SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy Constitution Day & Citizenship Day- Take a Quiz on the Constitution
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Constitution Day & Citizenship Day- Take a Quiz on the Constitution Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
September 17th is Constitution Day – How Well Do You Know America’s Founding Document?

September 17th is Constitution Day – How Well Do You Know America’s Founding Document?

September 13, 2019

by Jared Besse • 4 min read

September 17th is a special day in America.

Known as Constitution Day, or Citizenship Day, it’s when we commemorate the signing of the U.S. Constitution on September 17, 1787.

The U.S. Constitution is the world’s longest surviving written charter of government. Although more than two centuries have passed since its ratification, the Constitution continues to serve as both a guide and a protector of U.S. citizens, our elected officials and our representative form of government.

Today, the Constitution remains a vital document that protects the God-given rights and freedoms of all Americans – including our freedom to live out our faith, the first freedom in our First Amendment. It is only fitting that we celebrate this iconic and foundational document every year.

A Brief History
Constitution Day first began in 1940, but it was originally celebrated in May and not in September. At that time, it was called, “I Am An American Day,” and was primarily a way to celebrate people who had recently become citizens of our republic, as well as to honor all American citizens.

In the 1950s, Congress passed a law moving the date of the day to the anniversary of the Constitution’s signing: September 17th. It was then named Citizenship Day, designated as a day for the citizens of America to reflect on the responsibilities and the privileges of being a member of our great nation. Cities and states were encouraged to celebrate their communities and the places in which they resided.

Eventually, in 2004, Senator Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia introduced legislation to designate September 17th of each year as Constitution Day, with provisions requiring public schools and governmental offices to promote a better understanding of our nation’s founding document.

Why It’s Important
Constitution Day serves several purposes. It celebrates the birth of our country’s most important document and recognizes the incredible effort of our Founders and of a people who overcame adversity to create a unique form of government.

It also recognizes the important cultural and political legacy of a government unlike anything the world had ever seen, and shows the true value that came from the American experiment. Not only have citizens in our country benefited from the values and the principles espoused in the Constitution, but many countries around the world have also used the American Constitution as a building block to protect the rights and liberties of their citizens.

And as much as it is a day of celebration, Constitution Day also provides an opportunity to learn more about document itself, its history and the process that brought it to reality. Schools and organizations across the country take the time to read the Constitution, as well as to pass out pocket versions and some communities hold special events to learn more about the document.

So, as you celebrate the liberties you enjoy as an American, take a brief moment to test your knowledge about the document that gives you those freedoms, especially the freedom to freely express and live out your faith.

I missed one question due to a distiction in how the quiz designer counts clauses verses how I would have, but I scored as a Founding Father. Smile

How did you do?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Constitutionalist. But my excuse is that I am more familiar with the document than its history. Smile

And by coincidence I was citing the Constitution just today in a letter I wrote to our county commissioners concerning a proposal that they declare us to be a Second Amendment “sanctuary” in response to Colorado’s “red flag” law (HB 19-1177). Somewhat to my surprise, by the end of the public hearing this evening all three expressed support for the idea, as did the sheriff.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
5 out of 8.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Missed two. Did not now Madison was the main author. And one on the amendments.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Constitutionalist. But my excuse is that I am more familiar with the document than its history. Smile

And by coincidence I was citing the Constitution just today in a letter I wrote to our county commissioners concerning a proposal that they declare us to be a Second Amendment “sanctuary” in response to Colorado’s “red flag” law (HB 19-1177). Somewhat to my surprise, by the end of the public hearing this evening all three expressed support for the idea, as did the sheriff.

sigfreund, I'll take a Bona fide Constitutionalist who acts in support of the Constitution and the Second Amendment over someone who only knows the pertinent dates and history of the document any day of the week. Smile

Thanks for taking the time to write the letter and attend the County Commissioner meeting...and job well done becoming a Sanctuary county!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
8/8. Smile

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
8/8. Smile

Way to go Dr. Q, if anyone was going shoot a perfect score it was you. Cool

I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
5/8
I picked Jefferson as the author...(sorry about that J.M.)

Also did not get some of the the dates correct.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7/8. I missed the date, I was thinking Bill of Rights (1791) instead of Constitution itself. D'oh.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
8/8

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That was too easy: 7/8

Bungled the ratification date of the Constitution, conflating it with that of the BoR.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
7/8

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6/8

Posts: 84 | Location: Donnelsville,OH | Registered: June 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Looks like everyone posting their results is getting more than half the questions correct. Not that I expected any differently from forum members, but nicely done! This likely puts you ahead of younger demographics when it comes to knowing basic U.S. history and government.

A little more info from the website provided after the quiz is completed:

According to a report from the Freedom Forum Institute (FFI)*, 40% of people cannot correctly identify even one of the five provisions of the First Amendment.

However, the same report shows that 56% of Americans could identify at least one of the First Amendment rights, and the most popularly identified was the freedom of speech.

That’s an interesting figure, considering that freedom of speech is not the first freedom that appears in the First Amendment. In fact, a poll conducted by the University of Pennsylvania* report shows that only 15% of Americans identified religious freedom as a First Amendment provision.

For those of you who are First Liberty Insiders, you’re probably ahead of the curve when it comes to the Constitution and the First Amendment, as you can likely name the first and most important provision: the one that protects your religious liberty.

We hope that you continue to learn more about the Constitution and the First Amendment – and as always, we urge you to join First Liberty in the fight to defend our most foundational freedom: religious liberty.

* Data courtesy of:

Freedom Forum Institute
The University of Pennsylvania

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
7/8

Missed one on a clause

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post