SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's with a Rolex?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with a Rolex? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The newest movements are utilitarian in manufacture.

No pearlage, no geneva stripes, no engraving.

Wow. I'm a little depressed at that. I hadn't realized that is the case.

Mind you, with Rolex, I prefer the solid case back for the added durability and (some) additional anti-magnetic resistance. But I like a watch of this level to skimp on nothing. I'm sure you're aware, but some will be surprised to learn that proper finishing like perlage and Geneva striping was also considered functional in grabbing dust and preventing it from migrating into the moving parts.

Linky

Here's a (poor quality) pic of a 3185 (GMT with date) movement of mine.

Posts: 11400 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got one I seldom wear but my wife has one that she wears regularly. There are a lot of gun show vendors who are Rolex traders as well. I consider mine a bauble and it means little other than it's worth decent money. I wear a plain jane field watch with a nice horween leather band for my everyday wear.

Posts: 4707 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have one that was my grandfather’s. Box,papers,booklet,link I took out, & cloth to wipe it with.

In the photo the price was actually the serial number, very nice simple watch that has sentimental attachment to me and my family. I will hand this on to one of my sons.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
This OP has to be trolling. Right?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That's superb! Congratulations to have such a wonderful piece with the wonderful family connection.

Posts: 11400 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by
I have one that was my grandfather’s.
That is a cool watch. I’m thinking it is a mechanical movement in an Oysterquartz case. 34mm maybe? Kind of rare.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Not necesarily. Not everybody is a watch person. Spending thousands of dollars on a watch when one could get a quartz Timex or Casio for $30 that will keep just as good time seems silly to some. Also, it's a luxury item that most could not afford or justify.

I couldn't afford one today, but I did get a 1995 Submariner from my father. It is an amazing watch, but I only really wear it to work. Sometimes, I go the whole day without ever looking at it. I don't need any watch, but I still love them. I have a Seiko I bought in 1991; it has several sub-dials and a slide-rule bezel thing that I've never been smart enough to understand, but I wore that watch for 10 yrs as my work watch. That set me back $300, which was really a chunk for me at the time (right after I enlisted in the Air Force). I wore that one all across the world and got my money's worth. I have another watch I'll wear to work nowadays. It's a Swiss Army watch, that I like almost as much as my Rolex (my wife bought it for me for Christmas one year).

I just take after my dad. We both love(d) cars, trains, aircraft, and pretty much anything else that represents a high degree of engineering. I know that if I take care of it, my Submariner will last long after I'm dead and gone. At my current income level, I could never consider buying another one (or replacing this one if it was lost or stolen). I still like to gawk and drool at the watch counter whenever I get into a jewelry store. Tissot makes a really sweet pocket watch for just over $200 that I've been eyeing. I don't need that one either, but I'm a watch junkie.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a Swiss Army watch, that I like almost as much as my Rolex..

Swiss Army watch is what I wear daily ($38USD used). It's Quartz movement, takes a beating and still keeps accurate time. The Omega and the TAG stay home, on winders.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The newest movements are utilitarian in manufacture.

No pearlage, no geneva stripes, no engraving.

Wow. I'm a little depressed at that. I hadn't realized that is the case.

https://www.bobswatches.com/ro...vs-caliber-3235.html

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34155 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for myself, but I'm in the crowd of those who always wanted something and worked towards achieving one.

I love the shit out of mine, I wear it constantly, I wear it when I shouldn't, but I wear it anyhow. My thought is, it's built like a fucking tank, and I paid enough for it, so I'm going to wear it all the time. Day in and day out, since I bought it, it's been on my wrist. I don't give a fuck if it keeps time better or worse than a sundial, a Casio, or a battery operated WHATEVER.

It's a great ice breaker with other WIS or people who appreciate them. In the grand scheme of things, i've blown money on much dumber things that are either not tangible or no loner with me.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You, sir, are the exact person who should have a Rolex!

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
This pre-owned Y-serial Turn-O-Graph cost me about $2400 in March 2009, as the "banking crisis" hit home for some collectors. I wore it for a year and flipped it at a little better than break-even (after shipping) before the market recovered. It would be described as a "black stick 16264" and has an 18K white gold rotating bezel. Interesting point, it was bought as a leftover (almost "thrown in as a bonus" during a bigger deal) and was still under the 2-year Rolex transferrable warranty; not running to COSC, possibly because it sat for so long, I was able to sent it to NY RSC for a full overhaul at only my one-way shipping cost - USPS Registered Insured Priority Small Package Mail. Which I did.

that's a beautiful watch

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly in the same class as Rolex, I have a couple breitlings.
First was a gift from my wife after returning from Iraq, and wore daily even on a deployment to Afghanistan. Then she surprised me in Vegas with a second one, limited edition wearing right now. Does my phone or fit bit keep accurate time? Of course but much like the difference between a
production colt or Springfield versus a nighthawk
or Wilson they do have a certain panache that makes them enjoyable to own.

Posts: 3303 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
MikeinNC, wow! That is incredible! I don’t think I could bring myself to wear such a treasure. That is so cool. My grandfather wasn’t into Rolex watches but he did give me a snub nosed Colt Python that is one of my most cherished possessions.

If one of my kids ever shows an interest in watches they will be inheriting some treasures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21133 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
stickman Well, Pop-pop gave me his World War Two smith and Wesson 38 special revolver that has US Navy engraved across the topstrap. And his watch. i use them both.

I wear it on occasion, I never wore it when I was a cop, cause I’d have broken it- I’ve seen me, I could ruin an anvil...(former sailor)

rOgue thank you sir.

WoodmanI looked it up, the model number is 1530. I did find the following

“ROLEX VINTAGE DATE 1530

It has been estimated that Rolex only produced about 1,500 Date reference 1530's. This rare timepiece is an important part of Rolex history. A transitional model of sorts, the 34mm Oyster case that accompanies this men's watch was designed specifically to house a Quartz movement. Released a few years before Quartz movements became available, Rolex instead equipped the reference 1530 with a calibre 1570 perpetual movement. The inspiration, however, remains with a case with lines and angles that closely mirror that of an OysterQuartz timepiece. Additionally, the case is paired with a stainless steel integral bracelet, another feature that isn't common among Rolex watches with mechanical movements. A silver tritium dial accompanies this men's reference, enhancing its distinct design.”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Rolex 1530 with box and papers is funky 70s cool. Interesting article on hodinkee regarding one for sale. You may want to investigate insuring it at the prices that model trades for.

https://shop.hodinkee.com/prod...?variant=17827404868

Posts: 4787 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
A Ferrari costs a lot more than a Prius but the Prius gets better mileage, pollutes less, carries more cargo and carries more people.

So a Prius is a better car than a Ferrari per your logic.

It is if what the Prius does well and represents matters more to you than what the Ferrari does well and represents.

I know several “off grid” types, the last you’d expect to see in a Prius, but they own one... sometimes two... because they can turn their solar/wind/water power into gas. For them a Prius is absolutely better than a Ferrari.

If I had the money for a Ferrari I’d buy a 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429.

Rolex is a little much for me but I’m looking really hard at a Citizen Eco-Drive Navihawk Atomic Timekeeping Watch... ~$500....

Doni need all that? Nope. Do I want it? Yep...

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I’ve always liked watches going to back to when I was a kid and couldn’t even read the time on them. I remember seeing Rolex adds in Outdoor Life as a young teen. Mechanical watches, in my opinion, are an engineering marvel in much the same way as a the mechanisms of firearms.

21 years ago I bought a Rolex Sea-Dweller and have worn it almost exclusively ever since. Dividing the purchase price plus two services at ~10 years each by the years I’ve worn it gives me a cost of ownership of ~$265/annually. As others have noted, I could easily get my money back plus some level of profit if I chose to sell it (not that I ever would). The stainless steel sport models from Rolex are now at a premium and can be pretty difficult to find. Discussions on watch forums such as TimeZone provide more insight in the changes of the watch market. Rolex is hardly at the top end of watch prices these days but still maintain a great reputation, longevity, toughness, and often imitated style.

Michael

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Maybe not intentionally so it would go into the passive-aggressive high horse thread category.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's with a Rolex?

It's like an heirloom flintlock pistol. A beautiful, pricey, mechanically elegant anachronism, completely supplanted functionally in modern society.

Posts: 15040 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post