SIGforum
New car windshield cleaning

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8120044705

March 16, 2024, 06:06 PM
konata88
New car windshield cleaning
On my older car, I can turn on the electricals, start the wiper then turn off the car to stop the wipers midstroke. Then I can lift the wipers off and away from the windshield (can do this at the downstroke position as the hood edge blocks it).

On a new-ish car (not mine) with a keyless remote (not sure this matters), I couldn't figure out how to stop the wiper midstroke. I try to push the starter button to turn off the car midstroke but the wipers continue to complete the cycle.

Is there a trick to stopping the wipers midstroke on newer cars so that I can lift the wiper away from the windshield?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
March 16, 2024, 06:11 PM
Ronin101
cant you just flip them up with out messing with the location on the windshield?
March 16, 2024, 06:15 PM
konata88
No - the hood edge blocks the wiper from being lift up.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
March 16, 2024, 06:29 PM
Phred
Many newer cars maintain power for all things electrical, even if the engine is off, until the drivers door is opened. Try turning the engine off, and opening the drivers door when you want the wipers to stop.
March 16, 2024, 06:31 PM
petr
If it is an Audi, in the MMI there is a setting to service the wipers. Push the CAR button and cycle through to service checks.

Other cars should have it somewhere in their infotainment settings, also. It should be labeled as SERVICE or maintenance.
March 16, 2024, 07:05 PM
konata88
Thanks guys.

March 16, 2024, 07:15 PM
petr
Did you get it? How?
March 16, 2024, 07:18 PM
Some Shot
Open the hood?
March 16, 2024, 07:40 PM
konata88
Not yet. I'll check the manuals.

March 18, 2024, 02:46 AM
petr
Any luck?
March 18, 2024, 05:26 AM
Nismo
What car are we talking about here? I know cars like newer Toyota Camry wiper service mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AEnFW8JL58
March 18, 2024, 07:07 AM
bcereuss
Turn the car off then push the wiper control stalk up and hold.
March 18, 2024, 09:46 AM
preten2b
My 2021 Genesis has a slightly different secret handshake. The manual is your friend. With new electronics every make and model now has potential to be different.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
March 18, 2024, 10:20 AM
P250UA5
I'd think, assuming a newer keyless start car.
Keep the driver's door open.
Key 'on' [press start button without pressing the brake] or start engine, either should work.
Cycle the wipers & turn the car off when they reach the top of the swing.

In my Explorer, this will 'park' them in whatever position they're in when the system was turned off.

Having the door open should keep it from holding 'on' & letting them return to the default park position.

The Enemy's gate is down.