SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New bike day!!! This baby cost me three bikes but it was worth it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New bike day!!! This baby cost me three bikes but it was worth it. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Good bye shins it was nice knowing you. Big Grin

My pedals from the UK finally came in. This should provide a little more traction that the previous pedals I was using.

The is the grown up and much more capable version of the BMX bikes I used love riding years ago.

I know where I’m gonna be heading soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Bad-Ass!
I love me a good dirt jumper. Same here, I can't grow up and love getting airborne on anything with two wheels be it a bike park or motocross.
Right now I'm fixing up a Giant Talon for some hard tail downhill.
I was planning on picking up a Marin San Quentin before all the shortages made them impossible to buy.

This track is about 10 minutes from my house.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RyanP225,

Holy smokes! You are so lucky! And here I thought I was fortunate to live within biking distance to a HUGE mountain bike park full of trails. Those trails looks super smooth and are full of excellent jumps.

What is your go to bike for that park?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RyanP225, Marin has been having trouble keeping up with demand. Most models are sold out until 2023. I ordered the top tier Marin Nicasio from my LBS over a year ago. Still no bike. Frown I came VERY close to pulling the trigger on a Marin El Roy but decided on the Chromag instead. They are similar bikes, both sporting a super slack head angle and 4130 chromoly frame but the Chromag’s frame has oversized tubing and is basically built like a tank dirt jumping BMX bike/downhill bike/trail bike.

Look at the difference in thickness of the seat stays on the Marin and Chromag! Eek

Marin El Roy

Chromag Stylus

Online Jenson has been pretty good at stocking Marin bikes when all the local bike shops and most other online retailers are out of stock. I am 99.9% sure my next electric bike build will be a large frame Marin Pine Mountain 1. Marin changed the frame slightly from my 2016 Pine Mountain that I converted to electric but changes are pretty minimal. The Rock Shox fork and large chromoly frame on the new Pine Mountain should make for a great candidate to convert over to electric.

My LBS had this bike for all of a week before it sold. I’m kicking myself for not scooping it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

What is your go to bike for that park?

I just picked up a Marin Rift Zone that kills it on flowy downhills. So far it's my favorite and my first bike with 29's.
That Chromag looks like an absolute beast!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Good bye shins it was nice knowing you. Big Grin

My pedals from the UK finally came in. This should provide a little more traction that the previous pedals I was using.

The is the grown up and much more capable version of the BMX bikes I used love riding years ago.

I know where I’m gonna be heading soon.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rC0U04dn-CE" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Used to do a lot of single track riding. Every wreck I had was the result of using clip in pedals. I know yours aren't clip ins

You have a nice bike. Brings back memories of sloshing in the mud.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
On a side note, my battle buddy's brother founded Deity, so its nice to see some representation! Nice bike!

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
TexasScrub, That’s pretty cool! I have a few Deity components on my bike. I have some Deity grips that I love and a Deity headset end cap and spacers in bronze/gold that adds a bit of contrast to the bare brushed chromoly frame and purple bits on the bike.

I added a new seat that reminds me of my old BMX bike seats. It’s about the same size and even has the grippy material on the sides. It’s also slightly more comfy than the fabric seat it replaced but compared to my other bikes this seat is clearly not focusing primarily on comfort.

I’m planning on getting a Chromag handlebar with 40mm of rise in either gold or gunmetal gray (leaning towards the gunmetal) and then after cutting them down a little it’ll be pretty much done with this bike….unless I end up upgrading the wheels with a nice custom built wheel set sporting purple industry 9 hubs (built completely here in North Carolina and that is AWESOME) which is tempting because I could use the current wheels for a new build….and building bikes is FUN! Big Grin

I’m thinking I’ll probably be done modifying this bike after the bars. I have a 2022 Scott Spark 970 that will be paid off around late summer and it will be a bike that would probably benefit more from mods as it is Scott’s baseline Spark. I’ll likely just fix/ upgrade stuff on the Chromag as I break it since it’s the one bike in my garage that will be ridden the hardest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~