SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Ham radio thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Ham radio thread Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Congrats Gustofer! Life has slowed my progress to study and finally upgrade to General. Even as a Tech, I’ve enjoyed HF phone on 10m mostly. I need to get serious and make the time. Maybe your upgrade will provide the inspiration.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
How did you do on the code test? Wink

I'm sure you're being facetious, but for those who are unaware, Morse Code isn't required for a Ham License anymore.

Of course (facetious). But it was a requirement when I blazed through the exams (Tech to Extra in six months). I remember carrying a little cassette recorder with code practice tapes to and from work, and I barely passed even then. And six months later, all I could read was ...---... It just left my brain completely. I never intended to operate CW, but drill sgt is correct. CW uses much less bandwidth than voice and can punch through in less than ideal conditions. Kind of like text (SMS) vs voice on our cell phones.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gustofer,
Congrats on getting it done. I’ve been a General for many years, the link and your success may prompt me to do same.
What equipment did you get? I have a large assortment of tube and current design (Elecraft) radios. More radios than I allow myself time to get on the air.
KG4SZS, Billy

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
thank you for the link, I have been putting off getting licensed for years....need to do it this year.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:

What equipment did you get?

I picked up a Yaesu FT-991A (with some associated bells and whistles), and several antennas (roof mounted 2M, end feed dipole, center feed dipole, and a Buddipole Deluxe long version for portable use). Still looking for a good battery and solar charging system.

Now I need to get around to drilling holes in my wall and digging holes in my lawn...neither of which I'm crazy about doing. Mother nature is not cooperating though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:

What equipment did you get?

I picked up a Yaesu FT-991A (with some associated bells and whistles), and several antennas (roof mounted 2M, end feed dipole, center feed dipole, and a Buddipole Deluxe long version for portable use). Still looking for a good battery and solar charging system.

Now I need to get around to drilling holes in my wall and digging holes in my lawn...neither of which I'm crazy about doing. Mother nature is not cooperating though.

FT991a is on my short list for when I get my General. Shack in a Box sans wires x node capabilities.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Of course (facetious). But it was a requirement when I blazed through the exams (Tech to Extra in six months). I remember carrying a little cassette recorder with code practice tapes to and from work, and I barely passed even then. And six months later, all I could read was ...---... It just left my brain completely. I never intended to operate CW, but drill sgt is correct. CW uses much less bandwidth than voice and can punch through in less than ideal conditions. Kind of like text (SMS) vs voice on our cell phones.

I went quicker than you from Novice to Advanced, 30 days total, then met Wife #2 and forgot about it for 2 years. Then I buckled down on the Code and passed my 20 WPM for Extra pretty easily. You went quicker from tech to Extra though.

I'm not active now for various reasons, but when I was I mostly operated QRP (5 watts or less) and CW. I got to where I could do about 35 WPM on a good day, 25 SPM on a regular day.

I've worked most of the Continents using 5 watts or less and CW and occasionally SSB.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'd been thinking about becoming a ham for a long time but could never get past the code requirement. When they dropped that I decided to go ahead. I got my Technician license in 2007 and upgraded to General a year or so later. I had some fun on HF but I found that I'm not much of a talker (I kind of already knew that, but went ahead anyway), and after just getting into a conversation I would start to look for an excuse to end it. Doorbell or whatever.

A few years ago my (homemade) antennas were blown down in a wind storm. When I went to put them back up I found that the wires had oxidized and become so fragile that they snapped wherever I touched them. So I just rolled it all up in a ball and pretty much forgot about it. I still have my radios, and renewed my license in `17 even though I wasn't using it.

Now, getting closer to retirement in another couple years or so, I find myself more interested in resuming the hobby. I'm planning on moving to a much redder state than Oregon when (or even before) I retire, so we'll see what happens.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ A lot of folks don't do traditional voice. CW with 5 watts and a wire is very popular. Our esteemed and departed JAllen didn't use voice, ever, he was a 5 watt and a wire CW guy.

Digital is very popular, there are now so many various methods of digital I can't keep up with all of them

It's easy now to do Yaesu Fusion or Icom has their variants, letting you communicate all over the world.

Satellite seems to be getting more popular and easier than ever. Allegedly amateur TV is getting more easier and simpler and popular.

I'm looking forward to retirement next year, spending my winters in Arizona, and working mobil and portable, and moving around to various places to operate.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^ A lot of folks don't do traditional voice. CW with 5 watts and a wire is very popular. Our esteemed and departed JAllen didn't use voice, ever, he was a 5 watt and a wire CW guy.

Digital is very popular, there are now so many various methods of digital I can't keep up with all of them

It's easy now to do Yaesu Fusion or Icom has their variants, letting you communicate all over the world.

Now, the notion of low power CW is interesting, if nothing else than from the SHTF viewpoint. Is it "cheating" to use the automatic keying stuff, i.e. type it in and the computer converts it to CW and transmits it? One of the reasons I gave up on real CW is because I have a neurological condition that makes my hands shake, sometimes bad enough that any CW from a hand key would just be gibberish. I also can't shoot a handgun for squat, same reason.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I did CW in the Navy and could copy and send at 25 WPM although receive was on a typewriter. Muscle memory to the rhythmic sounds made that easy. Copying with a pencil I was much slower, and just listening and knowing what was being sent was a talent I never mastered. Guys that I went to school with who went directly aboard ship said it was easy after awhile. They had no choice.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FT-991, replacement for the FT-897. Got it. Good all around radio.
My code story: I studied for my code test for 2-3 weeks the 'right way' and realized that I wasn’t going to be ready in time for the test at the Hamfest. I stepped back and just got the memorization training materials. I passed the test. Less than 2 weeks later the FCC announced that the code requirements would no longer be required.
I still remember the 9 letters I learned the 'right way' the others were forgotten in two weeks.

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My nephew moved to Washington state and got his technician license about a month ago. He proposed I get my license so we can communicate in case of emergencies.

I'm going to take my test this Saturday. I should pass. But I think I also want to get a General license also so I can have a wider range of frequencies.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

A few years ago my (homemade) antennas were blown down in a wind storm. When I went to put them back up I found that the wires had oxidized and become so fragile that they snapped wherever I touched them. So I just rolled it all up in a ball and pretty much forgot about it. I still have my radios, and renewed my license in `17 even though I wasn't using it.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you had crappy wire. You need a better wire, and you won't find it at the local big box stores.

Call my buddy Mike, the owner and tell him N5USS sent you. Talk to him about antenna wire and guy ropes, etc, and what he recommends for you. COAXMAN Link BTW he is a one man shop, so you might have to leave a voice mail for him, he will call you back. You can click the WIRE link, then ANTENNA Wire, and look. He also has an excellent all purpose flatop (dipole) antenna, everything you need, for a very good price of $74.50

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you had crappy wire. You need a better wire, and you won't find it at the local big box stores.

Call my buddy Mike, the owner and tell him N5USS sent you. Talk to him about antenna wire and guy ropes, etc, and what he recommends for you. COAXMAN Link BTW he is a one man shop, so you might have to leave a voice mail for him, he will call you back. You can click the WIRE link, then ANTENNA Wire, and look. He also has an excellent all purpose flatop (dipole) antenna, everything you need, for a very good price of $74.50

Yeah, it was cheap wire (not the coax, the coax is fine, it was the radiator wires that oxidized). Probably some twin-lead electrical wire, I honestly don't recall now. I'll save that link and give it a look when I get around to rebuilding. Thanks!

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Congratulations on a significant achievement.

Getting some equipment and a license is in my bucket, just like getting a pilot's license...

Too much "want to do" not enough "time and $"...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have been at a friend's house when he was "contesting" over CW. Both ends were using computer generated code. It was so fast I doubt any human could follow it, except perhaps lifetime radio operators who operate for a living.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm guessing you were using copperweld wire for your antennas?

quote:

Now, the notion of low power CW is interesting, if nothing else than from the SHTF viewpoint. Is it "cheating" to use the automatic keying stuff, i.e. type it in and the computer converts it to CW and transmits it? One of the reasons I gave up on real CW is because I have a neurological condition that makes my hands shake, sometimes bad enough that any CW from a hand key would just be gibberish. I also can't shoot a handgun for squat, same reason.

I mostly ran 5 watts CW when I was active and it's very obvious when someone is using an automatic keyer as everyone has a "fist" which is the distinctive way they send CW. The automatic has none, so all the old timers will know almost immediately. Some of them would probably be annoyed by it but if you tell them what your condition is, they'll be fine with it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Gustofer.
I know it took a lot of hard work.
Were you able to take the test online or did you go to a testing site?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
Congratulations, Gustofer.
I know it took a lot of hard work.
Were you able to take the test online or did you go to a testing site?

Resurrected thread. Cool.

I went over to Sandpoint, ID to take it on paper. The Bonner County Amateur Radio Club put on a testing day there. Had to drive through a blizzard that morning to get there and I wasn't sure if they were going to cancel it or not due to the weather. It went on, and quite a few folks showed up. I'd say there were probably 20 testing. Most were Tech level and 3-4 testing General. I was the only one who did Extra.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post