SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting smoking question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting smoking question Login/Join 
posted
How many times have you given up smokes, got pissed off, and went out and bought a pack?
I’m not sure I learned to count that high in school. I’m long over them thank God but it was a real bitch.

Posts: 971 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Tried quitting twice, was successful on the second try with the help of vaping 13 years ago. I dropped the vape after a year, toward the end I was making my own vape juice with zero nicotine

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking several times. My father died at age 63 and when it came up to what would have been his 70th birthday (2-24-86) I decided to quit in memory of him.
It worked that time, I haven't had a smoke since 11:45 PM Feb 23 1986.

Many people have found that quitting on special date helps.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I did cigars for a year until my doctor scolded me, so I quit cold turkey. Never went back.

I've actually considered taking it up again on a very occasionally basis, but just haven't done it. Probably a good thing.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went cold turkey following my triple bipass. Never went back.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Tried quitting twice, was successful on the second try with the help of vaping 13 years ago. I dropped the vape after a year, toward the end I was making my own vape juice with zero nicotine

Same for me. I used the vape for about 18 months then just quit when it broke. First thing I noticed when switching to the e-cig was easier breathing and a much thicker check book. The e-cig was literally pennies on the dollar compared to a pack of smokes.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking in 2018 after 3 or 4 sincere tries. I picked up the habit back in 2000/2001. Tried Chantix- worked both times but I started again about a year later. Tried e-cigs, that didnt do it for me. I tried patches- hated those, and the gum was ok. Eventually I started using Swedish Snus- General Mint to be exact. I traded one bad habit for another, but I got me off the sticks for good. Im trying to wean myself off snus and switch to pure nicotine non tobacco pouches like Zyn.

Maybe give the pouches a try- they give you all the nicotine you could want, and they work better and taste better than gum.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3453 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
It was either April or May 2001 I smoked my last cigarette, crumbled up the empty pack, threw it away and for me that was it.

Before that I smoked a little over 1/2 a pack a day. I also smoked cigars at the time and quite those at the same time.
Over the years on a few occasions I was tempted but never did, I managed to stay away from both cigars and cigarettes.
What made it even easier was what the cost had gotten to.
For me it was easy but for others it can be very difficult.
Good luck to anyone trying to quit smoking.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I tried so many times to quit. Tried everything patch, gum, meds. I'd quit for a month, a yr, 6mo, 2 yrs. Every time all it took was bumming 1 and within a week I'd be back to a pack aday. One day about 12 yrs ago I put them down and walked away. Cold Turkey it takes sheer force of will and a determination to want to live. Set your mind to it and know there are people that don't want you dead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2182 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I quit several times. I have been smoke free since August 2000.

I know 4 things:
1) It takes just one cigarette to start again.
2) The craving eventually goes away.
3) Only the smoker can decide to quit.
4) It is the best thing I have done for myself and my family.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Early 1975 my Wife found out we were expecting our first. She quit right then.
I'd had a lousy cold all week, so I could barely puff one down, so I quit too.
We threw away the ashtrays and I crumpled what was left in my last pack and thew them away. I'm such a cheap-ass that throwing away something unused was the psychic nail in smoking's coffin.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
April 2, I celebrated my 53rd year without them. Think of how much money I have saved? Every day, put the $5.00 or whatever in a jar and at the end of the first year, buy yourself a very nice gun or 2.

It isn't easy, but you can do it.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by southernmaninla:
I tried so many times to quit. Tried everything patch, gum, meds. I'd quit for a month, a yr, 6mo, 2 yrs. Every time all it took was bumming 1 and within a week I'd be back to a pack aday. One day about 12 yrs ago I put them down and walked away. Cold Turkey it takes sheer force of will and a determination to want to live. Set your mind to it and know there are people that don't want you dead.

It was this for me also. In November, it'll be fourteen years.

I started smoking when I lived in New York. Shortly afterwards, it went from $4 a pack to $10 a pack with the new state taxes. I moved to Florida, and it was $4 a pack, and then a few months later, went to $10 with the new state taxes. I moved to Washington, and it was $4 a pack, and then a few months later, went to $10 with the new state taxes. I got so pissed off about it that I quit cold turkey.

Like southernmaninla said, if you bum a cigarette, you'll be buying your own pack and then you're off and running. Just don't do it. Revel in the suck, and know that it passes.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I quit a bunch of times for 15 minutes to a day. Then in 1985 I was smoking one and said when I finish this one I quit. I never touched another one.

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I quit using patches about 17 years ago and haven’t had one since. I know lots of folks who just can’t shake it, keep it up.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
24 years. Quit cold turkey on day two. Day one
with a nicotene patch gave me the wildest dreams
I've ever had. The only times I had cravings was when I would be agitated or frustrated about something. Giving up the alcohol was a little harder.
Hang in there! You will feel so much better.

Posts: 970 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch your diet. I gained quite a few pounds when I quit. But it's still better than smoking

Posts: 970 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad quit twice.
First time, cold turkey & replaced a cigarette with a Whopper. Gained 25-30lbs & went back to smoking for a year or two.
Patch/gum after that & it stuck. Hasn't had one in probably 20 years.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
October 29th, 2000. Cold turkey and never went back, mainly because I hated the smell after only 3 days. Washed everything and what I couldn't wash I threw out.

Posts: 1993 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I smoked for the better part of 50 years. Tried to quit many times. but never successful. In December of 2019 I landed in the ICU for three days and then three more days in a regular hospital room. Of course I could not smoke while in hospital, but in day three in ICU I realized I had no desire to smoke. I don't know why or how, but I have not had a desire to smoke since. I wish I could take credit for being brave enough to quit cold turkey, but in truth I had nothing to do with it.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post