SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You know a bear likes you when...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know a bear likes you when... Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
...she brings her cubs over for a visit

I figured we had a gator in the driveway thread today, so why not a bear (and cubs) on a porch thread?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Wow! Super cute cubs and a chill encounter.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is a big sow! Cubs are just days old.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19215 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I think the Wildlife People are aware of her. Looks like a collar and ear tags.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15255 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Way cool! Smile

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'd be hiding the Pic-a-nic baskets!

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that was cool

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if that were me I’d be clanging pots and pans together or blowing horns or something to scare the crap out of them so they would not want to ever come back to my house!

Bears may be cute and all that, that is until you start getting eaten by one.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I think the Wildlife People are aware of her. Looks like a collar and ear tags.

She got her shots.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15905 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Is that one of those ‘tame’ NJ bears?

Posts: 6172 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He's had this relationship with the local black bears for years (and generations of bears.) IIRC Simone started visiting when she was a cub.

He's put out lots of videos with the visiting bears. They seem to respect him, and back off when he tells them to. It's actually very interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I think if that were me I’d be clanging pots and pans together or blowing horns or something to scare the crap out of them so they would not want to ever come back to my house!

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

You guys just lack a sense of humor. I think the Duke once said "buzzsrds got to eat, too". To be honest, I've never petted a baby bear. They sure do look playful, and the mother bears seem to lack a sense of humor about it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Except this one, who brings the kiddies over to the house for a visit.

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:

You guys just lack a sense of humor. I think the Duke once said "buzzsrds got to eat, too". To be honest, I've never petted a baby bear. They sure do look playful, and the mother bears seem to lack a sense of humor about it.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
To give everyone an idea how long this has been going on, here's a vid from 2017 showing the mother bear above visiting as a cub with her mother.

posted Hide Post
Eventually this home owner will find out why the saying "don't feed the bears" is legit.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yep, them's the folks you read about saying "We don't know what happened, she never did that before."

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, she is definitely there "to serve man" - to her cubs!

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Let's be a little real here. Dogs kill somewhere around 30 people a year in the US. Black bears kill less than one person per year. People make them out to be wild eyed man eaters. Facts don't, well, bear that out.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There are an estimated 89 million dogs in the USA, and around a million bears. There are a whole lot more people in close proximity to dogs than bears, too.

Posts: 26929 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
It's all cutesy-wootsey until a bear goes too far and has to be euthanized (along with her cubs) because some stupid humans tried to make them into pets.

These are wild animals - they have no business hanging out on somebody's front porch. Those animals seem to have lost their fear of man. That breeds familiarity, which only increases the chance of a bad bear/human encounter.

Sure, dogs kill more people than bears. Dogs also kill more people than Great White Sharks. It would still be foolish in the extreme to try to make a pet out of a Great White. . .

It's a neat video, and those are beautiful animals. It just bugs me to see this sort of wildlife/human interaction being glamorized.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post