SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long day today. Active shooter at UNC-Charlotte
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long day today. Active shooter at UNC-Charlotte Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Obviously I can’t say much about it, but UNCC is in the heart of the division I supervise.

I will say unequivocally that the campus police and CMPD did an outstanding job today. Very proud of my brothers. The officers that responded did an amazing job, and the command staff that lead the scene were fantastic in their handling of it.

Unfortunately there were two killed, and four wounded. Three of them seriously. The suspect is in custody, but more deaths would have been likely if the campus police had not been on the spot.

Some students took very brave actions as well. I hope their stories are told.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exemplary handling by law enforcement.

Thank you, Chongo, and all involved.

Suspect identified, family says he is a student

At least two people were killed and four others injured in a shooting at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte on Tuesday, officials said. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department identified the suspect as Trystan Andrew Terrell, 22. They said he's in custody with charges pending.

The suspect's grandfather Paul Rold of Arlington, Texas, said that Terrell and his father moved to Charlotte from the Dallas area about two years ago after his mother died. Rold said his grandson was attending UNC-Charlotte.

Police Chief Jeff Baker told reporters late Tuesday that campus police received a call about a suspect who was armed with a pistol who "had shot several students." After officers responded to the scene within minutes, the suspect was disarmed and taken into custody.

A total of six people were shot by the suspect. Of those six, two were killed while three remain in critical condition with the fourth suffering from non-life threatening injuries.

Posts: 20 | Registered: April 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Good to hear the situation was handled well by LE Chongo....has your department trained for active shooter prior to this? I know it’s a subject that a lot of departments are starting to take some proactive training for...and some not so much.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left Florida about 1330hrs yesterday and drove straight into work arriving about 2300hrs. (Thanks I-77 construction)

I had no idea what had transpired but within three minutes I was briefed.

I did not go to UNCC, my supervisor and other investigators did and I handled all the other calls that came in and went to those scenes.

A very sad and disturbing day.

Chongo: I have had to go to numerous scenes of all types in your precinct, and I wonder if we have met.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised honestly.

My daughter graduated from there in 2015. While she was there I did some looking into the UNC-Charlotte campus police and I was impressed with what I found.

I am glad they performed well. These types of attacks can never be completely thwarted - but I am happy to hear that they were well-prepared and acted accordingly.

My time in the Army taught me that swift decisive action - even though you may not be perfectly briefed / organized / situated / equipped etc - can many days be the deciding factor.

God bless all you LE out there working in dangerous situations !

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Good to hear the situation was handled well by LE Chongo....has your department trained for active shooter prior to this? I know it’s a subject that a lot of departments are starting to take some proactive training for...and some not so much.

Yes, for several years. Overall the department has good training. There are several units that have regular exceptional training. Many of those people were involved.

Our most recent active-shooter related training specifically involved working with special fire department teams to move them into "warm" (very warm) zones so they can initiate treatment of victims.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Glad they performed well. Wish I could buy the guys a beer.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Shooter appears to be a cross between a young white kid and a poodle. His dad said he wasn't "into" guns--I guess that was a good thing, or he might have had more victims.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Some students took very brave actions as well. I hope their stories are told.

The final victim was Riley Howell, a student who was shot and killed as he tackled the gunman, knocking him off his feet and allowing him to be disarmed and arrested.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/unc...y-howell-saved-lives

quote:
A gunman killed two people when he opened fire on Tuesday at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. One of those he allegedly murdered has been described by police as a "hero" because of what unfolded in his final moments.

Riley Howell, a 21-year-old from Waynesville, was most likely the last fatality in the school shooting, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney told reporters on Wednesday.

The alleged gunman, identified as Trystan Andrew Terrell, 22, encountered Howell in a building on campus, that police said Terrell chose for a reason, with a legally purchased handgun.

Putney said that Howell "did exactly what we train people to do."

"You're either gonna run, gonna hide and shield, or you're gonna take the fight to the assailant," the police chief said. "Having no place to run and hide, he did the last."

It would be an "understatement" to say Howell tackled the gunman, but it "would be appropriate," according to Putney. He said that if Howell didn't approach the gunman, he "might not have been disarmed."

"Unfortunately, he gave his life in the process. But his sacrifice saved lives," he said of Howell. "What he did was he took the assailant off his feet, and then the heroes that we have here were able to apprehend him from there."

Putney described Howell as "the first and foremost hero as far as [he's] concerned" regarding the shooting, which also killed 19-year-old Ellis Parlier.

Four students, identified as Drew Pescaro, 19; Sean Dehart, 20; Rami Alramadhan, 20; and Emily Houpt, 23, were injured in the attack.

Terrell was charged early Wednesday with two counts of murder, four counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, possession of a firearm on educational property and discharging a firearm.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Chong, that has to be a scenario that gives all you LEO's nightmares and something you never hope to see. Sounds like they all did their jobs well. Outstanding!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:

Yes, for several years. Overall the department has good training. There are several units that have regular exceptional training. Many of those people were involved.

Our most recent active-shooter related training specifically involved working with special fire department teams to move them into "warm" (very warm) zones so they can initiate treatment of victims.

great to see you guys are on the aggressive end of training and include your FD....if I can ask, would you mind an email? I know your a busy guy, I’m very involved in our FD and PD training when it comes to active shooter...I understand the need NOT to discuss details about your incident and promise you I’m not looking for any of those details...is there a good email in your contact? I understand if your too busy as well, no worries.

edit...I see there is no email.....I have one if you see fit, just include “sigforum” in subject line so I see it....

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Shooter appears to be a cross between a young white kid and a poodle. His dad said he wasn't "into" guns--I guess that was a good thing, or he might have had more victims.

flashguy

Shooter is apparently autistic, so some MH component....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post

Well done, young man. May God rest your soul.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

The final victim was Riley Howell, a student who was shot and killed as he tackled the gunman, knocking him off his feet and allowing him to be disarmed and arrested.
God bless this hero.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Another murder tonight close to the campus in a highly student-populated apartment complex. Not sure if involved any of the students though.

Thankfully I’m off, but my partner is having to deal with it, as well as most of the officers that were the primary/initial response yesterday. Those guys are having a rough week.

That’s 47 murders for the year I think.

-JALLEN

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

God bless this hero.

'Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.....'

They should name a prominent local landmark after this brave young American.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Courage.... Thy name is Riley Howard.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16069 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
What a loss of a fine young man. No sinse at all for this. I used to ride my Suzuki 500T up around UNCC. Girl friend worked for IBM and lived out on Prosperity Church. Man chongo, Charlotte is getting rough any more.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

May God bless the sole of Riley Howell and assuage the grief of his family for their loss.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good work young man, someone who understand it's better to go out on your feet while fighting, than cowering on your knees.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post