SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How deep is necessary for footing for a gazebo...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How deep is necessary for footing for a gazebo... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Okay, it's more a pavillion thing. Here's a link to what we have.

https://purpleleafshop.com/col...avilion-for-backyard

Anyhow I have to dig footings. My frost line is like 3' deep. But I only want to keep this from blowing away. I'm not as concerned about potential frost heaves.

For decks and stuff the code is 4' deep. I am putting 12" tubes in. I'd rather not go 4' deep. I also have to step the top of the front footings so they go under the pavers. I'll attach the pavers to the footing and one of 3 bolts will be attached to the paver, the other 2 attached to the footings.

Reason for above is simply the measurements. I don't want to cut the pavers around the footings. I have the mortar mix to attach the pavers to concrete footings. Same stuff the pool guy used to attach the coping pavers around the pool.

Anyhow, could I go 2-3' on the footings and be okay?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It depends on what the inspector will say. If you don't need an inspection I think 3' would be good.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
How strong are winds in your area?

I thought I was good to go with a 6" reflector telescope on an equatorial mount with heavy counterbalencer weights. An unusually strong rare gust of wind near 90 mpg toppled the scope causing major damage. You never know. Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Winds can be strong. No inspection. The roof is one of those vented double roofs with a hole in the top to dissipate wind. I’m at about 3 feet on my first hole and there’s nothing but gravel in the hole and it’s really hard to get out with a post hole digger. It just slides off I think I’m gonna stop at 3 feet on this one

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I built a large gazebo that Costco sold 10+ years ago. It had 6 posts. I dug down 3’ and filled each hole with concrete putting threaded rods exposed to tie it all down. It never moved in the wind.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Winds can be strong. No inspection. The roof is one of those vented double roofs with a hole in the top to dissipate wind. I’m at about 3 feet on my first hole and there’s nothing but gravel in the hole and it’s really hard to get out with a post hole digger. It just slides off I think I’m gonna stop at 3 feet on this one

Yes, up north here I always go down three feet. Do you have any farms nearby? Most farmers around here have an auger post hole digger attachment for their tractors. That's what I used when I built my pole building. Or you could always rent one.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’m going 3’ and more where it’s not too hard. Changed my mind on stepping the footing for pavers. It will weaken the top of the footing. I’ll put some base stones to cover the bolts. Have to use anchors in the footings. The measurements in the instructions just aren’t accurate enough to put threaded rod in to the wet concrete

These go to eleven.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Below freeze depth ... and then some ( what I do at the least ). Can not go too deep, but can go too shallow.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well I screwed up my first footing. I read the concrete bag incorrectly and thought the water said quarts not pints. I put two bags in my wheelbarrow but I had twice as much water as I needed. I tried to add another bag and wanted to add two but it was just gonna be too much for the wheel barrow. My first footing is a bit too wet and won’t be as strong as it should. I also learned that 12 inch footing isn’t quite big enough for the brackets for my gazebo. The brackets are about 8 inches and I’m afraid the compression bolts will be too close to the edge.

For the next three footings I will use the tube down in the deep part but leave about a foot of the whole wide at the top and fill it with concrete so I have a good wide base. I can’t think of another option. I did use the 5000 PSI concrete so hopefully that helps.

ETA: Well not sure I did the right thing or not. Knowing my mix was weak from being too wet and the tube being too small diameter for the bolts, I pulled the tube out and filled the entire damn hole with concrete. It only took about another bag plus, mixed properly and added to what was in the hole. Hoping this works out okay.

I will have to make the top of the other footing wider at the top. Not sure if this is fine or it needs to be a perfect column. No stores have 15" tubes near me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.