SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Denver metro Real Estate Agent AND CCW permit holder fights off (and shoots at) man trying to rape her at house showing....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Denver metro Real Estate Agent AND CCW permit holder fights off (and shoots at) man trying to rape her at house showing.... Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Freaking good for this woman... hit with bear spray and still fought back...

Source: Denver real estate agent survives attack by man during open house
POSTED 6:22 PM, AUGUST 7, 2019

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- A local real estate agent survived an attack by a man she was showing an open house to in Commerce City.

At 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, real estate agent Dawna Hetzler of New Dawn Realty and Metro Brokers Elite pulled up to the Aspen Hills Condominiums for her scheduled open house. Hetzler has been in real estate for 14 years.

As she turned on the lights at the home, a man knocked on the front door. He said he was interested in the property.

“He was asking the right questions about how long it had been on the market. We talked about loans and what he might qualify for,” Hetzler said.

Hetzler showed him the kitchen and living room area. Then, he asked to see the rooms upstairs.

“At that point, we got into the master bedroom and he pulled a knife out," she said.

Cornered in the master bedroom, Hetzler said the man laid out a knife and six-inch rope.

“He wanted me to take off my ring and go in the closet, and at that point, his intentions were deadly, in my opinion,” Hetzler said.

Fearing for her life, Hetzler drew her handgun that she is licensed to carry.

“As I drew my firearm, and he saw that I had that, he doused me with bear spray. At that point, I could not see. I could barely see. My skin was burning, my eyes were on fire and so I fired," she said.

Police say it’s unclear if the bullet hit the man, but he was spooked and ran off.

“My primary purpose is to capture this man. We want to get him off the streets so we live in a safe society,” Hetzler said. “My life was in danger and if I did not have my firearm, I would not be here today.”

Meanwhile, Hetzler hopes to encourage other realtors and women to be prepared for the unthinkable.

“I have heard about fearing open houses. I don’t live my life in fear. I live my life in faith. Faith trumps fear," Hetzler said. "For my fellow realtors, we always hear take two to an open house. Two is not enough, you need to know what you’re going to do in any certain circumstance and be able to act on that. For my fellow women out there, every woman has experienced some type of trauma and if you have not shared your story with police, and perhaps it needs to get to the police, then share it. There’s healing in sharing.”

Commerce City police detectives are working with Hetzler to create a sketch of the man. They are hoping that will generate tips and ultimately lead to an arrest.

If you have any information about the incident, you’re urged to call the Commerce City police tip line at 303-289-3626.

Hetzler is an author and Christian speaker, with a passion for encouraging women. She writes a blog twice weekly.

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for her. Lucky he ran, instead of circling behind her. Blind and guessing on the assailant is too late.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I hope he caught lead for his troubles, & is dead in an alley somewhere.

That’s damn nice shooting by the lady.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Drat. I was hoping he had bled out somewhere.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I was a RE Agent for 21 years and I can tell you this is a very real problem for Agents. Not for me (Older, ugly, male), but for the female agents I worked with. We never had anything as bad as this story, but lots of unwanted advances by men pretending to be buyers. I kept telling them, ladies you need to start carrying, but to my knowledge none of them did.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like that attack was well planned. He was prepared for her to fight back.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen more than a few cases of realtors raped and/or murdered showing houses. I encouraged my realtor friends to carry, but most won't.

Criticizing tactics is fine, but you must realize a female Christian realtor may not have the same tactical skills as a LEO or former soldier. Alls well that ends well.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
six-inch rope.

What was he hoping to do with a 6 inch rope?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
six-inch rope.

I’m thinking typo. Probably meant 6 foot rope.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Beat that sunuvabitch to within an inch of his life, let him recover, rinse and repeat. I'm with maximus and arfmel...wish he had bled out in a painful, horrible death.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doc45:
Dirtbag found and under arrest.

https://kdvr.com/2019/08/08/ma...nt-in-commerce-city/

He is in custody and they are still unsure if he was hit or not? I'm going to assume that is lazy editing and he was not shot?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
six-inch rope.

I’m thinking typo. Probably meant 6 foot rope.

Or was supposed to read six-inch knife and a rope

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
He is in custody and they are still unsure if he was hit or not? I'm going to assume that is lazy editing and he was not shot?

Lazy editing. They inserted the arrest at the top of the original story and one sentence below the original story instead of adding all new info with an "Updated blahblah" and then "Original Story blahblah" to show the separation.

Meanwhile, good on her for being prepared and good on her for following through. We had a guy killed here in MD at a model home this past December by an 18-yr-old who went there simply to rob the guy. Only 33, two young kids, terrible story.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My wife's a realtor and open houses should only be done with more than one agent or another person present. She only meets new customers at the office first or has another person with her if it's at the house.
I know of several other agents that have a gun but none carry it in a method that would be accessible in an instant. So it's actually next to worthless as a self-defense tool.
The truth is that this agent did several things that are a bad idea. Complacency is the enemy of good habits. Nothing else had happened to her in those fourteen years that made her alert enough and she took shortcuts. At least she did carry on her person and was clear headed enough to save her life.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post