SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a good way too keep birds from building a nest in my rain gutters?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a good way too keep birds from building a nest in my rain gutters? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
A couple of birds keep trying to build a nest in my gutters. No eggs so far but they can’t stay there. Not only are they blocking up the gutters, if they do ever hatch anything they will all drown in the water that collects there because they’ve dammed up the gutter.

Suggestions? I’ve put up a bird house but it may be too low to the ground for their liking.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about some type of gutter guard that keeps leaves and such out?

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some cats and a climbing pole near the birds.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The owl dummy on the chimney seems to work at least some of the time.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You need GutterCat™.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Approve !!

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The short answer is no. I have the same problem and have not been able to solve it. 2nd story gutter corner. a pita.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
The owl dummy on the chimney seems to work at least some of the time.

I would try this. Had a tree years ago that at a certain time of the year had something birds liked. The problem was people had to park under that tree. Cars in one spot would be covered if bird crap. Put out a plastic owl and it stopped 90% of the problem.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I’m allergic to cats so I’ll go with the plastic owl. Big Grin

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried putting the gutters in the garage ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Smash their eggs and set fire to the nest.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I put wire mesh over the downspouts in the gutters. After Spring & early summer I back it off a bit.

It’s mostly starlings here, English sparrows do the same.

Posts: 6180 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Calm down, Satan.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Owl decoy. Most stores that sell boats and boat gear sell them to keep the birds off your boat.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Calm down, Satan.

Punchline to an old joke from my youth.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the dollar store or Walmart and get some plastic toy snakes. Put near or in gutters. (maybe a dab of adhesive so it won't float off during heavy rains.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Owl decoy. Most stores that sell boats and boat gear sell them to keep the birds off your boat.

I've seen pigeons sitting atop those owl decoys covered in pigeon shit.

I had pigeon problems but not in the gutters. I paid a company to stick those long needles that keep them from roosting.

I know an effective method but expensive is they sell these gizmos that emit the sounds of a predator bird.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I was going to suggest showing the birds his neighbor's gutters. Big Grin Maybe a combo of the two would solve the problem?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post