SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cleaning other stuff with my brass tumbler
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning other stuff with my brass tumbler Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I have some old metal parts with corrosion. They are off of an old 53 year old Fender amp (corners and chassis straps and such). Some of it is pitted so I don't hold much hope for that. It seemed the rusty screws come out very nicely, it even gets the rust out of the Philip heads.

How long should I leave something in there? Can I get grittier media to really grind the rust away?

Posts: 45376 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Some tumblers aren't made for course media. May grind a hole in the drum.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People on the Knife Forums were "Stone Washing" parts in a water bottle with small river rocks put in the center of a rolled up sleeping bag cycled in a dryer.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Evaporust would be perfect for that.

It will remove the rust without taking good iron. (by chelation)

It may leave chromed parts with splotchy areas. If so, you could tumble those in the media used for brass for about the same time and it would be less time in the tumbler.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43898 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Evaporust would be perfect for that.

It will remove the rust without taking good iron. (by chelation)

It may leave chromed parts with splotchy areas. If so, you could tumble those in the media used for brass for about the same time and it would be less time in the tumbler.

Yep, had good luck with Evaporust from car bits to tools. Also removed bluing. Great to remove your corrosion, you could then tumble for surface effect, like the river rock suggestion. If it comes out like I think... maybe matte clear coat after.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2364 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Yep, had good luck with Evaporust from car bits to tools. Also removed bluing.

Naturally, since bluing is merely a form of "controlled rusting" (oxidizing).

Posts: 32518 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have had Evaporust in my wishlist for about a year now but haven't picked it up yet. The time is come.

Thanks for the tips.

Posts: 45376 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I add NuFinish car polish onto my tumbler to coat the parts and prevent rust. Works fine. I use half a capful.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I clean all kinds of stuff in my tumbler. The last batch were some quartz based rocks my granddaughter found in the woods. They came out looking good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I bought a tumbler off amazon to clean up fasteners I found at a flea market.

It cleaned about 95 percent of them, at least half with surface rust and worse.

I bought reptile tank bedding (crushed walnut) 5 pounds for 12 dollars.

I ran the worst of the bolts and nuts for 10 hours sometimes more. I also put a teaspoon or two of Flintz polish in there.

It worked excellently.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickelsig229,

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post