SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida move (Previously "I'm now unemployed" thread)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida move (Previously "I'm now unemployed" thread) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In my county it’s the tax office. I have been 5 times in a year and haven’t spent more than an hour and half in aggregate in there. 1st day here went and got new FL DL’s. No line, wife and I In and out in 10-15 mins with FLDL in hand. We already had utility bills in our name so just brought passports. Went home, bought FL car insurance online with USAA. Made online appointment for next AM. Went in with CA pink slips and walked out in 10 minutes with FL plates and vehicle registration. FL pink-slips arrived in 2 weeks Made an appointment for CCW a few days later went in again no one in line. They took me in a private room took copies on my CA Hunter safety cert and live scan printed me and took a pic. 3 weeks to the day my CCW arrived. Went in about another month later to transfer title on a utility trailer my wife’s dad gave us. He had no plates nor title from TN. No prob. Paid some Reg fees and walked out with plates. Went in last week with my son, he just turned 14 and wants to get a job. Took his SSN card and birth cert and my passport and FLDL and he got an ID card walked out in less than 15 mins. Maybe I’m just lucky in my county.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Make an appointment at a Florida Department of Agriculture office (that's the department that issues carry permits).

You'll need the standard proof of citizenship and Florida residence, documentation of completing a firearms safety course (NRA, DD-214, Hunter Safety, etc.), and your checkbook.

They will do the photo, digital fingerprints, and application right there. With an appointment you should be in and out within 45 minutes or so, and your carry permit will arrive in the mail. The statute allows them 90 days, but my wife and I received ours in 11 days.

Also, for Florida Driver License, bring passport and proof of residence. Passport will prove US citizenship, so you'll get the gold star Real ID thingy on the license. If you're a vet, bring proof like DD-214 and you'll get the Veteran indicator on the license.

Give me a shout when you arrive. You won't be that far from the gun club where I shoot. It's members only, I will be glad to host you for a shooting session there so you can see if you'd like to join.

Half dozen pistol bays, two shotgun areas (archery at those, some days), three rifle ranges. Nice shade at the pistol and rifle areas. Spouse and kids get a free ride on your membership, they don't pay to shoot.

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm flying into town today to do the initial walk-through on the new house and flying back out late tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5409 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
V-Tail and I are having lunch at the Crooked Can in Winter Garden tomorrow at 11:30 if you are looking for something to do and kill some time before your flight.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
You'll never regret leaving Oregon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Don't think I'll be able to make it in time. My new home inspection is from 11am to noon in Auburndale. Looks like the crooked can is an hour from there.

I'll definitely have time once we move. You're both invited to our housewarming party.

Tony.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I’m so jealous!!

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Godspeed, all the best for this next chapter!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and best of luck with this new chapter of your lives!

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Tony!

Retirement is fantastic. Definitely some adjustments are involved, but well worth it.

Posts: 9460 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Arrived in Florida last night. Spending another night in Destin tonight and will head to Auburndale and move into the new house tomorrow afternoon.

Tony.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, Tony!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Tony! So happy for you and your family

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, you’re gonna love your new stste!

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Florida. Just don't go through those gates on the side of the road, the ones that look like Jurassic Park. Big Grin

Posts: 5742 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Benny! I’m escaping only a few weeks behind you!

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Florida.
If you have any questions about the area just shoot me am email I am only about a half hour from you.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your stay here in the Emerald Coast. Destin is a zoo this time of year. I live in Shalimar, across the bay from Destin. E mail me or hit me up here if you want restaurant advice. ( one piece of advice for all restaurants here, go EARLY, like 4:30)

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on completing the move! Enjoy your new location.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Took the long way and stopped in Twin falls..

Canyonlands...

Arches...

Zion...

Grand Canyon...

Guard dog...

Tony.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Nice! Make a trip of it.