SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s the season for persimmons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s the season for persimmons Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
They’re in the stores now. So crisp and tasty. Get ‘em while the getin’s good – they’re seasonal.

When I was a kid in Missouri we got them from trees. But only after a hard frost. Else a pucker like you wouldn’t believe!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Love them. Look forward to them every year. Prefer the fuyu but like the hachiya as well. There is a farm in the region that makes hoshigaki (Japanese style dried hachiya) - expensive but tremendously nostalgic. Look forward to that as well.

Don’t know the name but I also like the Korean persimmon beverage.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Also been enjoying persimmons this time of year.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
I remember as a young chap while out walking in the woods with my father and 3 younger brothers when father offered youngest brother a green persimmon... Well he took a bite / spit out what he could / then pulled out his shirt tail and tried to wipe the taste out of his mouth... Talk about pucker power... Everybody thought it was funny except the one who bit the green persimmon. ............... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuyu's are on my table just about weekly for breakfast.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The one thing about persimmons is you gots to wait until they're fully ripe, even slightly over ripe. If I bite too soon, not only is the taste off, but my throat is scratchy for an hour.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
I remember as a young chap while out walking in the woods with my father and 3 younger brothers when father offered youngest brother a green persimmon... Well he took a bite / spit out what he could / then pulled out his shirt tail and tried to wipe the taste out of his mouth... Talk about pucker power... Everybody thought it was funny except the one who bit the green persimmon. ............... drill sgt.

We have Persimmon trees on our property. The Deer got to them before I had a chance to pick some up.
It's always great fun watching someone bite into one for the first time.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago I planted about a dozen in the back of my property. I see a few of them on the trees finally but never get any due to the deer and trash bandits. Little bastards! The damn persimmon pulp at the local orchard is expensive but boy it makes GREAT cookies!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I hadn’t known of persimmon cookies before. Guess I was living under a rock. Many recipes on the web:
https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...persimmon-cookies-i/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you like me to email you a copy of my mother's old recipe?

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
My favorite. There in Costco right now..season coming to a close soon.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love persimmons. I get some seeds from the dozens that I’ve eaten and now I have 14 germinated seeds. Hopefully, they will grow and I can plant them in my hunting property.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
Would you like me to email you a copy of my mother's old recipe?

Thanks much for your kind offer Phil, but I have to decline. First, I’m not a baker. Second, I have no idea where I’d find persimmon pulp. I’ll be on the look-out for persimmon cookies in stores though. A very different cookie, I think.

Serious about crackers

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My sister in law grows them in her backyard in CA. We've had some sent over.

Some people around here are unfamiliar with them.

I just like them peeled and sliced.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I buy the fuyu persimmons. They’re perfectly good unpeeled. Very thin skin.

Serious about crackers

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^

Well, FUYU too! Smile

I did not know that. Something else new I learned from SigForum.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used to get some from trees on the golf course. You have to be fast because the birds like them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^

Well, FUYU too! Smile

I did not know that. Something else new I learned from SigForum.

Yup, you eat the skins, just like on an apple.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post