SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An NRA employee accidentally shot himself at the organization’s headquarters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An NRA employee accidentally shot himself at the organization’s headquarters Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Fairfax County, Virginia, police announced Friday that a 46-year-old man has suffered a minor injury and is undergoing medical treatment after he accidentally shot himself with a pistol at the headquarters of the National Rifle Association.

In its daily recap of incidents and crimes on Friday, the police department reported the accidental discharge took place at around 3:30 p.m. in the National Firearms Museum, which is based in the NRA’s Fairfax, Virginia, headquarters.

According to police, the man, an employee, was participating in firearms training at the shooting range located in the museum when he attempted to holster his pistol. As he did so, the weapon accidentally fired, injuring the man’s lower body. The man’s name was not disclosed and no charges are expected to be filed.

Still, many online were quick to seize upon the incident and mock it, given the NRA’s fierce lobbying against any form of gun control. “Cue up the Alanis Morrissette song,” one writer at the Huffington Post said. “NRA employee becomes poster child for gun safety,” the New York Post read.

The NRA has not issued any comment on the incident, and local media reports do not indicate whether the employee was leading the training session or simply working on his own.

The NRA claims to train more than 1 million people in gun safety every year and has trumpeted statistics from the Center for Disease Control that show relatively low numbers of accidental shooting deaths among children as proof that education, not regulation, works.

Still, Friday’s shooting appears to be at odds with some of the writing on the NRA’s website.

“Most cases of a firearm discharging unintentionally are properly called a ‘negligent discharge,’ although I suspect people prefer to use the term accident because it somehow implies no one was really at fault,” contributor Jim Wilson wrote in an article about accidental shootings.

Accidental discharges “generally signal serial errors and oversights, and perhaps technique flaws as well,” editor Frank Winn wrote in another article. “They also tell you a lot about the shooter who has one in terms of character, or at least that’s our opinion.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news...4.html#storylink=cpy

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
He needs to read this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Jim Supica will not be pleased.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Accidentally?

He had his finger inside the trigger guard while holstering.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
People have shot themselves with Glocks (and presumably guns with similar triggers) when something like a piece of clothing or folded over leather from a worn-out holster got into the trigger guard when holstering. I’m even aware of the same thing’s happening with a DAK P229, although that must have taken some effort on the part of the user. It’s not always the trigger finger that pulls the trigger in these incidents, and it’s a safety hazard in itself to not recognize that fact.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

Still, many online were quick to seize upon the incident and mock it, given the NRA’s fierce lobbying against any form of gun control.

What in God's name does this incident have to do with gun control?

Whatever. Stuff happens. This whole story is a big "meh" to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we Que up the video of that cop, who was the only one qualified to carry a 40 caliber Glock, that shot himself while holstering said Glock.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The NRA trains more than one million people a year. And the lib press jeers and mocks when there is one AD at their facility. The whole story is indeed a big "meh."

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11207 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
People have shot themselves with Glocks (and presumably guns with similar triggers) when something like a piece of clothing or folded over leather from a worn-out holster got into the trigger guard when holstering. I’m even aware of the same thing’s happening with a DAK P229, although that must have taken some effort on the part of the user. It’s not always the trigger finger that pulls the trigger in these incidents, and it’s a safety hazard in itself to not recognize that fact.

sigfreund, I don't have any experience with DAK or DAO Sig Sauer pistols. Is there an exposed hammer that one can put one's thumb behind when holstering? I had been taught this with DA/SA Sig Sauer pistols and really like the added safety.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, the word is negligent not accidental. Who would have thought guns could be dangerous. Glad he is Ok.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
If it turns out to be a Glock, or other similar striker fired handgun, it is a strong indicator of why I greatly prefer DA/SA semi-auto handguns.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1879 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I don't have any experience with DAK or DAO Sig Sauer pistols. Is there an exposed hammer that one can put one's thumb behind when holstering?

Yes.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to police, the man, an employee, was participating in firearms training at the shooting range located in the museum when he attempted to holster his pistol. As he did so, the weapon accidentally fired he accidentally fired the weapon, injuring the man’s lower body. The man’s name was not disclosed and no charges are expected to be filed.

Fixed it.

This correction makes a BIG difference, as the whole 'gun just went off' nonsense is (over-)used by the msm to imply firearms are excessively dangerous, and 'only trained LEOs should have them. . .'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Again, the word is negligent not accidental. Who would have thought guns could be dangerous. Glad he is Ok.

Accidents can happen as well. It's a fallacy to automatically consider every single unintentional discharge as a negligent one.

We as gun owners sometimes get way too hung up on terms.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
sigfreund, I don't have any experience with DAK or DAO Sig Sauer pistols. Is there an exposed hammer that one can put one's thumb behind when holstering? I had been taught this with DA/SA Sig Sauer pistols and really like the added safety.

Yes, both DAO and DAK pistols have exposed hammers and I teach my students who use Classic-line SIG to place their thumbs on the hammers when holstering for that reason. There are two types of DAO hammers, one with a normal spur and one that’s “bobbed,” and DAK hammers are also reduced in size, but they all can be felt when holstering.

As for terminology, “accidental” means unintentional—that’s all. It says nothing whatsoever about culpability. Accidents can be due to negligence or other reasons, but the term simply means that whatever happened wasn’t due to someone’s intent. Someone can get drunk and drive 30 mph over the speed limit on an icy road, but if he didn’t intend to slide off into a tree and kill himself at Dead Man’s Curve, it was still an accident.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Still, many online were quick to seize upon the incident and mock it, given the NRA’s fierce lobbying against any form of gun control.

What in God's name does this incident have to do with gun control?

Whatever. Stuff happens. This whole story is a big "meh" to me.

Our worthless paper has a very liberal views. They never miss an opportunity to talk about how dangerous guns are. And how we need gun control.

If this would have happened anywhere else, you would never hear about it. But it happened at the NRA headquarters. This just proves how dangerous they are, right? Roll Eyes Darn things just go off by themselves!

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:
If it turns out to be a Glock, or other similar striker fired handgun, it is a strong indicator of why I greatly prefer DA/SA semi-auto handguns.

Why? Because retarded people are more likely to ND a glock?
Roll Eyes

Posts: 5226 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Accidentally?

My thought as well.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Not necessarily. I personally know somebody who had that happen. Shot through the lower leg while holstering. This was during a formal training session, where each person had at least one and sometimes two instructor / coaches watching while holstering. Everybody agreed in this incident that the shooter's trigger finger was where it should be, laying along the side of the slide. The trigger was caught be a piece of clothing that was snagged in the holster.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:

Why? Because retarded people are more likely to ND a glock?
Roll Eyes

Evidently.

I, personally, carry a P30S. Apparently, that makes me double retarded. Wink

Seriously though, it all stems from my dad teaching me firearm safety in the field from as early as 8 years old. If he ever caught me pointing my squirrel or rabbit guns in an unsafe direction, all my guns were taken away for a week. A week during squirrel season is an eternity as a kid.

I have friends who love the 1911, but I will not carry any of mine. It is all a matter preference. My very first carry gun was a Smith 669, followed by a 6906. I imagine this is the reason for my preference, and why I do not trust my Glocks well enough to carry either. It's a free country. Carry what you prefer, safely.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1879 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post