SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's Your Longest Fast?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your Longest Fast? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
About 25-26 hours, every year for Yom Kippur. Its interesting, its like my body knows its coming and gripes only a bit.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I ever stop lifting/strength conditioning I might try fasting. Until then, no protein/carbs = no muscle recovery/growth.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Four days back in September, of course it was due to having a fever and flopping around like a fish..had the Rona and didn’t eat while I had the fever.

I have fasted for two days or so, it wasn’t because I was doing it intentionally…I just got up one day and wasn’t hungry, drank plenty of water, same thing into the next day, then I had dinner…never felt hungry or anything.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm at about the para level. However I did have a guy who worked for me who embarked on a 40-day fast for religious reasons.

He made it to about day 30, looked like death, when he passed out in a client meeting. Luckily, we worked for doctors, unfortunately most are radiologists so they barely qualify to revive someone.... Razz

When asked, he told me he thought he was called to do this and ignored, it. He later got a followup calling that he described as "almost audible" to fast for 40 days. My response was to ask if it was "almost" audible, maybe he misunderstood and the call was really for "four days" not forty days.... He wasn't terribly amused.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'm at about the para level. However I did have a guy who worked for me who embarked on a 40-day fast for religious reasons.

He made it to about day 30, looked like death...

40 days is a long fast. Worse still, I'd miss thanksgiving.

I am confident that my wife would put a stop to this long before I reach cadaver stage.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 6.5 hours. Overnight while I was asleep.

At my age, there are two things you do when ever there is an opportunity.

Pee

and

Eat.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This may not count but many moons ago I was hit by a car while riding my bike. While in the hospital I didn’t eat for two days plus. I did have an IV so there is that.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I do OMAD a majority of the time so 24 hours most days. It is hard at first but great for your body. I keep thinking about doing 48 for more autophogy.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I tried that lemon juice/maple syrup/water/cayenne concoction fast back in 2009 or so and lasted 10 days I think. Only drank that shit like twice a day.

The caffeine withdrawal headaches for the first couple days were worse than the hunger pangs which eventually went away, but stopping drinking coffee during that period just sucked.

I finally gave in and had a big cup of coffee and a large bowl of cheerios which was delicious and may as well have been a big juicy t-bone steak.

I will never do any of that BS again.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
i was all excited to share details about my long farts.

then I realized I read the OP wrong.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I performed a 2 week fast of just liquids mainly water, some juice, soups. I lost about 15 pounds. My first solid meal I ate went through me within 2 hours. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
36 hours, but not an actual fasting, but close enough in my book. I had Jello and clear chicken broth. Preparation for my recent colonoscopy. I thought I was gonna go crazy. Big Grin

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I was fed intravenously for nine months early in my life, since then it has been pretty much eat every day, although much of what I ate while I was in college would probably not be regarded as nourishment.

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A couple of days.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I did a 5-day fast a couple of years ago. Nothing but water for 5 days. Before I started, I thought it would be hell, but it was surprisingly easy.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I did a 5-day fast a couple of years ago. Nothing but water for 5 days. Before I started, I thought it would be hell, but it was surprisingly easy.

Give up water. That's a fast. No water hurts like crazy!

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
If I have to fast, I will ... if I don't have to so I won't.

Actually, the only fasting I have done was before a colonoscopy ... but this is crossing the line of TMI.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Voluntarily, 18 hours.
involuntarily, 36 hours but I had a stomach bug and was hurling every 30 minutes so eating wasn't very appealing.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatinajeep:
i was all excited to share details about my long farts.

then I realized I read the OP wrong.

You’re not alone. The high protein diet with shakes has produced impressive and memorable results.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Well, I almost made through 7 days. Not anywhere close to my 30 day target.

I wasn't hungry much. I didnt feel week, faint or dizzy. My blood sugars remained in a reasonable range of 55-75. No head aches, confusion, personality changes, etc. at all. And my dogs still loved me.

But this afternoon, I started getting cold. Turning up the heat, wearing flannels, sweatshirt, and hiding under wool blankets and down comforter were all of limited benefit.

So I gave it up. I caved in. I ate.

Three soft scrambled eggs with bacon bits, feta cheese, turmeric, a dollup of sour cream, and fresh gound black pepper, followed by a half an avocado, a handfull pepperoni and a few pork rinds.

It was not exactly the slow start that is recommended, but I'm not cold anymore. So there's that.

Maybe, I'll just keep it to 5 day fasts and limit eating to the weekends.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post