SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prohibition on 18-20 year old buying handguns ruled unconstitutional today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prohibition on 18-20 year old buying handguns ruled unconstitutional today Login/Join 
posted
PUBLISHED
UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE FOURTH CIRCUIT
No. 19-2250
TANNER HIRSCHFELD; NATALIA MARSHALL, Plaintiffs – Appellants,
v.
BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, FIREARMS, TOBACCO & EXPLOSIVES; MARVIN RICHARDSON, Acting Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; MERRICK B. GARLAND, Attorney General,
Defendants – Appellees. -------------------------------
BRADY; GIFFORDS LAW CENTER TO PREVENT GUN VIOLENCE; EVERYTOWN FOR GUN SAFETY SUPPORT FUND,
Amici Supporting Appellees.
Appeal from the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia, at Charlottesville. Glen E. Conrad, Senior District Judge. (3:18−cv−00103−GEC)
Argued: October 30, 2020 Decided: July 13, 2021 Before AGEE, WYNN, and RICHARDSON, Circuit Judges.
Vacated, reversed, and remanded by published opinion. Judge Richardson wrote the opinion, in which Judge Agee joined. Judge Wynn wrote a dissenting opinion

The entire decision is 141 pages, the Relevant verbiage is below:

But while Congress—or judges—may have struck a different balance long after ratification, that role is foreclosed to us by the balance that the Founders chose. We cannot now second-guess or undermine their choice. History makes clear that 18- to 20-year-olds were understood to fall under the Second Amendment’s protections. Those over 18 were universally required to be part of the militia near the ratification, proving that they were considered part of “the people” who enjoyed Second Amendment rights, and most other constitutional rights apply to this age group. And Congress may not restrict the rights of an entire group of law-abiding adults because a minuscule portion of that group commits a disproportionate amount of gun violence. Congress’s failure to connect handgun purchases from licensed dealers to youth gun violence only serves to highlight the law’s “unduly tenuous ‘fit’” with the government’s substantial interests. Craig, 429 U.S. at 202.

Eighteen- to twenty-year-olds have Second Amendment rights, and the challenged laws impermissibly burden those rights. As a result, we vacate the district court’s grant of the motion to dismiss, reverse the denial of summary judgment, and remand for further proceedings.
VACATED, REVERSED, AND REMANDED

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
18 y/o can join the military, pick up guns to defend the country, but not allowed to legally buy handguns for their legal uses? Yeah, that needs to be struck down.

Q

Posts: 26428 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That’s going to make the Marxists in my state quite sad.

Posts: 9975 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Congress may not restrict the rights of an entire group of law-abiding adults because a minuscule portion of that group commits a disproportionate amount of gun violence.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Same with buying alcohol .... my problem with me now being an old geezer is I think we should look at it the other way...

Can't vote or have the right to buy a gun or drink and join the military until you are 25 years old!
(yeah, that'll float well especially with the industrial military complex and the politicians that are in its pocket)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
18 y/o can join the military, pick up guns to defend the country, but not allowed to legally buy handguns for their legal uses? Yeah, that needs to be struck down.

The same with buying liquor. If you're allowed in the military, you should be able to drink.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Same with buying alcohol .... my problem with me now being an old geezer is I think we should look at it the other way...

I was lucky enough to live in Free America when 18yr old's could legally drink.
And oh yeah I bought my first firearm at 18 too.

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does this mean in real terms?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
And Congress may not restrict the rights of an entire group of law-abiding adults because a minuscule portion of that group commits a disproportionate amount of gun violence.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Indeed. Wouldn't that same logic apply to those over 20 as well? I.e., ALL the rest of us over 18?

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
What does this mean in real terms?

More judges. En banc in the 4th COA then on to the Supremes. Injunctions during to keep the status quo. The other side won't and can't accept a loss here.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This only applies to the 4th circuit, correct ? Not the entire US?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ At present (assuming the DOJ doesn't get a stay while they appeal). But I can't see Garland and Biden letting this lie.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
This will be fun to watch. I kind of remember the 1960's when we could be drafted but couldn't buy a handgun or drink hard booze. Somehow we did anyway. Either you have rights or you don't. The idiot legislators shouldn't get to pick and choose which. Maybe it is time to shake things up a little and decide you have rights and obligations or you don't.g

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I just had to look up which states are in the 4th district…Glad to see VA is in there. Our illustrious governor (Mr. Blackface) is probably going to have a cow…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6330 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Good. It and the Alcohol laws are unforgivable and inexcusable hypocrisies and utter travesties of law.

Hopefully this is the beginning of large and lasting change in these two regards.

It's been vile and unacceptable since day one.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^We're you ever 18? Drinking Alcohol is not an Enumerated Right defined in the US Constitution... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8925 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^We're you ever 18? Drinking Alcohol is not an Enumerated Right defined in the US Constitution...

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that it needs to be (enumerated)...

It does not.

Care to try again?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Drinking Alcohol is not an Enumerated Right defined in the US Constitution... Roll Eyes

21st amendment. It's pretty clear.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
18 YO's, by definition, do a lot of stupid things....A certain percentage are lucky enough to survive! Legal access to Alcohol need not be a contributing factor.

I was 18 and I remember it well. If you have children, you know damn well that it's best that the drinking age is 21 in this country!

Of course 'some' NEVER grow up/mature, and the evidence is EVERYWHERE!

That said, maybe we should drift the thread back towards the original discussion regarding the purchase of handguns by 18-20 YO's....Which IS a right enumerated by the US Constitution!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8925 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm torn on this. Teens and young adults commit the most crimes, but how can they have every right in the constitution but one. In the end I'd err on the side of rights over fear, especially considering criminals aren't doing NICS checks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20832 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post