SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Polar Grit X (heart rate monitor) users?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Polar Grit X (heart rate monitor) users? Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
So, my Polar heart monitor that I was given in 2001 finally crapped out. I had replaced the chest strap a couple of years ago.

Hell, it was a pretty good run.

I replaced it with the Polar Grit X. Probably more than I need at my age and fitness level, but that is what I ended up with. My exercise includes 1+ hours of walking, or 1.5-2.5 hours of biking, outdoors, 4-5 times per week. Moving indoors very soon.

Holy hell, the technology is fantastic. It is paired with my phone right now.

Anyone using the Grit X? I have watched a few videos and plan to play with it, to get acclimated.

I also got the Polar H10 chest strap. Would you recommend using the strap with the watch?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Does your watch measure heart rate?

I know there can be differences at times with readings as sometimes the chest strap is more accurate not being affected by wind.

I sometimes have to stop and restart my Garmin watch to get an accurate heart rate after I tighten the strap to keep any cooler air out from between it and my wrist.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm still using a Polar HRM I acquired off eBay years ago. It was at or near the bottom of their line at the time. It's so old it still has the old chest strap that's entirely cloth, with snaps for the HRM at each end.

I say "using," but it's more like I still have one, because I found my Apple Watch's HRM is nearly as good--even during intense cardio exercise. The only time I found it not w/in 1 BPM of my Polar with the chest band was during the high-intensity portions of high-intensity interval training and, even then, only when I was pumping my arms. If I stilled my left arm for a few moments it would settle right down. If on an elliptical, upright stationary bike, or rower: It would track with the Polar faithfully.

I was kind of surprised, because, typically, wrist-based HRMs don't fare well during intense exercise.

quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
I know there can be differences at times with readings as sometimes the chest strap is more accurate not being affected by wind.

It's not wind that affects them. It's things shifting around. My Apple Watch gets inaccurate during HIIT on a treadmill, indoors, during high-intensity parts, if I'm pumping my arms. Plus the faster your HR, the more difficult in detecting the transitions, I would imagine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic,
That makes sense. Usually I have to dry the back of the watch and my wrist, put the watch back on and then tighten the strap when riding outside on the bike.

Riding inside on the trainer I never have an issue so I was thinking it was the wind creating the problem by cooling the back of the watch.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My wife just gave me one for Christmas.
I was a little confused at first on the buttons and setup.
Having now for a few hours I am getting more acclimated now and have synced to my phone and desktop and figured out the button-pushing order (sort of).
Not sure if if auto syncs or you have to do it manually.
Also need to figure out the timed event thing.
Overall it's not bad and my first fitness watch.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy hell, the technology is fantastic. It is paired with my phone right now.

Anyone using the Grit X? I have watched a few videos and plan to play with it, to get acclimated.

Update for mine after a few days.
Love it. Cool
It seems this is geared for runners which I am not but plenty of other functions to utilize.

LOVE the sleep analysis and I know others Fitbit, Apple, etc probably do the same.
It keeps me trying to be active which is good.

Outside it is very easy to read, not crazy about the backlight and pushing it all the time to read indoors.
Also it appears you have to manually sync it ~ an auto-sync like the wife's Fitbit would be nice.
Battery life is pretty good too.

It's the tracking and data that is exceptional IMO.

NOW if it would only give me yardage to the while playing Golf! Razz

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you like yours.

I have been using mine for a couple of weeks now.

It is a whole lot more technology than I probably need. With the new sensors, I do believe it is probably at least (if not more) as accurate as the old Polar strap/watch, from 2001 which it replaced.

As I mentioned, I mostly bike and walk.

Yeah, the sleep analysis is very informative.

I am a fan of the hourly, daily, weekly, monthly tracking.

This watch will keep me honest. Smile

I also received the H10 chest strap. I am anxious try this as well.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post