SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coleman cooler

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Coleman cooler Login/Join 
Picture of Airpusher
posted
I have been looking at the Coleman steel sided coolers, some of them are called "steel belted." I usually only camp for three days at a time in 50-90 degree weather. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the performance of these coolers? I think they just look cool.

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The old ones were pretty good. I'm curious about the new ones.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The new ones don't hold ice worth a damn..... The igloo marine ultra coolers are as good as a yeti at holding ice and don't weigh 75 lbs.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
We had one for many years, but it finally "disappeared". Cool, yes, but over time the metal latch got rusty, and the drain leaked. I think the steel made it a bit heavier as well. They just don't have the insulation of the better coolers these days, so I doubt it would keep ice for 3 days in 70+F weather. On the other hand, mine fell out of the bed of a pickup at 30 MPH, and survived without much damage.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I still have my old one from 1973. It could have a better latch which I had to fix.

I think the later all plastic foam filled with good sealing top are probably better since there is more insulation or looks that way.

I have about three different sizes of the plastic ones as required.

They claim this one keeps ice for 6 days with outside temperature of 90 degrees.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0RZQJ4/ref=dp_cerb_2

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Coleman brought back that 'classic look' about 15-years ago, mainly to stir the 'heritage' selling angle. They'll perform (like most decent coolers) so long as you pre-cool the insides before use and use enough ice (lots cubes or, big block) to keep things chilled. Beyond 36-hours, its a crap shoot.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem we have around here is in a salt water environment rust gets to them pretty quick. I prefer the regular igloo coolers nothing to rust, replacement parts are available, if you want the cool to last a large no time, pre-cool before use then use large block ice and open the lid as little as possible, and make sure that everything that goes in is already cold.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Report This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Airpusher:
I have been looking at the Coleman steel sided coolers, some of them are called "steel belted." I usually only camp for three days at a time in 50-90 degree weather. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the performance of these coolers? I think they just look cool.

I have one from the sixties,metal lid and sides,still going strong.
That cooler came up in my divorce thingy decades ago,I kept it.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post