SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone in or going through Ecuador any time soon?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone in or going through Ecuador any time soon? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I know it's a long, long shot, but SigForum has a way of making small miracles happen, so here's the question:

Is anyone currently in or planning on traveling through Ecuador (specifically Quito or Guayaquil) between now and Christmas?

Reason being, Mrs.BurtonRW and I just got back from the Galapagos last month and we bought some chocolate from Republica del Cacao in the airport in Guayaquil on the way back. It is truly exceptional and we like to give travel-related Christmas gifts to our friends and family.

Should have bought more, but they have a very robust marketing set up there and a website, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem to get whatever we wanted, right? WRONG!

I can't for the life of me find a way to purchase any of their products outside of their stores in Ecuador (both of the international airports - in Guayaquil and Quito, and two more retail locations in Quito). There's one distributor who sells their retail products, but only ships within Ecuador. Otherwise, if I were a chef, I could order their powdered cocoa in large 2.5kg bags, but nothing else.

So... if anyone is living there or has travel plans for the near future, please let me know. I'll give you a shopping list and make it well worth your time.

Thanks!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
There's one distributor who sells their retail products, but only ships within Ecuador.

You might see if you can find an international package forwarding service in Ecuador. (I don't now if that's a thing in Ecuador, but I know it exists in other countries.)

Basically a middleman shipping service for products whose retailers only ship domestically. You purchase a product and have it sent to the forwarding service under your name, and then pay the forwarder to then ship it internationally to you in your home country.

(Granted, you do run the risk of the chocolate melting in transit if being shipped from Ecuador to the US.)

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
"The Ecuadorian Chocolate – Authentic & Organic Chocolate" https://theecuadorianchocolate.com

Maybe not identical but sounds good

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Republica del Cacao

Their website says (in Spanish, translated by Google) that they partner in the US with a chocolate shop in Denver - might want to contact that shop and see if they can import what you're looking for (or maybe they already do?)

quote:
OUR CHOCOLATE ARRIVES ON NETFLIX IN THE CREATIVE HANDS OF CHEF GONZO JIMÉNEZ
República del Cacao is present in more than 20 countries around the world, where we promote a cuisine of origin, excellence and impact. It is a pride to be part of one of the best Netflix pastry shows with our chocolates of Latin American origin produced in Ecuador.

Gonzo Jiménez is our Chef Partner in the United States and co-owner of the Chocolatería “Miette et Chocolat”.

Link to Miette et Chocolat

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
So.is this a 1st or 3rd word problem? Smile

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post