SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MIA Shell Rotella T6...Easier to Find a Unicorn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MIA Shell Rotella T6...Easier to Find a Unicorn Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
If you are driving a diesel and use Shell Rotella T6 all I can say is Good Luck finding it and when you do, you’ll pay a Kings ransom for it. I’ve searched every big box and auto parts store in the county including the Love’s Travel Plaza and Zip Nada Zilch!

Quick search online reveals that this has been going on for at least the past week or two.

What happened? Plant burn down? Workers quit due to COVID BS? Is it BRANDON’S fault?

What’s the situation in your neck of the woods?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here is some info, you’ll have to read through 4 pages. Hope this helps.

Link

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Ship to store?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/de...1?q=Rotella+t6&pos=0

I paid $30 for Mobil 1 5 qt jug that used to go for 25 or less.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’s 5w30 T6 which doesn’t meet the Ford spec for the 6.7 PS. The link OKCGene posted is to a current thread about the lack of T6 5w-40. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 met the Ford spec before T6 did by about 2 years. It’s reported to be as good if not better than T6.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will sometimes be available online at Sam’s Club. Just check often as it will sell out fast!
5W-40 - 3 gallons for about 59$

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post

I see some around from time to time. I'll let you know if I see any (and where) as I'm running around.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mobil delvac is better oil than the Rotella. Buy that instead. Saw plenty of it at Costco the other day.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Another comparison to read. It never mentions the recent Ford requirements

https://comparemotoroils.com/m...a-t6-vs-mobil-1-tdt/

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That article was written before the Ford spec existed as evidenced by the T6 in the article being listed as CJ and not CK. The Ford spec came about after CK spec oils became the standard.

Also, that article was written by a bottle reader and contains no substantive content. In other words, the author read the manufactures’ marketing materials, then wrote an article. I found this particular quote “Shell Rotella synthetic diesel oil can last up to 500,000 miles or 10 years if used properly.” interesting when the author was talking about the oil change intervals each oil offered.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Get your T6 5w40 right here $20 a gallon: Tractor Supply Company

And in case you were looking for a unicorn: Tractor Supply Company

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Wentzville Walmart had about 10-15 gallons

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
trapper189 is correct! I bought the only 3 gallon jugs I could find within 25 miles of home. Hens teeth! And on sale too. Crazy.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
That article was written before the Ford spec existed as evidenced by the T6 in the article being listed as CJ and not CK. The Ford spec came about after CK spec oils became the standard.

Also, that article was written by a bottle reader and contains no substantive content. In other words, the author read the manufactures’ marketing materials, then wrote an article. I found this particular quote “Shell Rotella synthetic diesel oil can last up to 500,000 miles or 10 years if used properly.” interesting when the author was talking about the oil change intervals each oil offered.

Agreed. I would like to thank you for helping me learn and understand so much more about oil than I ever dreamed possible. The technology behind today's oils is amazing. Thanks to everyone else who contributed to that in this thread as well.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/7060064684/p/1

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
Walmart on line, 3 gals for $257.42. Nuts!

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
For those of you looking for T6 but are unable to find it at a reasonable price for their 6.7L Power Strokes you can get the Valvoline equivalent that is Ford approved for about $88 for 3 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X...dt_b_product_details

I’ve used this before with great results.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it in my 5.9L diesel and in my bike with a wet clutch as it carries the JASO MA and MA2 ratings.

Shortages are definitely frustrating as are the pricing most places when it's available.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you have a Costco near you, they sell Kirkland Diesel oil 3 gallons for $36, you can order it for delivery as well... Sure Sams Club has similar,

Link

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I did a search and found it in a lot of places near me. If you don't live close to a location you can have it shipped.
Since any vehicle you need it for now costs well over $50 grand, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If you have a Costco near you, they sell Kirkland Diesel oil 3 gallons for $36, you can order it for delivery as well... Sure Sams Club has similar,

Link

That's not a bad deal, but it's regular 15w40 oil which is easy to find. T6 is synthetic and the 5w40 in particular is in short supply. I notice a difference starting off in our 50 degree weather between the 15w40 I just put in and the 5w40 I was using. I sure the guys up north with actual cold mornings want 5w40.

I used the Valvoline smlsig mentioned for the first three or four oil changes when my truck was new until T6 met the Ford spec. Then I used whichever of the two I could get the best price on.