SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today was his last.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today was his last. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Wednesday my good friend had a cardiac event that caused him to loose blood flow for 20-30 minutes. They cooled his body down in hopes to be able to bring him back. They warmed him up a couple days later.
Sadly the EEG showed very little brain activity. It was decided he would donate his organs. Today was his last day. He leaves behind a wife and young son.
I met my friend freshman year of college and for 2 years Nearly everyday we ate dinner and spent most of the evening free time together with a core group of friends.
We all lived right together in the dorm and our doors were rarely ever closed.
I transferred schools Junior year but still kept in contact and after college actually ended up moving to his home town and we hung out on occasion. He moved to Georgia and we kept in touch but had not seen him in a number of years.
While we are not young we are far from old and 37 is far too young to go. My heart breaks for his family, my heart breaks for loosing my friend.
Of course with this Covid crap a bunch of us fellas from college will be having a memorial on Zoom. We’re all husbands and fathers and have spread out slightly but with the loss of a great friend have vowed not to let so much time pass between visits.

Weird how things work. I woke up at 5am just feeling like crap and have not been able to shake it today.
I got the word at 4:21 this afternoon when his last organ was taken and Andy was no longer with us!
I still feel like crap and am fighting back my tears as I hold my boys because it has really hit home that this second could be our last.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry. Frown

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, take some comfort that part of him lives on.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for all.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss black. 37 is way too young.

Posts: 3728 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss, it really sucks, especially around the Holidays. RIP Andy.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. 37 is far too young.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
So very sorry...

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sorry that you are going through this.

Remember that every day is a gift from God and it is up to us to make the most of every one of them.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies from grad school had a cardiac event shortly after he got his first college professor slot.

It was devastating.

He sounds like a great guy and you were blessed to have him as a friend. Thank you for sharing. My sincerest condolences for you, your friends and his family.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
One of my buddies from grad school had a cardiac event shortly after he got his first college professor slot.

It was devastating.

He sounds like a great guy and you were blessed to have him as a friend. Thank you for sharing. My sincerest condolences for you, your friends and his family.

He too was a college professor.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. Good friends lost just feel like a gut shot. The older you get, it just feels like there are so many holes in your life. Just keep the good times you had front and center, and focus on the fun you had with him. Life goes on, and it will suck that he is not there, but the memories will cause you to smile.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Mannn, that’s awful. So sorry to hear that.

I just turned 37 .. far too young. Especially for a cardiac event. Horrible.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear that about your friend, nice to hear that he was an organ donor. Good Lord this year has been full of suck.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Frown
Prayers for Andy's family.
Prayers for those who receive the gift of life from Andy's donations of organs. That the impact of Andy's life continues to other families, even after he's gone.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your friend and your loss, Black Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black- I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Very sorry. I grieve along with you.
Prayers sent out for Andy and his family left behind.
-Sid

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your loss. I must admit the room got dusty as I read your post. Life is fleeting, seize every moment.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 719 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, too sudden and heart goes out to his family. 2020 has brought us some unexpected losses too that hammer home - life is short and fleeting.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post