SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New car windshield cleaning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New car windshield cleaning Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
On my older car, I can turn on the electricals, start the wiper then turn off the car to stop the wipers midstroke. Then I can lift the wipers off and away from the windshield (can do this at the downstroke position as the hood edge blocks it).

On a new-ish car (not mine) with a keyless remote (not sure this matters), I couldn't figure out how to stop the wiper midstroke. I try to push the starter button to turn off the car midstroke but the wipers continue to complete the cycle.

Is there a trick to stopping the wipers midstroke on newer cars so that I can lift the wiper away from the windshield?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
cant you just flip them up with out messing with the location on the windshield?

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No - the hood edge blocks the wiper from being lift up.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Many newer cars maintain power for all things electrical, even if the engine is off, until the drivers door is opened. Try turning the engine off, and opening the drivers door when you want the wipers to stop.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is an Audi, in the MMI there is a setting to service the wipers. Push the CAR button and cycle through to service checks.

Other cars should have it somewhere in their infotainment settings, also. It should be labeled as SERVICE or maintenance.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

posted Hide Post
Did you get it? How?

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open the hood?

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not yet. I'll check the manuals.

posted Hide Post
Any luck?

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
What car are we talking about here? I know cars like newer Toyota Camry wiper service mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AEnFW8JL58

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Turn the car off then push the wiper control stalk up and hold.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
My 2021 Genesis has a slightly different secret handshake. The manual is your friend. With new electronics every make and model now has potential to be different.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'd think, assuming a newer keyless start car.
Keep the driver's door open.
Key 'on' [press start button without pressing the brake] or start engine, either should work.
Cycle the wipers & turn the car off when they reach the top of the swing.

In my Explorer, this will 'park' them in whatever position they're in when the system was turned off.

Having the door open should keep it from holding 'on' & letting them return to the default park position.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post