SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “Inadvertent” email was sent to PenFed credit union members.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Inadvertent” email was sent to PenFed credit union members. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
FYI.
This morning early I received an email supposedly from PenFed member service with the subject line “Welcome to members v2.” The formatting and sender information seemed odd to me so I queried PenFed directly and just received this reply:

“This morning you received an inadvertent email communication from PenFed Member Service with the subject line ‘Welcome to members v2’.

“The email was sent in error. No action is needed from you, and we apologize for the inconvenience.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I got that too but decided not to click on any links and just discarded it. Thanks for reaching out to them and letting us know.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6328 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, no clickee on suspicious links.

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Got it as well

Didn’t open it, just deleted it

Have been a member of PenFed for more than 20 years, we are long past the welcome stage

Big Grin

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post.. Received the same email but didn't click the link..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yep, I got one too and just deleted it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've been getting emails from Echo Power equipment thanking me for the purchase of a new machine. They sent an apology email for the first one and then sent another thank you for purchasing a new machine email. I'm thinking someone found a vulnerability in a certain email server.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
those pesky Russians pinging the US financial matrix...

Eek

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received the same email. Thankfully, I deleted it as I was concerned about its origins. Be wary out there.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received the V2 message also but it looked odd and I never click on links in emails even if the email is legit.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Ditto for emphasis: I never click on links in an email! Even the ones that look really authentic and probably are -- because they might not be!

Thanks for sharing the original post.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So nobody read it? What was it about?

Posts: 3387 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
So nobody read it? What was it about?

We’ve been trying to reach you concerning your vehicle’s extended warranty.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I did not open the links, but my first thought was that the “v2” had something to do with the change in log in ID procedures that PenFed has been talking about for some time. But as I say, I didn’t open the links to check.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

posted Hide Post
I got the same e mail and also deleted it.

The members here are obviously very attuned to proper data security, which I think is rare in the general population.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post