SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Roast - Could You be the Subject or Collateral Without Taking Offense?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Roast - Could You be the Subject or Collateral Without Taking Offense? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Watching some old roasts where Don Rickles lays into Dean Martin and another where Jerry Lewis is the subject.

Funny as all get out (wife complaining my laughing keeps waking her) but in the one where Jerry is the subject, Don lays into someone not on stage (not Ronald Regan, Johnny Carson, Orson Wells, Jimmy Stewart, etc) and it got me thinking about the subject of this thread.

Personally, i honestly don't know if, at this stage in my life, i could listen without getting a little butt hurt. And the realization makes me a little sad because the his were not nasty or crude. They were down right funny and i feel as though our society today does not allow one to laugh at ourselves whether true (OMG!!!) or not.

How would you feel if you're at a roast, sitting in the front row, and Don Rickles suddenly turns the spotlight on you and your date?

Today, i elect to begin being a person akin to the gent Don spotlighted in the Jerry Lewis roast and laugh with the crowd (at the jokes directed my way) instead of who i was yesterday.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Rickles? I'd sit down and take it like a man, and pay a small amount for the privilege.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Depends on who is doing the roasting and the situation.

I generally have a good sense of humor... If i know the person, and respect them, then no big deal. I can usually give as good as i get.

If not, prolly not.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Watching Man of the Hour and Sammy Davis Jr is the subject.

Oh my, talk about some border line career enders!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I checked Wikipedia to see if Don Rickles is still alive. He is - 90 years old. Smile

You have to be a good sport about getting "roasted." If you aren't capable of self-deprecation you won't like it. It reminds me of an episode of Frasier where he commissioned a caricature of himself, then was insulted at the result. It's a caricature. Big Grin If you're like this, don't go to an insult comic performance.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Like kevin. As long as its comedians i mostly like.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Nowadays they're just an excuse to be mean. I have zero interest. Think Ann Coulter/Rob Lowe.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the humor in that type of comedy. Getting laughs by humiliating your guests seems like a pretty lame crutch.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the old Dean Martin roasts. I thought they were well done and in the spirit of comedy.

The new stuff, that's been around for a couple years, is just downright nasty.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Don Rickles? Yeah.
Lisa Lampanelli, Melissa McCarthy, Sarah Silverman, Lewis Black or similar "comics", not a chance.

Don and those among his peers are and were true funnymen, the latter group, are and never will be "funny", only sad pathetic and angry people full of hate and throwing shit at people while laughing at them.

It's not the same thing.

There still are funny folks, but too many of the unfunny are permitted, and back in the day, they were scorned by both the professionals and the audience.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you aren't capable of self-deprecation you won't like it.

I am capable of self deprecation, in fact that is my go-to personal style, but I see no reason to sit through a character assassination made by people I disdain anyway.

I wouldn't be at a roast; not a major comic, not a local PTA.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Long story short, yes I can be the subject and have done so twice.

My 20th anniversary lunch at work last year turned into a roast. All of the impromptu roasters were my buddies who also roasted me at my 10 year anniversary lunch. The good news was no new funny stories about me in the last 10 years. Some of the people who have met me in the last few years were a little taken back.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
As long as it was directed at only me, I'm game. If you bring my daughter and or wife into it, no bueno.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Back then, the barbs were like finely sharpened knives and swords. You hardly felt the prick.

Nowadays, the first and only choice is to do the nuclear option and refer to the person's vagina, dick, or other shock statements.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Don Rickles? Yeah.
Lisa Lampanelli, Melissa McCarthy, Sarah Silverman, Lewis Black or similar "comics", not a chance.

Don and those among his peers are and were true funnymen, the latter group, are and never will be "funny", only sad pathetic and angry people full of hate and throwing shit at people while laughing at them.

It's not the same thing.

There still are funny folks, but too many of the unfunny are permitted, and back in the day, they were scorned by both the professionals and the audience.

+1

Back then, the Dean Martin Roasts were one of my never miss, play it again shows. So much talent and clever people who appreciated each other participated. I'm still not sure if they only had to kiss Sinatra's ring. Thanks Rickles Big Grin

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If you've been in the military, you've been roasted before. I can take the roasting but I can also dish it out. Big Grin

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If its my buddies/men I respect, not an issue. (AKA, I grew up in the South.)

Some dancing monkey/a jackass, I have no tolerance for that.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I saw the one about Jerry Lewis too. I never got Rickles when I was younger, seeing him on TV during the 70's. I love him now. Mr. Warmth. There were times during the Jerry Lewis roast where he did look a little butt hurt. But he was very gracious at the end, giving thanks to his fellow comedians.
And I would be OK with it as long as I got to roast them too.
The roasts are on GETV, MeTV, or one of those similar channels late at night on weekends.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern day liberals are not the democrats of the 50's and 60's. They can not seperate humor and harm in spoken word. What passed for humor in the old roasts was just that. Good clean humor. It was a bit self depricating to sit as the honored guest. Now they are crude, rude and vengeful. They have almost 0 humor that is not meant to be harmful. I pass on the new ones, the old ones are a riot to watch.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
As long as it makes me laugh, have at it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post