whim, I bought a little smart fortwo electric drive (the house I bought had the EVSE equipment already in place), and it's become my daily driver. I pull out the E350 once a week to keep it running, but it stays mostly in the garage where the elements can't get to it. It's always clean and shiny when I pull it out.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Do it and get CarMax’s extended warranty!!!
They are pretty solid and reasonable warranties.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Only loss will be a little leg room in the back seat, though since you have the coupe, you already were cramped back there. We had a 4-door E350 and even it was more cramped than I'd really like in a sedan. We went to an ML once we had the 2nd kid.

Otherwise, you've got 8 cylinders instead of 6 so your fuel consumption will go up a bit.

But SLs are dead sexy and real sleepers in the sports-car market, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Really, try to get it through MB's CPO
B) As long as you have a garage, your MB should do much better. I don't have one, and I don't think I'll get another MB until I do.
C) Er... I have an 2015 e550 cabriolet... Its a comfy way to cruise from stoplight to stoplight, get idiotically bad gas mileage, and have to press a bunch of buttons to turn off the neutering every time you drive it. (Start button, disable eco button, engine/transmission to sport button)
D) They moved the cruise control to the "wrong" side of the turn signal (at least, on my '15 E)

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Back seats? Who cares about back seats. Do the deal if you can work the numbers. No point being the old man in the nursing home crying, “I should’ve done this” or “I should’ve done that.”

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Do it.

"There is no replacement for (engine) displacement"

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M278. Say no more!

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
After getting my ducks in a row (trade-in value on my E350, etc.) I went to start the process only to find the SL no longer available. Frown

There is a SL63 that caught my eye, but it's pricier than I wanted to pay for an indulgence.

Looks like I'll be holding on to the E350C4 a bit longer.