SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's Your Longest Fast?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your Longest Fast? Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
My longest fast a few years ago was about 21 days (IIRC).

I'm now on day two, and hoping to break my previous record.

My only intake is water, green tea, vitamins, and electrolytes.

So what's your longest fast? How did it go?

Any tips for avoiding or mitigating refeeding issues?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
18 minutes

No, wait, I had chewing gum around minute 6.

12 minutes

Of course, it took about 3 minutes for the gum to lose its flavor.

9 minutes

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my early 20’s I once slept for 12 hours. That was probably my record.

What benefits are there to not eating for 20 days?

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The only time I've fasted was before a blood workup, 6-8 hr. max.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have no simple answer. I've done a week like it was nothing. Other times one day is too much. My body seems to react different each time. The one thing that stops me most often, stops me before I get started on day one, is joint pain. My knees and elbows just scream. I eat and it goes away. Don't know what the correlation is, but it's there.

When I fast I set a goal and stick to it. I don't want to get tempted to "see how long I can go". That would be a very bad thing for me, my personality.

Water/seltzer and a little salt now and then if I start tot get headaches, that's it.

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a 30 day fast in my late 20s. The first four days were a bit hard feeling hungry on and off, then after that everything was normal and I didn't think of food.

Keeping up on vitamins and electrolytes makes sense. When ending the fast, I started with broths, added some vegetables, then went back to usual. No issues.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
15 hours max and only because I was sick and didn't feel like eating.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
24 hours, anything more than that is just starvation and I am not in to those types of things.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
A weekend when I was supposed to get paid on Friday. That isn't a joke, it really happened that I was out of groceries (and smokes) Friday and was counting on that check. Oh what fun sitting on the couch and trying to be entertained by three channels and water.

I was nineteen at the time IIRC, and haven't taken a meal for granted since.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's your longest fast? How did it go?

I was heavily involved in graduate nutrition & digestive physiology classes. I prepped for a year with short 2-3-4 days, then worked to up the length by adding a variety of the old school naturopathic models of various intakes.

I finally made it to 33 days with only fluids, electrolytes, a colon cleaning routine.

Leaned a lot. Lost 27 pounds. Spent the last day of fast cutting & splitting 2 cords of firewood, loading-unloading & stacking it.

I was 30 at the time. It was a most invigorating experience.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My longest fast a few years ago was about 21 days (IIRC).

I'm now on day two, and hoping to break my previous record.

Seriously, why? Especially disturbing is this setting, then breaking, a "record" business.

Other than some medical procedures (like before a surgery) or tests, or some kind of religious ritual, or a form of protest like, for example, Mahatma Gandhi (and I don't think even he went that long), there is no reason to fast more than ~24 hours that I know of.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Signewt,
You've got mail.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If I'm already on a ketogenic diet, I don't find starting a fast terribly difficult.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
96 Hours is my longest, I want to try for 100 hours at some point.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6304 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40 days on a juice fast. Not sure on just water. I have thought about doing one again. I was amazed at how great I felt during it.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy. Survival training at Elgin AFB. 2-3 days. Followed by colonoscopy prep 2 days ago. That sucked. Hungry and that shit made me want to throw up.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Easy. Survival training at Elgin AFB. 2-3 days. Followed by colonoscopy prep 2 days ago. That sucked. Hungry and that shit made me want to throw up.

I've had several colonoscopies, my doctor at the time had a fantastic method. None of the salt water stuff.

2 laxatives
32 ounce Gatorade with a full bottle of miralax mixed in. (tastes just like Gatorade, but had a little viscocity)
2 laxatives

Took about 6 hours to complete and then you went to bed. 18-24 hours without food at most.

If I ever have to do it again ill do this method, regardless of what the doctor says, a clean tract is a clean tract.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6304 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friday, July 2nd this year, I couldn't eat dinner, not feeling well. Couldn't eat on Saturday, either. Vomiting and intestinal pain that afternoon, ER about 6pm, emergency appendectomy just after midnight (there was a waiting line for surgery), no food for about the next four or five days until my system could clean out the bile. Survived on IV antibiotics and Ringer's, not even allowed to swallow water

I'm not exactly sure, but it was five or six days fasting. It's now over 3-1/2 months and I'm still one notch shy of my pre-surgery belt hole.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
96 hours for me. I'm hoping to get to 5 days.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
10 days, but I was in the ICU on a ventilator and IV antibiotics, so that probably doesn't count... Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post