SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kid friendly movies/videos about Revolutionary War?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kid friendly movies/videos about Revolutionary War? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Friend has an 8 year old that’s all about the Revolutionary War and he’s looking for age appropriate videos. Any suggestions?

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I remember this one from Disney when I was a boy.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=...FORM=QBLH&sp=3&ghc=1

Disney also did this one about Colonel Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=...FORM=QBLH&sp=3&ghc=1

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Patriot with Mel Gibson.

Just kidding. That one's a bit intense in some places.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
PBS did an animated children's series several years ago about the Revolutionary War, called "Liberty's Kids".

You can buy the entire 40 episode series on DVD for under $10:
https://www.amazon.com/Liberty...onkite/dp/B00CMDPTTA

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Yeah... I wouldn't want my 8 year old seeing an R-rated movie.

"The Crossing", about Washington's crossing of the Delaware River, may be a better choice for a relatively modern live-action movie for a younger viewer. It's a TV movie from A&E, so the violence is tame compared to an R-rated film, though it may still be too intense/violent for an 8 year old. (It's been a while since I've seen it, and I can't recall.)

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Johnnie Tremain is the best.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Movie was ok, the book was better.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Johnnie Tremain is the best.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

--------------------------------------

I haven't seen that one, but I wonder why Mel is so obsessed with pulling or blowing people's guts out? He ain't right, is what I think.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1907 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Razz Sam Adams' cantankerousness might wind up warping a little mind or two.

"I'm obnoxious and disliked - "

"Yes, that's true!"

The History Channel trots out a mutiple-episode series every Fourth of July that's really very good. Maybe there's a way to get access to a copy.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
PBS did an animated children's series several years ago about the Revolutionary War, called "Liberty's Kids".

You can buy the entire 40 episode series on DVD for under $10:
https://www.amazon.com/Liberty...onkite/dp/B00CMDPTTA

quote:

Yeah... I wouldn't want my 8 year old seeing an R-rated movie.

"The Crossing", about Washington's crossing of the Delaware River, may be a better choice for a relatively modern live-action movie for a younger viewer. It's a TV movie from A&E, so the violence is tame compared to an R-rated film, though it may still be too intense/violent for an 8 year old. (It's been a while since I've seen it, and I can't recall.)

I had seen a number of the Liberty Kids years ago and they are good.
Thanks for the reminder. Grabbed the disc for my boys.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Liberty's Kids". Used to be on Saturday morning TV programming for years. Quite interesting.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Schoolhouse Rock had a couple of episodes.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I realize videos / movies were asked for but what about the Rush Revere book series (by Rush Limbaugh).

Supposedly really easy for kids to read and non-partisan.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When they get a little bit older and ask why WWI started, borrow the DVD 3-disc series "37 Days" from your local library.

37 Days is a British drama miniseries that was first broadcast on BBC Two from 6 to 8 March 2014. The three-part miniseries covers the 37 days before World War I , from the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria on 28 June 1914 to the United Kingdom declaring war on Germany on 4 August 1914.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post