SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A New Car Gadget I Approve Of
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A New Car Gadget I Approve Of Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I drove a new GMC Canyon about 175 miles yesterday to do a dealer trade for the local dealer. If you leave the turnllight on, it beeps at you and a light flashes. Something we have needed for a long time.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It was a bit more than twenty years ago that I had a Dodge Grand Caravan. It was a total piece of crap in most respects.

It had a similar feature to the one that you're talking about. If you left the turn signal on too long, there was an audible warning tone.

Probably aimed at the local market: How used car salesmen close a deal with a Geezer here in Florida, "Yes sir, the turn signal on this baby will stay on for as long as you own it!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I drove a new GMC Canyon about 175 miles yesterday to do a dealer trade for the local dealer. If you leave the turnllight on, it beeps at you and a light flashes. Something we have needed for a long time.

Provided the old geezer driving put his hearing aids in that morning.... and turned them on...

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
If you leave the turnllight on, it beeps at you and a light flashes. Something we have needed for a long time.

My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee does that--or so I'm told Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I recall that even the 50s & 60s cars had a clicking noise when activated.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Cars have given audible warnings that you've left your turn signal on for too long for quite a while.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My '03 Suburban will do that. I've had it for years and never had that happen until this summer on vacation we were driving through the desert and I put it on to pass somebody and forgot to turn it off. A minute or so later if started dinging at me....scared the hell out of me as I thought the engine was blowing up or something, and we definitely weren't in a good place to have that happen. Thankfully it was just the turn signal.

Posts: 8599 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My BMW has that… turn signals, who knew?

Posts: 2964 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just don't use turn signals. Problem solved. Wink

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just don't use turn signals. Problem solved.
There are two kinds of drivers around here:
  1. Those who don't use turn signals at all, and

2. Those who leave the left turn signal on, permanently.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
My '03 Suburban will do that.

Well, then, I probably wasn't misremembering it when I thought I recalled my 2007 Chevy Trailblazer had it, too.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
... [it] started dinging at me....scared the hell out of me as I thought the engine was blowing up or something ...

Same here, first time mine did it. I recall looking all over the dash, in a mild panic, wondering what the hell was wrong with my truck--then noticing the turn signal running.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand why they don't have a timer circuit to shut off after a given duration.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I install a higher capacity turn signal fluid reservoir on every new car or motorcycle.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Next they need to add a BLARING warning siren when you are driving under the posted speed limit on the interstate.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I install a higher capacity turn signal fluid reservoir on every new car or motorcycle.

Ahhhhhh, so you've had British stuff too ?

Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
My BMW has that… turn signals, who knew?

I see what you did there. Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16527 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My ancient '99 Cheby S10 does that, if you leave the turn signal on for about 2 minutes or so, it ding-dongs until you flip it off. I mean turn it off.

Come to think of it, it also has a traditional cigarette lighter plug for plugging your phones, gps, etc into. It also, amazingly for that old, 2 more 12 volt charging ports.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Provided the old geezer driving put his hearing aids in that morning.... and turned them on...

I resemble that remark!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15252 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late 60's early 70's Mopars had little lights on each fender that blinked with the turn signals. Extra loud flashers were available to plug into fuse panel.Put one in my dads truck.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My older brother needs a cannon going off to notify him to turn them off!!

Posts: 6627 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post