SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have rusty Taco Bells?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have rusty Taco Bells? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I get take-out tacos at Taco Bell about once a month. I've not noticed a building makeover at the one near me, but wouldn't worry about it. (Yes, I get my tacos without cheese.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Yep, that's it (corten). Technically it's a broad category of specialty steels meant to weather like that, and Cor-Ten is the most known brand, like calling all sodas Coke.

Like it or not, aesthetically, it's a somewhat common architectural element world wide.

I like it, myself, but I'm 100% in the modern architecture camp in almost every way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
People still eat at Taco bell?

after the great restaurant war is over all restaurants will be Taco Bell....

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I guess weathered copper is illegal in your parts too?

I pointed that out and was told it was different. Patina and rust. They're even spelled different for goodness sake. Big Grin

Some of you guys may be giggling, but a lot of this comes from national code that individual counties and cities can purchase and adopt. I would not be shocked in the slightest of many of you are living under the same set of Draconian rules and don't even realize it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I get take-out tacos at Taco Bell about once a month. I've not noticed a building makeover at the one near me, but wouldn't worry about it. (Yes, I get my tacos without cheese.)

flashguy

Shredded cheese for me. I’m not much of a fan of the squirt cheese they seem to put on everything now.

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
they just got through with a 3 month total resto on ours and no, no rust look at all

So the resto has no rusto?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have no opinion on the new look. I'll have to see one in person to comment on it.

As far as their food goes, I prefer it over Taco Time by a long shot. My favorite Mexican place is a little hole in the wall shack where the only one that speaks English is the guy at the counter. On Tuesdays their Carne Asada tacos are a buck apiece. I could care less what the place looks like and I'm there most Tuesdays.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Shredded cheese for me. I’m not much of a fan of the squirt cheese they seem to put on everything now.
TB here uses shredded cheese (I've seen it on other's).

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the highlights of my vacation time in Iraq was locating a taco bell stand in Kirkuk.

Until I found out they had no baja blast.

Baja Blast is God's gift to mankind. You're welcome.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
and is a fairly common architectural design element more often found in modern custom homes and the like.

It's illegal in my part of the world.

https://ecode360.com/27759606

quote:
Section 304.6 is amended to read as follows (added language in italics, deleted language in [brackets]):
Exterior walls. All exterior walls shall be free from holes, breaks and loose or rotting materials; and maintained weatherproof and properly surface coated where required to prevent deterioration. Exterior walls shall be free from mold and mildew. Painted exterior walls shall be free from faded colors that are not uniform, and touch up paint shall match the existing colors.

quote:
DETERIORATION: To weaken, disintegrate, corrode, rust or decay

It isn't actually deteriorating beyond a thin superficial sense, and does that by design. It's very strong, usually quite thick, and lasts a long damn time:

quote:
Corten is... a group of steel alloys which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable rust-like appearance after several years exposure to weather.

Also, such codes/laws are part of everything that's wrong with bloated government. They go well beyond function and safety and impose purely subjective standards just because some asshole at the time thought it made sense. I have negative-infinity love for such nonsense, especially nonsense carried out by the strong arm of the law. Idiotic bullshit.
A dozen plus years ago tgey tried the pre-rusted power poles. Looked like ass brand new and my metallurgist buddy pulled out an article on them failing within a few years of installation. Within a year I was seeing failures and replacements in the news.

In other words, color me skeptical that people with a glorified arts degree who were the lowest bidder for Taco Bell got it right

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Never once have I thought, Hey, I really hated that place last time I went, but heck, they have new architecture.... time to try it again!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Corten steel was popular in commercial buildings back in the 1970's.

I love Taco Bell! Own the building and land of the 2nd highest producing TB in our area. Big Grin

I even occasionally grab something to go from there.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit irritated with them for abandoning the green sauce on their cheese quesadillas in my area (not even a specialty option except buy your own off Amazon) in favor of some other baja or some such sauce.

That being said, that looks kind of nice on their restaurants.

As far as their food, I go their and get some 7 layer burritos and maybe another selection , poop for a bit after, and get on with life.

Some of the other joints like McDonald's will leave you feeling like you have the Ebola for several days after.

In that regard, foods not too bad.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I've read some threads of other members talking about Prednisone and opiate pain killer causing squibs in the poop shoot. Maybe it should be mandatory to eat Taco Bell with every dose of said prescriptions..

Just a thought.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I remember IBM had a building like that in Bethesda, MD.
They nicknamed it the "Rust Bucket".

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Due to the problems with painting and maintenance, weathering steel/Cor-ten is fairly popular for steel bridges. Member sections are usually heavier for bridges so the steel weathers to get the protective layer of corrosion and then it stabilizes, eliminating the need for painters hanging under the deck and girders. At least that’s what the DOTs tell us.

I do Taco Bell near the office once or twice a year when I’m working really late. It’s convenient, fast, and not too expensive.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Due to the problems with painting and maintenance, weathering steel/Cor-ten is fairly popular for steel bridges.

A famous example is the New River Gorge Bridge in WV.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm in the minority here. I like Taco Bell. It is what it is when you set your expectations appropriately.

Their quesoritos are pretty good.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Guess I'm in the minority here. I like Taco Bell. It is what it is when you set your expectations appropriately.

Their quesoritos are pretty good.

Yes, don't expect 5 star dining, expect maybe a slight uprise from your inner biotics, and you are golden.

I often tell my Other Half I feel like I have the flu after binging in some yummy (at the time) fast food. Fuck Off and take a digestive aid is usually the answer, None of this with taco bell.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
People still eat at Taco bell?

We have one. It has the slowest drive through anywhere. Haven’t wasted time sitting in line for years.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post