SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An NRA employee accidentally shot himself at the organization’s headquarters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An NRA employee accidentally shot himself at the organization’s headquarters Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:
If it turns out to be a Glock, or other similar striker fired handgun, it is a strong indicator of why I greatly prefer DA/SA semi-auto handguns.
Why? Because retarded people are more likely to ND a glock? Roll Eyes
Not really, but a hammer-fired gun, or one with a striker that protrudes from the rear of the slide like an H&K P7, will allow the shooter to feel what's going on with a thumb while holstering, and give an indication that something is wrong. A gun with an internal striker, like a Glock or a SIG P320, does not give a tactile indication that something like a piece of clothing, or maybe the drawstring of a windbreaker type jacket, might be snagged in the holster, ready to grab the trigger.

For this reason, I have thought that a Glock might be a great gun for the glove box or the nightstand, but with a belt holster there is a degree of exposure to AD / ND that is not present with, for example, a traditional SIG P2xx pistol.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Personal preference and all that yadayada I too prefer dao revolver or da/sa semi.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5564 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why? Because retarded people are more likely to ND a glock?
Roll Eyes

I carried a P226 for years, and recently switched to a G23. I do have to say that the Glock's trigger makes an ND a LOT more likely (far less trigger pull on a striker-fired pistol than a DA with the hammer down), as it's a more sensitive trigger pull (than my P226 with the hammer down).

And, yes, the foolish and/or careless ARE more likely to ND a Glock (or other striker-fired pistol), IMO. That's why we need training and familiarity with our weapons, whichever they may be.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Why? Because retarded people are more likely to ND a glock?
Roll Eyes

I carried a P226 for years, and recently switched to a G23. I do have to say that the Glock's trigger makes an ND a LOT more likely (far less trigger pull on a striker-fired pistol than a DA with the hammer down), as it's a more sensitive trigger pull (than my P226 with the hammer down).

And, yes, the foolish and/or careless ARE more likely to ND a Glock (or other striker-fired pistol), IMO. That's why we need training and familiarity with our weapons, whichever they may be.

I've equipped my carry G19 with one of Todd L. Green's (RIP) "gadgets" simply to copy holstering a striker fired pistol in the same manner as I do with my DA pistols.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
If it turns out to be a Glock, or other similar striker fired handgun, it is a strong indicator of why I greatly prefer DA/SA semi-auto handguns.
Why? Because retarded people are more likely to ND a glock? Roll Eyes
Not really, but a hammer-fired gun, or one with a striker that protrudes from the rear of the slide like an H&K P7, will allow the shooter to feel what's going on with a thumb while holstering, and give an indication that something is wrong. A gun with an internal striker, like a Glock or a SIG P320, does not give a tactile indication that something like a piece of clothing, or maybe the drawstring of a windbreaker type jacket, might be snagged in the holster, ready to grab the trigger.

For this reason, I have thought that a Glock might be a great gun for the glove box or the nightstand, but with a belt holster there is a degree of exposure to AD / ND that is not present with, for example, a traditional SIG P2xx pistol.

I appreciate the mention of the P7. Riding the extruded firing pin into the holster is another indictor that you could potentially have a problem. The P7M8 is my only striker fired handgun, but I still don't carry it.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1879 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Can we Que up the video of that cop, who was the only one qualified to carry a 40 caliber Glock, that shot himself while holstering said Glock.

DEA Agent - and he was not holstering, he pulled the trigger on what he thought was an unloaded gun.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elde:
I've equipped my carry G19 with one of Todd L. Green's (RIP) "gadgets" simply to copy holstering a striker fired pistol in the same manner as I do with my DA pistols.

What are you referring to?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com

This is now in all my Glocks.

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
One thing I wish to point out. We are ASSuming he had his finger on the trigger when he was reholstering. However, we really don't know much about much from this one article.
Even if it were a Glock, there are a couple other ways to get a Glock to discharge going into the holster without a finger. One is some type of foreign object (READ: the little elastic jacket thingys that are all the rage for clothing manufacturers to put on their stuff), and the other is that on some holsters cheaper holsters, it is possible to catch parts of the holster in the trigger guard and allow the gun to fire.

We just don't know. Until we otherwise know for sure, I'm going to give the dude the benefit of the doubt, instead of squabbling over assumptions of whether it was an accidental or negligent discharge.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chipster:

Thanks much. I had no idea such a device existed, but if I owned a Glock, I would definitely have one.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
(READ: the little elastic jacket thingys that are all the rage for clothing manufacturers to put on their stuff)...

Speaking of which, I recently got a Arcteryx LEAF jacket off the prize table. They use little tubes to capture those inside the jacket so they can't go into holsters.

Really a neat feature to see, it is obvious that come companies are listening and implementing changes in their tactical lines.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
When holstering a Glock, you can't ride the hammer. On the other hand, you can't forget to de-cock it either.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Can we Que up the video of that cop, who was the only one qualified to carry a 40 caliber Glock, that shot himself while holstering said Glock.

DEA Agent - and he was not holstering, he pulled the trigger on what he thought was an unloaded gun.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
When holstering a Glock, you can't ride the hammer. On the other hand, you can't forget to de-cock it either.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chipster:

Well, that's ingenious.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"Little elastic jacket thingies"? I'm sorry, but I'm totally in the dark about those. What are you talking about?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
"Little elastic jacket thingies"? I'm sorry, but I'm totally in the dark about those. What are you talking about?

I believe he's referring to the elastic waist adjustment cords (often with plastic cord locks and other decorative bits) that many jacket makers love to put at the 9:00 and 3:00 position, where they're in a great position to dangle into a holster and inadvertently work their way into a trigger guard while reholstering.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Word

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post