SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Out of nowhere my son in law decides to buy a banjo..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out of nowhere my son in law decides to buy a banjo.. Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Came totally out of left field. He has never shown a interest in playing any musical instrument. Just one day dropped $800 on a banjo.
My daughter is dumbfounded by this. She has no problem with it she just like the rest of us don't know where that came from!

So I said well, ya don't say! I just ordered a Hohner Marine Band Crossover harmonica off Amazon a few minutes ago. Cool

Truth is about 15 years ago I played around on the harmonica and got good enough to play a few songs. you Tube wasn't much back then but now there is all kinds of instructional video's online. Besides now I'm retired and will have several hours alone at home in the morning to practice while the wife is working.

I'm not telling a soul until I get to where I can do some blues riffs well enough that I'm not going to make anyone's ears bleed!

Fun times ahead!! Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hey tell her its better than what Kris Jenner had to deal with when her husbands mid life crisis happened....

I've always wanted to learn to play the banjo, it's a cool instrument, and you can't be sad or gloomy when you hear a banjo, it's a happy instrument...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Could be worse. He could have bought an accordion.

Now he can look forward to Jazz Sea cruises with Tim Allan and Banjos Aweigh! It is astonishing how many banjoists there are on those!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Sounds totally familiar.

I bought a Deering open back Banjo out of nowhere at the rip old age of 30. I was away from home for work for a year and needed something new to do besides drink beer. I love playing it, and am getting good at the old gospel standards.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not an accordion, but Patty Gurdy makes the Hurdy Gurdy sound pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec729nmajwc

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Next stop, the farm store for Dud's Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Que the banjo jokes:

What is the difference between a banjo and a chainsaw?

A chainsaw has dynamic range.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between a banjo and an accordion?

An accordion is heavier and thus harder to throw in the dumpster.

Did he recently buy a canoe? Maybe he was trying to save money on a paddle?

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure about accordion but in my book, a beginner on a violin is one of the worst situations. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
have him check out Banjo Ben on Ytube.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or bagpipes! LOL Big Grin

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Maybe he's trying to get you to paddle faster

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
My son did that a few years ago.

When he was little, he got a book with a couple of beanbags at a Cracker Barrel and taught himself how to juggle. Later as a teen he picked up a guitar and taught himself how to play the guitar (via YouTube). Fast forward to a couple years ago, he's married with 2 kids now, he decided to pick up a banjo and has taught himself how to play it. He's always been curious about stuff and he always wants to learn it for himself, which had it's own challenges when he was teen! (Always having to learn the hard way)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
How about some banjo jokes?

Banjos are good ...

... kindling for a bagpipe fire.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amJ_WLmOKS0

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2430 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amJ_WLmOKS0
What is the definition of a Scottish gentlemen?

A man who knows how to play the bagpipes but chooses not to.

That joke was told from the pulpit by a Scottish pastor.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I sent him this. Sorry.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post