SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's with a Rolex?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with a Rolex? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Still have my old Rolex Submariner I bought in 1985 for $900. Did have it gone through 10 yrs back which cost me more than the watch did. But now it looks like new , bracelet is tight, etc. Sits in my safe. Wear it maybe 2-3 times a year.

DO have a quartz Omega Seamaster Pro thats more accurate and cost me half of what the Sub did. Has the LOOKS of an SMP auto movmt but far cheaper and far more accurate. I do wear it a lot.

Rest of the time, my CASIO mudmaster beater.

You either "get" auto, high end watches or you don't.

I can't understand expensive cowboy boots or cowboy hats. Same for quite a few other interests. We are all different.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Why buy a Sig when you can get a Hi-point or Jennings.

Posts: 5316 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
better time is a misnomer. i'll never be so attached to a phone that i need it to tell the time.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they make good watches, just like Leica makes good cameras, but for many people they are status symbols that say "I've made it."

Posts: 2494 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
Mine was my grandfather's. One day, it'll be my son's. I don't think any Apple product will become an heirloom.

Funny, CNBC interviewed the CEO of swatch group when the Apple watch came out, his comment...

In 50 years an Omega will still be an Omega, what will a Apple watch be?

Landfill

Will I ever test it's 600m water proofness....nope but I love how durable it it is and how it looks...and yes I wear it working in the yard, hunting etc.

Yes it's man jewelry but I like it

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If you have to skimp on the rent to buy one, don’t. If you’re just leaving a shitload of money behind when you’re dead anyways, why the hell not?

I will never understand why people don’t understand that some folks just have a shit load of disposable income and chose to spend it on shit they enjoy for reasons that have nothing to do with “need.”

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Oyster Date when I was in Cyprus in 1969 for around 200.00. My third and last Oyster Date Just with presidential bracelet I bought in Tokyo in 1978. Under 300.00 with diplomatic discount. Geneva had it twice for service and finally advised me they could not get it to the accuracy standard they advertised because I rode a motorcycle. Too much vibration so sold it in '79 for what I paid for it. Never wanted another.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'm shopping for a Rolex Explorer II or GMT Pepsi bezel now. They are worth every penny, if you buy right. They generally appreciate.

As for Chinese status seekers, they only care about new stuff. My in-laws (Chinese) once asked me about a guy in a restaurant who was wearing an old Oyster and how much it cost. I replied that it was probably pretty cheap when he bought it, but that they stopped making that one a while ago and it was probably worth a lot more now. They immediate lost interest, because it wasn't new. I also showed a photo of a buddy's '71 Ferrari Daytona to a Chinese friend. He was totally uninterested because it was old.

All the money in the world can't buy taste.

Posts: 3572 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:

If an 'average' SIG only cost $5,000 or $6,000, there'd probably be a lot fewer members here.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I have a @1980 GMT 2 tone I bought new and my dad's early 60's Pepsi GMT that he bought in Hong Kong when we went for R&R from Saigon. Both are worth much more than paid for originally (dad paid $150.00 new). Wouldn't part with either for anything, especially the pepsi.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Ferrari costs a lot more than a Prius but the Prius gets better mileage, pollutes less, carries more cargo and carries more people.

So a Prius is a better car than a Ferrari per your logic.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other thing I'd like to add, it depends on your income level. To all of my customers who are making several million to several hundred million dollars per year, a $10k watch is about like most normal people buying a $30 watch...…...something they don't think about. A lot of them give Rolex's to their Captain's as gifts in my industry. Just like there are a few members on here who post pictures and have a dozen say $4k plus guns in the picture...….they're nice to look at the pictures, I don't own a single $4k gun, but nobody chastises them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
I've spent enough on training classes(shooting, jujitsu, combative in weapons based environments) over the past 20 years to likely buy a couple of Rolexes. I'm not a cop or a soldier and have no aspirations to ever be either. There are lots of people who wonder why I would spend 2 days traveling across the country to attend them. I work a bunch so I can do and have things that bring me enjoyment.

I like firearms, nice knives and watches. The most I've ever spent on a watch was about a grand. I've been chasing a particular Sinn model for a while now, so far with no luck, they retail in the range of a lower end, used Rolex. My grail watch is a two tone Rolex Submariner.

I live a very simple life, drive vehicles till they are used up. There is nothing about me that needs or wants a "status symbol".

Watches are very intricate machines. I appreciate what goes into them. It's just one more thing that brings joy to me.

What brings joy to your life?

Buy yourself the one you want, you only live once.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There's a guy on YouTube named "Producer Michael".

You should check out some of his watch videos.

This guy has more money than, something.

And he seems to just be a really nice decent guy who is having fun with his money.

Posts: 11869 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I'm sure they make good watches, just like Leica makes good cameras, but for many people they are status symbols that say "I've made it."

Have you never had something you wanted? Growing up, did you have a poster of a Lamborghini Countach or Ferrari Testarossa on your wall? Have you ever wanted to own a house?

What is wrong with someone achieving their goal?

I took me 20 years of flying before I felt comfortable to buy a nice watch. I got a Breitling Aerospace, which is a quartz nothingburger in this neighborhood. But it was awesome for me, and at about $4K, more than most people would spend on a watch.

But every time I looked at it on my wrist I was reminded that yes, I had made it to the point where I could afford the thing.

It is now 10 years on and my watch collection has grown considerably...

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1774 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I see in the classified section that there is a Rolex for sale for $12,000. It just had a $2,000 cleaning. I have an iPhone that costs less and keeps better time. A Ferrari costs more but really a watch?

Why do you own Sig Sauer when a Glock shoots bullets too? Same answer- you're a "gun" person. Some people aren't. Some can't figure out why I have a $2000 AR, or measure ammo by the POUND and not round. People can't figure out why we have 5, 20, 50, 100 guns in our personal collection.

Some people are "watch" people. Some aren't.
And if you think "Rolex" is high end, boy-o-boy are you in for a surprise! Eek

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8372 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3241 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:

Hey now. Mrs. slosig just inherited one of each of those. An occupation built Pistole Modell 27 too, complete with the “fnh” stamp on it. The FIL was a good guy, but let’s just say he had different taste in firearms than some.

Posts: 6934 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
A Ferrari costs a lot more than a Prius but the Prius gets better mileage, pollutes less, carries more cargo and carries more people.

So a Prius is a better car than a Ferrari per your logic.

It absolutely is by some metrics. Nevermind folks like me that have an absolute religious aversion to the idea of being within ten feet of a Prius.

Also, you have to consider the cool factor. I do have to give some credit to those Prius drivers with the bumper sticker that says, ‘’ “Cool Prius!” - Nobody ever’’ or something close to that.

Posts: 6934 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
At some point, all of your basic human needs are met.

Everything else, to some extent, is a luxury.

Nobody needs a Rolex, just like nobody needs to see the afternoon sun light up Half Dome, or to experience the satisfaction of baking bread from scratch. All are expressions of converting excess time into joy.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post