SIGforum
You know a bear likes you when...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8070039184

May 11, 2021, 11:56 AM
BBMW
You know a bear likes you when...
...she brings her cubs over for a visit

I figured we had a gator in the driveway thread today, so why not a bear (and cubs) on a porch thread?
May 11, 2021, 12:51 PM
gw3971
Wow! Super cute cubs and a chill encounter.
May 11, 2021, 12:56 PM
old rugged cross
That is a big sow! Cubs are just days old.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
May 11, 2021, 12:59 PM
PHPaul
I think the Wildlife People are aware of her. Looks like a collar and ear tags.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
May 11, 2021, 01:15 PM
joel9507
Way cool! Smile
May 11, 2021, 05:03 PM
architect
I'd be hiding the Pic-a-nic baskets!
May 11, 2021, 05:06 PM
nhtagmember
that was cool
May 11, 2021, 05:17 PM
Cookster
I think if that were me I’d be clanging pots and pans together or blowing horns or something to scare the crap out of them so they would not want to ever come back to my house!

Bears may be cute and all that, that is until you start getting eaten by one.

May 11, 2021, 05:38 PM
RichardC
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I think the Wildlife People are aware of her. Looks like a collar and ear tags.

She got her shots.

May 12, 2021, 05:17 AM
sourdough44
Is that one of those ‘tame’ NJ bears?
May 12, 2021, 11:01 AM
BBMW
He's had this relationship with the local black bears for years (and generations of bears.) IIRC Simone started visiting when she was a cub.

He's put out lots of videos with the visiting bears. They seem to respect him, and back off when he tells them to. It's actually very interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I think if that were me I’d be clanging pots and pans together or blowing horns or something to scare the crap out of them so they would not want to ever come back to my house!

May 12, 2021, 10:19 PM
rburg
quote:

You guys just lack a sense of humor. I think the Duke once said "buzzsrds got to eat, too". To be honest, I've never petted a baby bear. They sure do look playful, and the mother bears seem to lack a sense of humor about it.

Unhappy ammo seeker
May 12, 2021, 10:23 PM
BBMW
Except this one, who brings the kiddies over to the house for a visit.

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:

You guys just lack a sense of humor. I think the Duke once said "buzzsrds got to eat, too". To be honest, I've never petted a baby bear. They sure do look playful, and the mother bears seem to lack a sense of humor about it.

May 13, 2021, 05:00 PM
BBMW
To give everyone an idea how long this has been going on, here's a vid from 2017 showing the mother bear above visiting as a cub with her mother.

May 13, 2021, 07:15 PM
Graniteguy
Eventually this home owner will find out why the saying "don't feed the bears" is legit.
May 13, 2021, 07:26 PM
cas
Yep, them's the folks you read about saying "We don't know what happened, she never did that before."
May 13, 2021, 07:40 PM
Southern Rebel
Yep, she is definitely there "to serve man" - to her cubs!
May 13, 2021, 10:46 PM
BBMW
Let's be a little real here. Dogs kill somewhere around 30 people a year in the US. Black bears kill less than one person per year. People make them out to be wild eyed man eaters. Facts don't, well, bear that out.
May 14, 2021, 07:21 AM
arfmel
There are an estimated 89 million dogs in the USA, and around a million bears. There are a whole lot more people in close proximity to dogs than bears, too.
May 14, 2021, 09:01 AM
Hound Dog
It's all cutesy-wootsey until a bear goes too far and has to be euthanized (along with her cubs) because some stupid humans tried to make them into pets.

These are wild animals - they have no business hanging out on somebody's front porch. Those animals seem to have lost their fear of man. That breeds familiarity, which only increases the chance of a bad bear/human encounter.

Sure, dogs kill more people than bears. Dogs also kill more people than Great White Sharks. It would still be foolish in the extreme to try to make a pet out of a Great White. . .

It's a neat video, and those are beautiful animals. It just bugs me to see this sort of wildlife/human interaction being glamorized.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher