SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tour along Interstate 10.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour along Interstate 10. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Just moved my son from Minneapolis to Tallahassee to do his graduate work at FSU. As many had recommended I tried Dreamland BBQ. The meat was fantastic but the sauce was really familiar. Turns out I've had something close to it for the last 3 decades. A local BBQ place here in Pueblo the owner is from Georgia and his sauce is really close to what is served at Dreamland. One observation. Most people who have lived in Florida have one common gripe. The bugs. I drove from Tallahassee to New Orleans with hardly a bug hitting my windshield. I spent four days in Tallahassee and the only bugs we saw were the common bottle fly, bees, wasps, dragonflies, and a couple of butterflies. I spent five days in the deep south and not even one mosquito bite. Where are all the bugs in the south? With all the water and humidity and foliage. Did Bald Point, and Pensacola Beach, and I should have been cutting through a sea of bugs. What gives?

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
They must have all moved north for the summer. We've had more bugs in Indiana this summer than I've ever seen before. There are so many mosquitos at my range I hardly even want to go shoot!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Lovebugs are seasonal.

You challenged the gods, we're all doomed unless
volcano/virgin/sacrifice. Eek

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The ants ate them all

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Drove down to Bald Point. All of those beach houses up on stilts. Wonder what those folks pay for home owners insurance.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Love bugs in September. The mosquitoes are waiting for you to eat more barbecue before they attack. If you are back this way, The Fish House in Pensacola for seafood is about the best. Also right off I10 just east of Mobile in Foley is a great seafood place called Felix's. The crab soup is outstanding.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Too much humidity for the bugs here but a longer season? Maybe there are more things here that eat bugs and keep them under control.
I grew up in the Northeast and the peak temperatures there and the size of the mosquitos was worse than anything in the south.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Love bugs in September. The mosquitoes are waiting for you to eat more barbecue before they attack. If you are back this way, The Fish House in Pensacola for seafood is about the best. Also right off I10 just east of Mobile in Foley is a great seafood place called Felix's. The crab soup is outstanding.

Thanks for the tips. We will be back at some point. Probably for his graduation. Gonna write these down. We drove past the sign for the Naval Air Museum but didn't have the time to stop. Also Battle Ship Memorial Park is slated for the next visit if possible. Pensacola Beach was spectacular. If you're a beach person I highly recommend it.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are all the bugs in the south? With all the water and humidity and foliage.

Every one of those little bastards is down here in central and south Texas right now.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Driving I-10 to attend an FSU home football game can be sloppy with lovebugs. They seem to be attracted to white minivans. Felix's Fish Camp is near the battleship. At P'Beach, The Grand Marlin is THE best seafood restaurant for miles and miles. God, we miss it!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting a link to the menu. We didn't try any seafood places because the Gulf's specialty is shrimp. I'm allergic to shell fish so that puts most of the Felix menu off limits for me. The other place has more that I can have. Checking The Fish House menu I could make a couple of those work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goose5,