SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Ham radio thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Ham radio thread Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've been a tech level for about ten years. I originally did it because a couple of the guys I hunted with at the time had their's and used handhelds off repeaters to keep in touch vs. over the counter FRS radios.

I've wanted to upgrade to General for some time just for the extra frequencies, but have put it off for years. Something always came up that seemed more important. Well, I got a wild hair a few weeks ago and spent a few thousand on new radio equipment and antennas. I figured that would motivate me to move up. It did, and this morning I passed both the General and Extra level exams. I studied my butt off for the past few weeks and it paid off.

I'm not posting this to blow my own horn or anything, but rather to perhaps motivate anyone sitting on the fence to go ahead and do it. It's really not too difficult (especially the Tech level exam) and hell, if I can do it anyone can.

I'll give a big plug to the website https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/. It's an excellent study program that goes through all of the material as well as all of the possible questions, giving you explanations as to why your answer is right or wrong. Between that and reading through the ARRL books, I was really well prepared.

Give it a whirl and get on the air! You never know, it may come in handy one of these days.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations to you.

de N5USS

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That’s great

Congrats.

KB1MEZ

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, I'm in the process of studying more for Extra after upgrading to general and missing extra by a few questions recently after having been a technician for some time.

The math and concepts aren't too bad for Extra from what I've seen (I just hadn't prepared very well before my previous attempt).

This play list has some good animations and explanations of electrical circuits and components:
https://youtube.com/playlist?l...PnnwpbG-ZKV_EjX03DX8

Dave Casler and W4EEY both have helpful YouTube channels with study material and discussions of concepts for the various levels of licensing.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.

Sandman: The math portion really isn't bad. Basic multiplication/division type stuff. Perhaps some minor algebra if you want to get carried away, but there's no need to. There is a ton of electrical principles and circuits. That's what I struggled with. My dad was an electrician for nearly 60 years. You'd think some of that would have rubbed off on me...nope Big Grin . Other than that though, it's really not difficult material, there's just a lot of it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

After any decades of interest, I got my General in 2018, started to get into it but then “life” happened and it went to the back burner.

Got oodles of radios, need better antenna(s). Most recently picked up some DMR rigs. It will become a higher priority after retirement in a year or so.

KI7YQW

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10912 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Congrats. You’ll have a lot of fun on HF. Listen to some nets and find out who sounds like your kind of guys.
K8KJB

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Congrats.... need to get off my lazy General backside and get after the Extra Class study guide... 1st licensed in Jan 1978 in Alaska while stationed with the US Army ................... de KL7JIU ..... aka drill sgt.

Posts: 1948 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
congrats. I got my Technician July 2020 and like you I started studying for the General but got side tracked. Still exploring and having fun with the VHF/UHF digital modes.

73 K5LTG

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link ... ! I want to get my first license as I have recently picked up a Heathkit HW-101 kit. Problem is I do not have any of the tubes and need to find some.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Thanks for the link ... ! I want to get my first license as I have recently picked up a Heathkit HW-101 kit. Problem is I do not have any of the tubes and need to find some.

Start poking around on QRZ dot com and in the Forums, and the subforum Boat Anchors & Classic Equipment. I know there are specific website for what you asked, I just don't know who they are.

QRZ is an excellent site, it is not the end all be all, but it will get your going in the right direction.

posted Hide Post
Most excellent! You will enjoy the increased band privileges.

Jerry
AE4JS

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on upgrading!

I recently bought a new Rig Expert hoping that it would motivate me to construct a few new HF antennas. No luck so far but I'm at least zeroing in on a few interesting designs.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
this morning I passed both the General and Extra level exams. I studied my butt off for the past few weeks and it paid off.

How did you do on the code test? Wink

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I'm sure you're being facetious, but for those who are unaware, Morse Code isn't required for a Ham License anymore.

As the OP says, it's very easy these days to get a license because the study guides follow the tests exactly, so there's only some memorization required, unlike years ago when a lot of knowledge was required.

Full disclosure: I'm a Volunteer Examiner for the ARRL and have been since the program started, and an Extra Class licensee since 1983.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
I need to get off my own butt, and study for a Tech license.

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

I'm sure you're being facetious, but for those who are unaware, Morse Code isn't required for a Ham License anymore.

As the OP says, it's very easy these days to get a license because the study guides follow the tests exactly, so there's only some memorization required, unlike years ago when a lot of knowledge was required.

Full disclosure: I'm a Volunteer Examiner for the ARRL and have been since the program started, and an Extra Class licensee since 1983.

Yeah buddy, Pass the Marconi Salad. ( Sorry, I gotta stop making cheesey jokes)

posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
I was studying for Extra but it was so far over my head that I lost interest.
If at some point I feel I'm missing out I'll pick it up again.
Much respect to those with that level of knowledge and understanding.

KD9QGK

Posts: 36 | Location: Near St Louis MO, Let's Go Blues! | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dang, did not know that ... been studying Morse Code the last few weeks. At least now I can understand the code, but not fast by any means.

OKCGene ... thank you sir for the tube link.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
quote:

Dang, did not know that ... been studying Morse Code the last few weeks. At least now I can understand the code, but not fast by any means.

OKCGene ... thank you sir for the tube link.
^^^^^^^^^^^ Eventhough the testing for knowlege of "Morse Code" (the orginal digital mode) has been dropped for testing purposes it is still a active and alive form of hams communicating.. Actually the "morse Code" (knowm as CW) sometimes has the ability to get through rough conditions when a voice signal can not be reliably heard....................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1948 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post